Player Watch Billy Dowling - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Hasn't BACCS said his recruiter mate rates Billy's kicking?

I've watched a fair bit of Billy's footy on the SANFL app and I really don't think it's a concern. If I had a knock on it it would be more that he tends to take the safe option so maybe with a bit more confidence he can add a bit more of an attacking edge....when he actually puts the hoof into it he has a quite penetrating kick so distance is not a problem.
I agree from what I've seen kicking isn't the issue.
General athleticism is my concern. If he can become an AFL standard athlete there's no reason he doesn't become a high quality midfielder.

Hasn't BACCS said his recruiter mate rates Billy's kicking?

I've watched a fair bit of Billy's footy on the SANFL app and I really don't think it's a concern. If I had a knock on it it would be more that he tends to take the safe option so maybe with a bit more confidence he can add a bit more of an attacking edge....when he actually puts the hoof into it he has a quite penetrating kick so distance is not a problem.

If he can get the ball and start it moving, and his kicking prowess is somewhere between Keays and Dawson, I’ll be happy 😄

Your post with no indication of the person making the comments , indicated “ he understands Dowling is a good Capt” …. so whoever it is, isn’t that close

Also, in school footy, your kicking depends on the movement in front of you …. which being a lowly school, isn’t surprising 😛

That was my go too excuse
Thought you were a high flying FF? More like FOS 😉

If you're going to quote me, at least quote me correctly.

As usual, people will take the info they want and discard what doesn't fit their purpose. All good, I like the pick, just sharing what I've been told.

Last edited:

As usual, people will take the info they want and discard what doesn't fit their purpose. All good, I like the pick, just sharing what I've been told.
I think it's a good pick for 43.
If it comes off an he becomes a centre square midfielder we win the draft.

Don't mock my historical legacy :moustache:

To me seems boom or bust.
If he makes he will be a very good player.

Honestly, I don't know if he comes off as that to me. Seems more the type who has a solid game, but doesn't have a well defined trajectory at this point then a true boom/bust prospect where there is one-two standout trades and praying being in a professional program fixes everything else.

Good size (+ room to grow, seeing he could feasibly add 12-15 kg to that frame), apparently a solid athletic profile and a U18 stat line of 30.9 disposals/4.9 clearances/1.5 goals/6.8 marks/4.5 tackles per game in his draft year at U18s. Seems like the type of kid teams should be fawning over, unless they truly think the SA U18s is an absolutely garbage competition, or he's genuinely limited to being a role player in a squad (and there is nothing wrong with that at all).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worked well last draft didn't it and I think most will be surprise with Pedlar, he has shown what he can do in the SANFL Finals. Gallucci was Pyke's pick and strangely Jones has the attribute to be an A grade midfielder with elite pace, endurance and strong tackler and can kick both sides.

Nearly nobody will be surprised with Pedlar in terms of what he can do if AFL level fit and uninjured. The only concern with him that I've ever read is whether his body is capable of being AFL level fit and uninjured at the same time.

Ball use by foot and speed prob the 2 main things although when you can run all day like he can speed doesn’t matter too much

Consistent prolific ball winner at all levels this year , I don’t think anyone outside of Ashcroft ( possibly Tsatas ) found more of the pill

Be interesting watch re his kicking after being in a professional environment , time will tell

So weaknesses are just ball use by foot and speed. Strengths is can run all day and rack up possessions. Certainly presents like he'll fill a gaping hole in our midfield rotation.

So weaknesses are just ball use by foot and speed. Strengths is can run all day and rack up possessions. Certainly presents like he'll fill a gaping hole in our midfield rotation.
Pretty much the 2 things that held him back from being a 1st rounder

But his repeat running is elite and makes him look quicker than he is , the balance inside / outside game is as good as any , footy IQ and ball winning are good

He’s definitely got some things going for him if he improves his average kicking

Nearly nobody will be surprised with Pedlar in terms of what he can do if AFL level fit and uninjured. The only concern with him that I've ever read is whether his body is capable of being AFL level fit and uninjured at the same time.
More so getting himself AFL fit, we've got the best in the industry working with him. Just need to look at Fogarty being able to work up the field and run out games now, even early in the season he was showing his improve fitness by getting to more contest up field but giving away a lot of free by trying to out body his opponent.

I agree from what I've seen kicking isn't the issue.
General athleticism is my concern. If he can become an AFL standard athlete there's no reason he doesn't become a high quality midfielder.
I guess there are different aspects to being an athlete

He is an elite endurance athlete able to run at max speed over and over and with an AFL weights program is going to be a very powerful unit

IMO that will help overcome any speed issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back