shake_and_bake

All Australian
Jul 4, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
australian cricket team
2 topics in the one thread as you can see.

1st of all i saw in the paper that the new leadership group has pretty much been confirmed

In: selwood, bartel, ablett,
Out: mooney, rooke, chapman

great for selwood to be voted in by his peers, only 20 years old and into his 3rd season, this makes it almost certain he will be a future captain if not the next one.

also simon hogan is apparently going great guns and looks set to debut early this season but will obviously have to impress in the nab cup, this is really good for our depth.

Why are Chapman and Mooney (Mooney especially) are out of the leadership group? I wonder what the logic of that is?
Dunno how many are in the group or how the whole thing is supposed to work, but would have thought that these two experienced, passionate players would be pretty important on field leaders. Mooney especially seems to have thrived with being seen as a leadership figure.
Having said that, can't argue with the three new inclusions.

I would suggest Chappy may need the time to make sure he's 100% fit, something he hasn't been since 2004. Regardless he will still be a leader. When he talks, people listen.

I don't rate Mooney as a leader one bit, so i'm actually glad he's out.

2 topics in the one thread as you can see.

1st of all i saw in the paper that the new leadership group has pretty much been confirmed

In: selwood, bartel, ablett,
Out: mooney, rooke, chapman

i don't think it was anything confirmed.It was just comments from Ling.

Link

Glad to see Simon Hogan get a mention.

I said it last year, but i believe that Hogan will be in our best team by years end and will be a 10-year footballer.

He's a good kid, works extremely hard, has elite fitness and athleticism and his footskills are, for the most part, delightful.

All he needs is a little more bulk and an opportunity.

Glad to see Simon Hogan get a mention.

I said it last year, but i believe that Hogan will be in our best team by years end and will be a 10-year footballer.

He's a good kid, works extremely hard, has elite fitness and athleticism and his footskills are, for the most part, delightful.

All he needs is a little more bulk and an opportunity.

He also needs to win more of the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

glad mooney's been removed from the leadership group. He's not a leader and never has been. Just look at him in clutch games; he never steps up...

Delighted Selwood has been promoted. He should be our next captain after Harley steps aside.

Good to see Hogan going well. It is crucial he steps up with a few depth midfielders leaving the club.

Has anyone seen or heard how the new Draftees and Rookies are going? Barely heard a whisper about them.

let's hope he isn't just a March Champion ;)

I agree with diablo. Mooney should be out after his GF performance and Chappy needs to worry about just getting his body right. 2 years now he has played through injury and last year it showed.

Bit harsh here. He had plenty of friends. Can't really write him off after a poor Grand Final. He had a handy one the year previous.

I think some people need to understand the difference between stepping aside and being pushed to demotion. Pretty sure, in the case of Moons, Chapman, and Rooke, it was the former.

Was only a matter of time before the Ablett/Bartel/Selwood trio stepped up to a more official role. Their leadership work around the club has been very evident and public the last season and a half. The grooming has been taking place for awhile now.

Interesting to see (if the club maintains the C, VC, DVC structure of past seasons) who steps up to Moons' vacated DVC role. Can't imagine any of the new trio stepping up so fast. Smithy perhaps? Would be a fantastic reward, and speak volumes of the regard with which he's held within the club.

Where have you been, GeeCat?!

Your post is backed up by what Moons had to say on the subject:

"

Mooney said the changing of the guard was crucial for the development of the team.
"If we are going to go anywhere the younger blokes are going to have to take control a bit more," he said.
"For the club to go further and take the next step again, we really need the younger guys coming through.
"It needs a new fresh look just to keep the ball rolling. 'Gaz' and 'Jimmy' are desperate to get in it which is exactly what you want to hear.
"And speaking to 'Sel', he is just a natural leader so we might as well get him in there if he wants to do it and we think he is ready."
Mooney, who turns 30 this year, denied the leadership group shake-up was a byproduct of the Cats' Grand Final disappointment.
"The last thing you want anyone to think is we are changing it because we lost and heads are rolling," Mooney said.
"That's not the case at all. For the whole club to go further, these younger blokes need to take on this role.
"There are going to be a few of us out of here in a year or two, if we don't give them the experience while we are still here, then who knows, they could fall in a heap.
"Nothing is going to change about the way we go about things because we're out of the group.
"You're going to get the same from us."

"

New Leadership group, Hogan on fire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back