adelcrows

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2001
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool,Yankees,E Freo!
I know this was spoken about but anyone watching the Hawks Blues game?

An almost identical scenario when I think Sicily took a mark in the wing and same as Mills took off, was tackled almost the same and same time as Mills..

Result - Holding the ball, advantage so play on.

Now I look forward to what the umpires boss has to say.

Only brought this up as I just saw it and it was identical.

An almost identical scenario when I think Sicily took a mark in the wing and same as Mills took off, was tackled almost the same and same time as Mills..

it doesn't matter in the big picture, but if you look the replay, Mills is laying on the ground and slams his hand into the ground because he thought he had been caught for holding the ball.

Umpires boss will state that it was a correct decision.

It was a correct decision because the umpire didn't call play on. That's how they'll portray it.

I've already made a response in the other "Umpiring" thread. I think if it was an obvious howler of a decision, I think a good idea is for the other Umpires to jump in and reverse a decision. Or in the very least, never put a situation whereby it's an Umpire's error in judgment call become a 50m against penalty for the player who actually deserves a free!

One more thing I would like to add, is that I've noticed a few similar decisions like this happening. There was one where Tex was manning the Geelong player in a previous game in the forward 50, and the player played on, and the Umpire was late to call it "play on", and Tex instinctively chased the player (like Betts), and was penalised for playing on without the Umpire blowing his whistle.
I can imagine late in games, Umpires can be a bit tired, and their reflexes in blowing the whistle or call "play on" might be a fraction delayed. Also players adrenaline might be at its peak during the last few minutes of the matches, and they might be a tad too eager to chase down their opposition. Not sure if anything needs to be changed, but it's an observation I feel worthwhile to point out.

Frustrating thing with this one is that Mills essentially took off in the same split second he completed the mark, there was no way the umpire could have legitimately blew his whistle for a mark and then called play on. Betts had no choice but to tackle otherwise Mills would have been 15 meters away by the time anything was called. Betts shouldn't have to wait for the umpire to call play on in such a situation. Essentially, the play on should be implied, the umpire just has to agree that the player with the footy had actually played on, which was pretty obviously the case in this situation, or at least it was to me 150 meters in the stand...

If in doubt, Mills should have been called back behind the mark, I thought the player had the right to hold another player up if he's gone beyond his mark in the marking attempt.

Whistle, you play to the whistle. If the umpire has not called play on you can't tackle the player, it's the rules, correct decision :-(

But we all know that instinct over rides the whistle which is always a second behind what is happening. Correct decision but we got a golden run all night with the 50/50s so can't complain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 50m penalty was technically correct but the umpire had absolutely no feel for the game and should have called played on immediately

The umpire who was 5 metres away was doing that pause thing they do before they call holding the ball. Unfortunately, Pannell who was 50 metres away called the penalty before the first umpire blew the whistle.

The 50m penalty was technically correct but the umpire had absolutely no feel for the game and should have called played on immediately
He should have done it immediately, but he also still had the chance to over rule. He just gawks while Pannell comes charging in to pay 50, most likely fully erect.

Whistle, you play to the whistle. If the umpire has not called play on you can't tackle the player, it's the rules, correct decision :-(

But we all know that instinct over rides the whistle which is always a second behind what is happening. Correct decision but we got a golden run all night with the 50/50s so can't complain.
There is no whistle for play on.

Technically there but as others have said very poor feel for the game. Also didn't they let Mills play on whilst setting the 50, didn't think you could do that either. Or it was a very quick kick to Reid

I actually don't mind what happened in the grand scheme of things.

We had the rub of the green all night and there was a big free kick count discrepancy. Until the Mills incident, the perception was we were being gifted easy frees. If we had have won, the media would be discussing how Adelaide get home town bias, "crowd affirmation" etc leading in to finals. The umpires would have then officiated accordingly in the first final - making it harder for us. You know what the umpires are like - they respond to the trends.

Instead, we got reamed on that decision, and everyone from Roos to Brereton to Whateley are saying we got the rough end of the pineapple.

I actually don't mind what happened in the grand scheme of things.

We had the rub of the green all night and there was a big free kick count discrepancy. Until the Mills incident, the perception was we were being gifted easy frees. If we had have won, the media would be discussing how Adelaide get home town bias, "crowd affirmation" etc leading in to finals. The umpires would have then officiated accordingly in the first final - making it harder for us. You know what the umpires are like - they respond to the trends.

Instead, we got reamed on that decision, and everyone from Roos to Brereton to Whateley are saying we got the rough end of the pineapple.

Trouble is not all free kicks are equal, a free kick on the half back flank for a hold in a ball up situations means jack squat. Incorrectly calling a 50m pentalty for one side, instead of holding the ball for the other in a crucial moment which ends up changing whole momentum of a game, that's a big free kick and a big one to get wrong.

He should have done it immediately, but he also still had the chance to over rule. He just gawks while Pannell comes charging in to pay 50, most likely fully erect.

Just like Hayden Kennedy will come out and justify the 50, umpires will never overrule each other, have to show solidarity with each other. No holding each other accountable.

It was a correct decision because the umpire didn't call play on. That's how they'll portray it.

And noone will question whether the umpire erred by failing to have called play on ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back