Player Watch Billy Dowling - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess there are different aspects to being an athlete

He is an elite endurance athlete able to run at max speed over and over and with an AFL weights program is going to be a very powerful unit

IMO that will help overcome any speed issues
so a bit like Dane Swan..not the fastest player but he had an engine that he just kept going all day

lots of kicks, not so many that weren't shots on goal or long kicks to a contest. Hit up 1 good target in the 50, missed another but wasn't far off and it was the right decision and then the simple 15m pass at half back. Nothing bad, but nothing suggesting a quality leg in a midfielder context.

🥃

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Curious did he interview well re moving away from home. A lot of Players in the 20plus group get downgraded on lists if they are seen as a flight risk
Don't know if this is the case but asking if someone knows,
Because a Kid that averages 30, Kicks Goals, is a repeat runner, and has Football IQ going at 43 is a surprise.

Curious did he interview well re moving away from home. A lot of Players in the 20plus group get downgraded on lists if they are seen as a flight risk
Don't know if this is the case but asking if someone knows,
Because a Kid that averages 30, Kicks Goals, is a repeat runner, and has Football IQ going at 43 is a surprise.
Grew up a collingwood supporter and mentioned numerous times in radio interviews etc how he’d go anywhere with pleasure to have an AFL career

Well that's interesting, because in reality his kicking is actually one of the question marks. I'll take my info from someone at St Peters:

View attachment 1565293
“By all reports”

So is the person actually involved with Dowlings footy or does he just heard things about him because he works at St. Peter’s ?

Very complete athletic profile.

And I disagree with Jeff re his kicking, he's no Sam Mitchell or Jordan Dawson but it doesn't concern me one bit, it's perfectly adequate for the role he'll play.

The numbers tell the story for Dowling, he's one of the best accumulators in this year's draft class. At 187cm, Dowling is a great size for a midfielder and his ability to cover the ground allows him to win a large percentage of his possessions uncontested. His ability to work between both arcs, supporting his teammates in defence, while also pushing forward to hit the scoreboard, makes him a tough cover for any opposing midfielder.

Dowling is a pretty safe user by foot. From the back half, he rarely tries to take on an aggressive kick, preferring to hit up shorter targets and maintain possession. Improving his capacity to be a more creative user would help take his game to another level. This would likely require a shift in mindset, as Dowling appears to have the talent and skill level required to be more damaging with his disposal.

Where Dowling maximises the value of his possessions is inside forward 50, where he can be a legitimate scoring threat. Sharp on the lead, capable in the air and clean below his knees, Dowling is a tough match up when stationed inside forward 50. He doesn't need to be positioned in the forward line to hit the scoreboard though, his ability to cover the ground allows him to push inside 50 from the midfield to create goalscoring opportunities.

Though certainly outside leaning, Dowling is a capable midfielder at stoppage, showing plenty of ability to read the ball off the ruck and stack up the clearances. Although he'll need to build more strength to compete on the inside at AFL level, his natural ball winning instincts at the contest suggests he could develop that inside-outside balance.

What will also appeal to AFL clubs is Dowling's versatility and ability to potentially fill a variety of roles at AFL level. The South Australian has spent time through the midfield, on the wing and across half forward throughout his junior career, but with his aerial ability and athletic profile, a role across half-back could also be an option for Dowling at the next level.
Yes but wasn't the promise before this draft polish and speed

ok rankine is the speed. check

where is the polish? not one elite kick. concerning despite the athletic profile?

Not a whole lot yet I don't think?

North-Dowling.jpg
He’s already very well built and looks powerful for a young kid..

crazy seeing 18/19 lads these days with arms like that..

0B8E94E2-81FF-4521-9872-6A37820170FE.jpeg

edit: and Geeezuz.. look at Rach’s arms in the background!..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends what position? I heard they were trialling him in defence in the pre-season. Perhaps there are no spots available to break into the midfield and the defence is our weakest area.
Schoenberg is definitely not a lock.

Depends what position? I heard they were trialling him in defence in the pre-season. Perhaps there are no spots available to break into the midfield and the defence is our weakest area.

Defense is a good starting position. More confined and less pressure is kind of a good thing. Especially if Dowling has a good leg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back