Player Watch Billy Dowling - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Levy Wtf GIF by CBC

Depends what position? I heard they were trialling him in defence in the pre-season. Perhaps there are no spots available to break into the midfield and the defence is our weakest area.
After what we saw last week, I find the idea that there are no spots in our midfield available to break into crushingly depressing.

After what we saw last week, I find the idea that there are no spots in our midfield available to break into crushingly depressing.

It isn't when the player in question is Dowling (or Taylor, Nankervis etc). Too young and too underdeveloped in a midfield group that the vast majority of players fall into that category. So it's a move that doesn't do anything particularly positive at this juncture.

They have a good future, but it's about finding somewhere to stick them in the AFL side and let them build their bodies up.

Liked Billy in that trial game weeks ago. He and Taylor need to get midfield time. Soligo a good start but the selection of Murphy instead of a Gollant or Newchurch. I'm concerned again that Nicks is chasing wins over development. This is a short term view by Nicks imo.

Crows could win 11 games and threaten if it all goes right. At the expense of Borlase, Newchurch, Taylor, Pedlar (In the middle) Gollant, Warrell, Dowling, Thilthorpe ect. From AFL experience and a Premiership by 25-26

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I haven't seen much of this kid but I've heard some good things about him on BF. I haven't seen much SANFL lately, the last game probably the Showdown. Does this lad have any speed does anyone know? He looks strongly built for a young guy, I'm just hoping I suppose that he's not a M. Crouch mark 2.

I haven't seen much of this kid but I've heard some good things about him on BF. I haven't seen much SANFL lately, the last game probably the Showdown. Does this lad have any speed does anyone know? He looks strongly built for a young guy, I'm just hoping I suppose that he's not a M. Crouch mark 2.
Got to watch the last half of the SANFL game live before the Pies, I had to look him up, saw this number 31 and thought he must be a top up but playing really well, did some really nice things in close, then blow me down it was Billy. I think we could have another good prospect there.

If he wins a B&F and AA like M Crouch did then that would be a pretty good return for pick 43.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what little I've seen of him there wouldn't seem to be any basis for a Matt Crouch comparison.

Seems to have a lot more run and carry about him (and for the moment is playing outside in any event)

He is tracking along well. Has a football brain and is a goalkicker. He is a good size - 188cm and has reasonable pace. Short kicking needs work as his kicks can often be a little loopy or off target.
Spot on

This kid can’t help but find the footy which can’t be taught , he just has an ability to get the ball which is similar to Rory Laird but with different traits

He’s a very good endurance runner and gets across the whole ground to win possession

I’d say he’s slightly more outside biased than inside but he’s pretty balanced

Agree re his kicking , from what I’ve seen it’s improved alot on last year which is a good sign , was one of recruiters main knocks on him last year

I’d say kicking and absolute speed were main reasons he didn’t go 1st round or top 25 but he will end up better than alot that did

Spot on

This kid can’t help but find the footy which can’t be taught , he just has an ability to get the ball which is similar to Rory Laird but with different traits

He’s a very good endurance runner and gets across the whole ground to win possession

Agree re his kicking , from what I’ve seen it’s improved alot on last year which is a good sign , was one of recruiters main knocks on him last year

I’d say kicking and absolute speed were main reasons he didn’t go 1st round or top 25 but he will end up better than alot that did

Kicking seemed to be the only knock the various phantom drafts had on him at the time. He was pretty consistently rated as a third round selection who might bolt into the second round, but that was it.

Was the standout U18 performer from SA, ahead of Phillipou. Even with poor kicking you'd think he would be rated higher. I can only guess there were some concerns over his athletic traits?

Watching the replay, I have no idea why Dowling slid to 43. Just looks like one of those lads who does everything well.
The thing I like about him is his game is so well rounded already. You could put him in multiple positions and expect him to perform.
Hard to put a player comparison on him, he's quite unique.

Spot on

You've basically described this boy, my friend:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back