Club Focus North Melbourne 2021 - Greenwood, Coleman-Jones, Horne-Francis, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather we kept it open till the end of the trade period to see if anyone is going to offer up some quality young players. Forget this future pick nonsense, if you guys were serious you'd throw in Thilthorpe and McAsey to go with 4.
Thilthorpe is one of the few players that would never ever be in that discussion as he has the ability to become the apex forward of the comp with his skillset and he is virtually priceless to the crows. McAsey and this years pick 4 and next years 1st the club maybe would do

You really cant compare the 2

Lets be honest.. its a lot easier shining as a forward in a side with a top midfield than as midfielder in the bottom side with most of its experienced midfield missing

who knows who will be better
Small forward is an infinitely more difficult to play than inside midfielder, no matter how well the side goes. Anyway, that’s not the point. It’s more the theme of the North death riding thread, which got more and more hilarious from the outside as each week of the 2020 season passed, and was only partially salvaged because we had to go to Cairns

Chris Judd went at pick 3 in the Hodge year.
Bailey Smith went at pick 7 in the Walsh year.

Its stupid to value one individual this highly, especially when they haven't played a game yet.

And if the Crows (or Tigers or any other club) offered 1 pick inside the first 5 and a second inside the top 10 then it worthy of serious consideration (plus something else). That's not what is being offered and hence I think North are doing the right thing by holding onto it.

If a club wants it, put an offer on the table that is hard to walk away from.

The Kanga's should just shut down talk of trading pick 1 and say they are 100% taking it to the draft..as good as he projects to be, I am worried my club will make an offer so big that if JHF didn't reach the heights, it could set our club back quite a bit in lost high end picks over the coming years. North would only burn 1 pick if he didn't work out - a loss for sure, but it is only 1 pick. The crows could mortgage this year and next years hands and god knows what else....Cmon North, just say its (pick 1) off the table
There is still time to panic and do something really silly. Stay tuned!!

A midfielder who wouldn’t make our best 25 or a small forward who kicked 40 goals in his second season? Hmm…

We probably have the best collection of u/22 midfielders in the league. Simpkin, LDU, Phillips, Thomas, Powell, Stephenson and soon JHF etc

Thomas would be in the first handful of players taken in an open draft of that same age group.

Powell will be better than every one of our young players, including Thomas and probably even JHF.

Kosi is a great player, but I doubt you will find a North supporter that would be willing to part with Powell for anything. He's going to be North's Clayton Oliver/Simon Black and the absolute centerpiece of our midfield, I have absolutely no doubt about it. He's far better than just a nice young player like some are intimating here. As I said, I'd sooner trade all of Simpkin, LDU, Phillips, Stephenson before him. Thomas is the only one I'd have to genuinely consider.

The draft watchers were so absurdly wrong about him, probably because of the lack of National Championships and the fact he only played SANFL u/18's for the year. He wasn't involved at underage levels due to a hip condition either.

I don't begrudge most opposition supporters for not watching North games for the first half of 2021 when Powell featured, we were hopeless and the games were terrible. Powell is a next level young midfielder though, very comparable to a young Oliver and far more than just an accumulator. He's a genuine inside genius for his age and far quicker and better on the spread/outside than what he was described pre-draft. An excellent kick also, something that was bizarrely raised as a weakness. I think he also led North for tackles at about Round 8, amazing for a kid that looks about 15 years old.

His ceiling is absolutely enormous, because of how much physical development is still to come.

Last edited:
We probably have the best collection of u/22 midfielders in the league. Simpkin, LDU, Phillips, Thomas, Powell, Stephenson and soon JHF etc

Thomas would be in the first handful of players taken in an open draft of that same age group.

Powell will be better than every one of our young players, including Thomas and probably even JHF.

Kosi is a great player, but I doubt you will find a North supporter that would be willing to part with Powell for anything. He's going to be North's Clayton Oliver/Simon Black and the absolute centerpiece of our midfield, I have absolutely no doubt about it. He's far better than just a nice young player like some are intimating here. As I said, I'd sooner trade all of Simpkin, LDU, Phillips, Stephenson before him. Thomas is the only one I'd have to genuinely consider.

The draft watchers were so absurdly wrong about him, probably because of the lack of National Carnivals and the fact he only played SANFL u/18's for the year.

I don't begrudge most opposition supporters for not watching North games for the first half of 2021 when Powell featured, we were hopeless and the games were terrible. Powell is a next level young midfielder though, very comparable to a young Oliver.

I really like Freo's collection of young mids, even with the loss of Cerra but I see your point.

And if the Crows (or Tigers or any other club) offered 1 pick inside the first 5 and a second inside the top 10 then it worthy of serious consideration (plus something else). That's not what is being offered and hence I think North are doing the right thing by holding onto it.

If a club wants it, put an offer on the table that is hard to walk away from.
That's literally what the Crows did. They offered pick 4 + their future first (which is a serious chance of being pick 1 2022) + Melbourne's future first.

The draft watchers were so absurdly wrong about him, probably because of the lack of National Championships and the fact he only played SANFL u/18's for the year. He wasn't involved at underage levels due to a hip condition either.

I don't begrudge most opposition supporters for not watching North games for the first half of 2021 when Powell featured, we were hopeless and the games were terrible. Powell is a next level young midfielder though, very comparable to a young Oliver and far more than just an accumulator. He's a genuine inside genius for his age and far quicker and better on the spread/outside than what he was described pre-draft. An excellent kick also, something that was bizarrely raised as a weakness. I think he also led North for tackles at about Round 8, amazing for a kid that looks about 15 years old.

His ceiling is absolutely enormous, because of how much physical development is still to come.
Doesn’t sound too different to Kossie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

To make it perfectly clear, lets try and ground this in reality. There's multiple top end father sons in both years likely to effect things.

You can bookmark this for review next year, but it's likely the offer ends up being something like:

#1, #24

for

#6, #5, #20
If you're adding FS, it's:
#2, #24

for

#6, #5, #20

I still think you'll be calling Daicos first...and if you don't, you've done yourselves a disservice.

We wont be. Every journo is now adamant we wont be and Rawlings was just on Radio this morning describing JHF as that much better than the second best player in the draft that any offer for #1 would have to be worthy of that difference.

I agree, I'm sure both clubs would be happy.

You laughing at North supporters regarding apparent dismissals of Kosi as a 40 goal small forward garners a similar reaction to calling him a non-best 22 midfielder moving forward for Melbourne.
When did I laugh at North supporters dismissing Kossie? I said it was funny that the North death-riding thread went to s**t last year compared to where it started. Also there is no evidence yet that Powell would make our best 22 ahead of guys like Jordon and Sparrow who are competing for spots. Maybe that will change - the point is just that it’s funny that the North board made a death riding thread about a player who kicked 40 goals in a flag year for us one year later, and is already one of the best small forwards in the league

I still think you'll be calling Daicos first...and if you don't, you've done yourselves a disservice.

No they won't. Absolutely pointless for The Roos do so.

JHF is By far the number 1 stand out pick in this draft.

Also he doesn't have any of those go home after a few vibes at all. He will be a fantastic champion for The Shinboners for more than 15 years.

On top of what the Crows offered for pick 1, they should also offer to take Polec off their hands. So three first round picks including pick 4 this year, and take Polec.

The ship has sailed on the Crows trade offer.

Not saying the Adelaide offer wasn't decent, it was bit North are taking pick 1 to the bank, JHF is too elite a talent to pass up

Small forward is an infinitely more difficult to play than inside midfielder, no matter how well the side goes. Anyway, that’s not the point. It’s more the theme of the North death riding thread, which got more and more hilarious from the outside as each week of the 2020 season passed, and was only partially salvaged because we had to go to Cairns

yep you can look like a bit of a dick if you go too early

as has been said before. Melbourne are happy with what they got but North wont be throwing back what they caught either

No they won't. Absolutely pointless for The Roos do so.

JHF is By far the number 1 stand out pick in this draft.

Also he doesn't have any of those go home after a few vibes at all. He will be a fantastic champion for The Shinboners for more than 15 years.
Not really. Pick 1 would be 3000 points, and Pies have 2215 ATM.

If they go into deficit for next year, and pies finish below North, North's 2022/1 could jump ahead of the pies.

That's how it's advantageous for North. This rubbish of an extra 10k and marketing for pick 1 is irrelevant if it means you jump a spot the following year.

North may go from pick 2 to pick 1 in 2022.

Not really. Pick 1 would be 3000 points, and Pies have 2215 ATM.

If they go into deficit for next year, and pies finish below North, North's 2022/1 could jump ahead of the pies.

That's how it's advantageous for North. This rubbish of an extra 10k and marketing for pick 1 is irrelevant if it means you jump a spot the following year.

North may go from pick 2 to pick 1 in 2022.

JHF has apparently said he wants to be the number 1 pick in the 2021 draft, I doubt North want to do anything to rock the boat.

Bidding 1 for JUH achieved absolutely nothing at all for The Crows in hindsight..

Reckon you are reading way too much into this points system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back