News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the new stand go up during the 2018 season? Will there be a reduced capacity for a while then 40k late in the season?
What will the 2019 onwards capacity be?

Does the new stand go up during the 2018 season? Will there be a reduced capacity for a while then 40k late in the season?
What will the 2019 onwards capacity be?
it was my understanding the new stand is only temporary. it does seem like a lot of effort just for a month of the games, but it's possible they might be able to construct it during the 2017 offseason, as not to disrupt any games in 2016.

Well done to the Titans who move into their new training facilities in Parkwood today.

b1e69b06eb70abed41b0ef490bb7953d

Anyone attend a Metricon tour today? A few nuggets of info were discovered.
  • The lighting is currently being upgraded from 1000 LUX to 2500 LUX for cricket broadcasting.
  • The upgrade in seating is definitely going to be temporary.
  • The Suns will move into their new training and administration facilities in February.
  • The club won't be able to use the ground from December 2017 and will be able to use the ground again from 31 May 2018.
  • The big screen will be removed during the Commonwealth Games and two smaller screens will be installed around the stadium. One placed in the western corporate area and the other hanging from the southern goal end.
  • The oval next to the stadium will become almost useless once the new training facilities are complete and they anticipate it will be used for cricket related activities like growing a pitch.
  • Queensland Cricket are spending quite a bit of money preparing the drop in pitch from next week and plan to host a Brisbane Heat game at Metricon in 2018. Unsure if that meant 2017-18 or 2018-19.
  • The goal from there is to hopefully establish a Gold Coast franchise in 2019.
  • Cricket aspirations also include bidding to host a World Cup game in 2020.

• The lighting is currently being upgraded from 1000 LUX to 2500 LUX for cricket broadcasting.
  • The Suns will move into their new training and administration facilities in February.
  • The club won't be able to use the ground from December 2017 and will be able to use the ground again from 31 May 2018.
  • The big screen will be removed during the Commonwealth Games and two smaller screens will be installed around the stadium. One placed in the western corporate area and the other hanging from the southern goal end.
  • The oval next to the stadium will become almost useless once the new training facilities are complete and they anticipate it will be used for cricket related activities like growing a pitch.
  • Queensland Cricket are spending quite a bit of money preparing the drop in pitch from next week and plan to host a Brisbane Heat game at Metricon in 2018. Unsure if that meant 2017-18 or 2018-19.

I am so very excited for cricket at Metricon. Going to be such a good thing for the GC.

Finally no code fighting, just a universal love of cricket :thumbsu:

I Thought they were supposed to move into new facilities at the end of October 2016 . No surprises more delays .

Songcheng plans to build an entertainment park in the Gold Coast city of Queensland. The investment for the first phase will be around RMB 2 billion
Shenzhen-listed Songcheng Performance announced on November 9 that its fully-owned subsidiary Songcheng Australia Entertainment plans to raise RMB 2 billion for the first-phase development of an attraction on the Gold Coast, Queensland of Australia. The attraction will showcase Australia’s legends.

The project will be located in the Nerang suburb of Gold Coast city, one of Australia’s fast-growing areas and top international destinations. The park will comprise an entrance square, a theater that shows a series of shows about Australia’s legends, and a local cultural theme park. Of the first-phase investment, Songcheng plans to allocate RMB 335 million on land acquisition and RMB 1.533 billion on planning and construction.

The Gold Coast already has a number of theme parks, such as Dreamworld, Sea World and Warner Bros Movie World, and Songcheng sees a gap in offering a performance-focused park that the group intends to fill with the planned attraction.

So it sounds like this company (Songcheng Australia) plans on purchasing the Nerang site just up the road from Metricon and wants to build an "Australia's Legends" theme park. 2 billion RMB equates to nearly $400 mill AUD and that's just phase 1.

Interesting development...

The new $800 million theme park development story is on the front page of the Gold Coast Bulletin today. Could change the area completely if it goes ahead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So drove past Metricon on Thursday, 8 weeks after my last drive by and I can't see any progression, I hope a lot is happening internally because externally I couldn't see a difference

It's already overdue and the handover date moved from Nov to Dec to Feb, bring on the union watchdog I say

So drove past Metricon on Thursday, 8 weeks after my last drive by and I can't see any progression, I hope a lot is happening internally because externally I couldn't see a difference

It's already overdue and the handover date moved from Nov to Dec to Feb, bring on the union watchdog I say

There's a lot happening at the rear of the buildings, landscaping, pathways, the new training oval, etc.

Definitely frustrating it's behind schedule but come late Jan/early Feb when we move in the joints is going to be as mint as Faf.

There is a large article in the GC Bulletin today (front page) detailing the new theme park planned just up the road from Metricon. The park will be known as 'Australian Legends World' and will feature all sorts of historical/cultural performances based on Australian history. Notable elements include an Aboriginal cultural village, a replica HMS Endeavour (you can see it in the picture below) for a performance based on the arrival of Captain Cook, performances based on the gold rush era, performances based on Australian soldiers and their experiences in foreign conflicts, the story of how modern Australia came to be, replica Chinese villages, an indoor ice/snow world and a small wildlife park. Apparently the group is keen to begin work ASAP on the $600 million first stage.

The article also mentions they plan to establish a ferry service that will travel the Nerang River to Surfers Paradise via Metricon. Exciting stuff!

lWmwMH9.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back