Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

True its not the politics thread but Frydenburg as a possibility to AFL ceo is definitely an AFL discussion point.
Yep, just a warning before we go straight down the politics rabbit hole since we're already knee deep from the looks of it. We can discuss Fydenburg without getting into shitfights about sides of politics

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely this. I cared too much about politics and it really affected my mindset at the time. It really is something that you can't change so if you stop caring, it'll improve your life immensely. They don't give a s**t about you.
Yes indeedy, I take no notice of/vested interest in any of the parties, and couldn't even care as to who is in power. One evil is no less or greater than the other and you might as well focus on what you can control in life! On a general/AFL CEO-related note though, Josh is an A grade w***er (regardless of political persuasions) and I hope to all that is sacred that he doesn't become the CEO!!!!!

Fitzpatrick never gets mentioned in the same breathe as other WA ruckmen like Clarke, Farmer, Micheal, Moss - even Boucher, yet he was lead ruck in 3 premiership teams for Carlton and 1 for Subiaco.

I guess people run out of names when you get to 4 or 5. Chuck in Sandilands and Cox as well.

Fitzpatrick has much the same build as rucks like Andrew Purser or Paul Harding and maybe the same talent level. Not knocking the bloke, just saying there's lots of great rucks that came from WA.

I've said it elsewhere but anytime someone moves from politics into private industry it should be investigated.
So what are ex-politicians meant to do when they leave the job? Retire early and join the Centrelink queue?

Our biggest threat is Collingwood. Maybe it's trauma from the loss but they do look really good.
Our biggest threat may be in the coming months. We don't know how we match up against Sydney, Richmond or Western Bulldogs, and any of those three could have strong closes to the season and be back in the top four mix.

Last edited:
There are opportunities on the punt. I reckon only our price (7/1) is about right at the moment. Arguably both Melbourne and Brisbane are too short and there's value in some of the others - Richmond will shorten for the flag if they beat Carlton this week.
Richmond are aiming for a premiership this year. I'm more worried about them than most of the teams below us.

In terms of dodgy AFL CEOs, you'd be doing well to beat Andy D. The Kardinia final was a deliberate ploy to have a good news story in Victoria at the same time they kicked Essendon out of finals. Not to mention the businesses he's been involved in.

I have to share this on Bill Dempsey, he is an absolute legend. There are so many great things he has done, but what he did for young indigenous boys who came down to Perth from the NT to play here should not be underestimated.

He made them feel comfortable in very uncomfortable surroundings & he was like a dad to them. He helped pave the way for some wonderful talent to play in the WAFL.

I’m just looking for an excuse to stop caring about footy and this would be a good one that might actually work
One thing I would recommend is switch to listening to it on the radio while you do something productive. One of the things that made footy frustrating for me was wasting 3 hours to just get angry at the TV. The experience is different when you only listen to Freo games and don't feel like you're wasting time. I watch very little footy other than Freo and try to restrict myself to our night games on TV. The game strangely comes alive a bit more when you don't actually see it.

Ten years ago I watched almost every game I could, and honestly looking back this was a complete waste of time, and not all that enjoyable. Getting annoyed at Geelong vs Collingwood games because I wanted one of those teams to win and they didn't. Who cares!

So what are ex-politicians meant to do when they leave the job? Retire early and join the Centrelink queue?
They can work anywhere, but the previous links between them in their position of significant influence and their new workplace will be highly scrutinized.

In terms of dodgy AFL CEOs, you'd be doing well to beat Andy D. The Kardinia final was a deliberate ploy to have a good news story in Victoria at the same time they kicked Essendon out of finals. Not to mention the businesses he's been involved in.

He was dodgy for sure, but he also set back the progress that'd been made to make the comp a national comp. He was VFL all the way and ensured his replacement was of the same mentality and would continue his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back