Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is you slowly start to fill the list with guys that probably won't make it because you really do need to give them at least an AFL preseason. Then all of a sudden you risk just adding list cloggers to the list, particularly if you've gone mature age.

Hence why I say take young players with upside or don't draft at all. 3 is pushing it, probably filling the list with too many state league level players isn't a great thing.
No issue taking 3 or more if there are spots available. The only issue is the length of agreement. Some players ask for a minimum of 2 years like Bauer. If you draft them you can decline their want for a an extension but give a train on offer and would get to assess them with a preseason under their belt.

Really depends on the players you take

Say for example we take Howe with our 1st and Skaife is still available at our 2nd pick and a mid at the 3rd or even a small foward then you get a good look at them for the rest of the season and see them close up
Sure they wont all make it if any but always easier to hit a target if you have 3 shots

Can always delist end of the year if not upto the level
juss makes a good point about possibly topping up the list with excess state players , but you’re right that it could only be short term and with our injuries it would be easy to do. If they’re not good enough then we move them on like Tom Bradtke Hawkins. The other benefit would be is we would get better state players into our VFL team which is being crippled by all the injuries at both levels now.

Last edited:

Just take the best flipping player between 20-23 yrs old that can come in and play this season and can be apart of the future. Surely with a top 3 pick we can find someone in the whole of Australia that can play decent AFL football. Offer them 2 years. Who cares what position they play.

Just take the best hecking player between 20-23 yrs old that can come in and play this season and can be apart of the future. Surely with a top 3 pick we can find someone in the whole of Australia that can play decent AFL football. Offer them 2 years. Who cares what position they play.

Knowing our club, it will be some bush-league kid who no one has ever heard of with our 1st pick LOL

Wheels have been set in motion...

iu

juss makes a good point about possibly topping up the list with excess state players , but you’re right that it could only be short term and with our injuries it would be easy to do. If they’re not good enough then we move them on like Tom Bradtke Hawkins. The other benefit would be is we would get better state players into our VFL team which is being crippled by all the injuries at both levels now.
Provided the player has the talent and work ethic and is young enough i dont think its a major issue specially with KPP

KPP usually take 2-3 years before getting a body big enough to compete so a Kid like Howes is really still a kid and if he is competing against men and is at the level then whats to lose. He may have just had a bad draft year or a late developer

Height: 196cm
Weight: 91kgs (i made this up)
D.O.B: 28-10-2005

Just as an FYi
Kane McAuliffe
D.O.B: 01-03-2005

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess, but even looking at their current list doesn't inspire me. Then again, maybe it's their coach that makes them such a boring team to watch.
I think that's Ross the Boss.

To correct my post before it was 2 years in charge. 4 of his 5 picks from last draft have already played with Schoenmaker the slider for off field issues but looked good in the pre season game he played.

It's weird they cut him tbh

Really depends on the players you take

Say for example we take Howe with our 1st and Skaife is still available at our 2nd pick and a mid at the 3rd or even a small foward then you get a good look at them for the rest of the season and see them close up
Sure they wont all make it if any but always easier to hit a target if you have 3 shots

Can always delist end of the year if not upto the level
I agree with you especially when the word is that there aren’t many good KPP in the upcoming national draft and the best available with our first pick will probably be a mid. If we could get Bella and one of Skaife or Howe added to Fawcett that would give us a good spread of age and maturity for our next kpf

I think that's Ross the Boss.

To correct my post before it was 2 years in charge. 4 of his 5 picks from last draft have already played with Schoenmaker the slider for off field issues but looked good in the pre season game he played.

It's weird they cut him tbh
Yeah Ross bringing in his own team. Plenty at the Saints were p!ssed off about it, believing Toce was doing a good job. Roughy quit over it.

Joe Pike and Will McLaughlin named in the best players for the Geelong Falcons, with Pike BOG.

The ideal selections would be Noah Howes and Joe Pike, although I can't see Pike lasting that long.

Joe Pike and Will McLaughlin named in the best players for the Geelong Falcons, with Pike BOG.

The ideal selections would be Noah Howes and Joe Pike, although I can't see Pike lasting that long.
Pike most likely will be the 1st Ruckman selected doubt he would be available

I agree with you especially when the word is that there aren’t many good KPP in the upcoming national draft and the best available with our first pick will probably be a mid. If we could get Bella and one of Skaife or Howe added to Fawcett that would give us a good spread of age and maturity for our next kpf
And the hope that at least 1-2 come good , we really should get three in , 6mth contract we got nothing to lose , I can see it happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Back