Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming we going to be appointing a new senior coach with Rhyce (hopefully) most likely resuming in an assistant role, this appointment is a lot more straightforward than post Scott.

We were torn between different worlds in the 2016-19 period.

Delist 5 senior players of leadership structural or outright performance importance over 2 seasons (Boomer, NDS, Spud, Petire, Gibson). Go to draft only with what God gave us.

Then pivot and chase free agents for 2 years.

Continue on that line and bring in 5 mature players (Polec, Pittard, Hall, Tyson, Campbell).

2019 season falls apart, Scott gone. But 5 rising star nominations. Sure they're arbitrary but at least they're indicators our kids have something to work with. Right then, so now we're rebuilding? Or at the least a team looking to build slowly from our youth?

Hold the press. Shaw immediately revives group, team wins several games in emphatic physical fashion.

We took apart the eventual premier, a finalist and destroyed a team fighting to get into the 8. Even came back from a fair margin back to embarrass Hawthorn after what would've usually meant a 100 pt loss.

Well well well. Let's reset expectations again. Sky's the limit. No need for a coaching search - we have our man. Let's go!

Then season 2020 happened...

This time around it should be different if it (coaching search) happens. A more thorough screening including a rigorous assessment of the candidates suitability to such a high stress position if they haven't been in such a role before.

But just as importantly - a clear unencumbered direction. Not half rebuild, half all-out assault on the current season at all expenses.

The new coach will come in with the chance to immediately reshape the list via draft and trade, set their own imprimatur on about a quarter of the list from the get go and thanks to the media downplay be able to work gradually from a very low level of expectation. Plus has a list manager, football manager and head of recruiting all a year into their roles at Arden Street.

It's a much clearer set of objectives and directives and contrary to media coverage, a more stable platform for the next coach.

What would be a new coaches tactics and can he utilise Brown?

I would assume that Voss would want him.

There's still too many unknown variables.

Yep, I reckon a smart candidate would see the potential in the gig. You'd absolutely be asking questions as to Arch's influence though.

We certainly don't have as many holes as the clueless aspects of the media suggests.

What would be a new coaches tactics and can he utilise Brown?

I would assume that Voss would want him.

There's still too many unknown variables.

We certainly don't have as many holes as the clueless aspects of the media suggests.

To mix metaphors they can start from day 1 with a blank canvas and from ground zero.

Other than taking over a contending team a whisker from a premiership it's probably the best position to start from for any coach with ability and dedication.

Vote for Voss here.
I think he's just what we need, worked hard on his weakness and has the burning desire for another go.
The fact he didn't do well first time out is neither here nor there in my book.
Voss is our guy.

One thing i like about Choco is he seems to place some value on kicking skills

I can't look past him. He's a strong personality, passionate, charismatic and has coached a premiership and reached a grand final on a rebuild.

A football teacher not a spruiker.

Can’t say I’m a fan of Mark Williams. I find him too manic.

He can come across as a tad unhinged at times, which is an attribute I rate in a coach.

Put me down as another vote for Count Chocula.

He can come across as a tad unhinged at times, which is an attribute I rate in a coach.

He comes across unhinged but empathetic. That's an important counter.

The stories of his draft camp interviews are legendary.

Call me a romantic, but jeez I’d love Simo to come home because the club needs him. Pay him what he’s worth. Seems most other club stalwarts have gone back to their club when needed. Why doesn’t North have that?

We brought Robert Pyman home as an assistant coach.

Bumped into, literally, Choco and Collingwood president Ranald McDonald and a group of Collingwood players in of all places Mt Buller in 1985. North had just beaten Carlton in an epic elimination final. I was full of joy and beer and looked at Choco and asked, “Shouldn’t you still be playing footy? Hahaha!”

Every year my optometrist says he can still see the scars in the back of my eyeballs. The memory of his stare still sends chills down my spine.

I’d love him to guide our boys.
I’d also like to apologise to him for my absolute stupidity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vote for Voss here.
I think he's just what we need, worked hard on his weakness and has the burning desire for another go.
The fact he didn't do well first time out is neither here nor there in my book.
Voss is our guy.

Would sell the club very well too. I know some don’t rate that highly but I think it’s very important for a club like ours especially through a rebuild.

There are a lot of "ifs" in our situation, IF we need a senior coach for 2021, then it is going to be difficult to get someone to sign a one year contract to do it. Rhyce is only contracted for next year, but we have to look after him and offer him a position when he is ready to return. We could offer someone like Choco Williams a 3 year contract, the first year as senior coach, and remaining two years as Director of Coaching (if Rhyce returns), if he doesn't return, he can continue coaching for the full term of the contract. This scenario wouldn't work with someone of less experience. Interesting times ahead.

I remember reading that the close was going to have a press conference on the 28th October, so I assume there's a deadline associated with Rhyce that's attached to that.
All contracts expire on the 31st October so maybe theres a clause in there before we activate the 2nd year?
I would also assume the 28th being a Wednesday means we will be announcing a few more contract in and around that date.

All contracts expire on the 31st October so maybe theres a clause in there before we activate the 2nd year?
I would also assume the 28th being a Wednesday means we will be announcing a few more contract in and around that date.

Haven't they been extended for this year to coincide with the later drafting period?

If not, then it's a free for all on uncontracted player at the start of trade week.

Last edited:
This is going to be a really horrible thing to say and maybe I am a horrible person but I think a new senior coach will be the best thing for the club in the longer term. It will be best for the players and It will be best for Rhyce. obviously I am hoping like hell Rhyce fully recovers and we take him back in an assistant role but I am kind of excited to see who we go with now. The direction is now clear and we understand a rebuild is on the cards and it will be our kids that drive it. I hope a thorough process is followed this time and we leave no stone unturned.

Surely if Rhyce is unable to fulfil his coaching contract due to some form of breakdown then it would either be covered by Workers compensation (if it's due to work related stress) or income protection insurance. I don't see why the club would be on the hook for his salary.
Yeah I thought this too......but never let the truth get in the way and all that.

Haven't they been ext3ended for this year to coincide with the later drafting period?

If not, then it's a free for all on uncontracted player at the start of trade week.
Not too sure what the CBA update was.
The 28th is Syd Barker night tazaa
I know. Im saying we might make some morale boosting announcements next week due to the BnF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back