Player Watch Billy Dowling - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing I like about him is his game is so well rounded already. You could put him in multiple positions and expect him to perform.
Hard to put a player comparison on him, he's quite unique.
He looks to have skill to me. He did some very strong handballs on the weekend and lowered his head and delivered the ball precisely to many of our goalkickers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Crouch getting a week creates the opportunity for Dowling now?
Realistically, all Crouch being suspended does is clear a path for Berry to be elevated from sub to Crouch’s normal role, so there’s a sub vacancy.

Nicks has shown a strong dislike for debutants starting in the sub vest (can’t remember the last time he’s done this, if ever), so I doubt that happens. Pedlar, Sholl and McHenry are by far the most likely sub candidates against Essendon. Cook would be a chance also.

Dowling’s best hope of debuting against the Bombers is replacing McHenry in the 22. McHenry is absolutely going to be dropped (either to sub, or the SANFL), so there’s a starting 22 spot there. One of Pedlar, Dowling or Sholl will take that spot. It doesn’t necessarily mean Dowling plays exactly the same ROLE as McHenry (don’t even ask me what that role is, I am still recovering from having the misfortune of watching Ned end his own career), but it’s possible that someone from within the 22 like Jones or Keays could switch to whatever role they want to call that. Personally I would love to see Dowling on a wing, a lot more than I want to see Jones there. Jones would be better suited in defence - perhaps in Smith’s role. Etc.

Personally, I would drop McHenry altogether, bring Dowling into the 22 (for Ned, but shuffle Chayce into a different role to allow Dowling to take a wing), bring Berry into the 22 (for Crouch) and start Pedlar as sub. I’d also absolutely be ditching both Smith and Butts (for Curtin and Borlase), but the Smith and Butts selections really don’t have any bearing on a Dowling debut.

Personally, I would drop McHenry altogether, bring Dowling into the 22 (for Ned, but shuffle Chayce into a different role to allow Dowling to take a wing), bring Berry into the 22 (for Crouch) and start Pedlar as sub. I’d also absolutely be ditching both Smith and Butts (for Curtin and Borlase), but the Smith and Butts selections really don’t have any bearing on a Dowling debut.
Don't mind that at all. It won't happen, but I don't mind it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back