Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Perez is coming off an ACL in 2019.

Bonar was touch and go for Rnd 1, was the first emergency.

One of the two pieces ARE a first round pick and likely to be a decent second round pick as well. Fairly relevant to the discussion I would of thought.

I'm going to hold off on declaring Melbourne the winners after just a single game has been played since the deal and the draft have been completed...
So a guy coming off an ACL makes North Ahead?

Bonar is in his 3rd year. He hasn’t lived up to the standard of pick GWS originally drafted him for. He was a draft bust for GWS. He was traded for 3rd round pick on the last day of trade week when deals with Essendon and Hawthorn fell through. No one was screaming to trade for this guy. Let’s see if he can make the team this week.

As for Melbournes first round pick next year, you could draft the next Aiden Bonar, a draft bust. not saying it will be but it could be. Therefore can’t possibly be ahead of 2 guys already making their debuts.

Bonar is in his 3rd year. He hasn’t lived up to the standard of pick GWS originally drafted him for. He was a draft bust for GWS. He was traded for 3rd round pick on the last day of trade week when deals with Essendon and Hawthorn fell through. No one was screaming to trade for this guy. Let’s see if he can make the team this week.

As for Melbournes first round pick next year, you could draft the next Aiden Bonar, a draft bust. not saying it will be but it could be. Therefore can’t possibly be ahead of 2 guys already making their debuts.

No, common sense makes us ahead (currently) - Rivers and Pickett were a 2nd and 1st round pick respectively, and not even especially high ones. We have those in our hand for 2020 ontop of Perez (a very similar pick to Rivers) and Aiden Bonar a former #10 draft pick who's still eligible for the R/S.

So by making your debut for a Melbourne side that has won 6 of their last 24 games, you are now a guaranteed locked draft hit?

Bonar got pushed out of the strongest midfield in the league, there's a fair difference.

This could very well change down the track and Melbourne very well might finish ontop, but a Rnd 1 selection doesn't mean a thing.

Stop polluting this thread.

Last edited:

An absolute s**t show, give the kids a few years in the system before you can truly start to gauge how the trade is looking.

Bingo. See I do not think we can still judge who won the Crows/Blues pick swap trade a couple of years ago.

The Melbourne First Round Pick may look juicy on paper as an outside/neutral observer, but as always, there future pick swap deals are in a constant state of flux.

The death riding threads on the opposition boards are the best/most fun part about it :)

Bonar.. lol the bloke is a spud.

Watched him closely against us in the praccy match earlier this year and he was getting schooled by the likes of Tom Sparrow and James Jordon in the midfield.

Built like Tarzan and playa like Jane.

Meanwhile at North it's hard to understand the strategy ....

Finished 12th with a 10-12 record in 2019 and a B&F top 10:
Ben Cunnington 29yo
Robbie Tarrant 31yo
Todd Goldstein 32yo
Trent Dumont 25yo
Ben Brown 27yo
Jack Ziebell 29yo
Jared Polec 27yo
Shaun Higgins 32yo
Jasper Pittard 29yo
Shaun Atley 27yo

Looks like they are in their prime right now but rather than augment their squad now for a tilt at finals, North trades away their first rounder in the hope that another team has more misfortune than North - something they have no control over.

to be fair it has been alright over the last 6 or so years

Yeah, it has. I'm a fair person.

I think North has been pretty shrewd recently too.

Funny thing is the North/Melbourne trade for last season is your genuine no loss trade. Both teams on the surface show a net win, both had their needs and even the threads of the trade, later picks and onward trading looks pretty good. The only fun now is in the death ride... the trade can't get better or worse for Melbourne. It can't end a loss for North. I don't even think North were gambling necessarily on Melbourne being bad this season, more that we were able to give ourselves a couple of bites later in the draft at guys we'd committed to with a freebie hit at a better pick for 2020.

Meanwhile at North it's hard to understand the strategy ....

Finished 12th with a 10-12 record in 2019 and a B&F top 10:
Ben Cunnington 29yo
Robbie Tarrant 31yo
Todd Goldstein 32yo
Trent Dumont 25yo
Ben Brown 27yo
Jack Ziebell 29yo
Jared Polec 27yo
Shaun Higgins 32yo
Jasper Pittard 29yo
Shaun Atley 27yo

Looks like they are in their prime right now but rather than augment their squad now for a tilt at finals, North trades away their first rounder in the hope that another team has more misfortune than North - something they have no control over.
That's not how the trade worked. Have a look at it again and think a little harder .

Yeah, it has. I'm a fair person.

I think North has been pretty shrewd recently too.

Funny thing is the North/Melbourne trade for last season is your genuine no loss trade. Both teams on the surface show a net win, both had their needs and even the threads of the trade, later picks and onward trading looks pretty good. The only fun now is in the death ride... the trade can't get better or worse for Melbourne. It can't end a loss for North. I don't even think North were gambling necessarily on Melbourne being bad this season, more that we were able to give ourselves a couple of bites later in the draft at guys we'd committed to with a freebie hit at a better pick for 2020.
Basically hit the nail on the head.

Melbourne Basically did the trade to draft a small forward they needed in Pickett, he’s already played and had a good game. So far the trade has worked for Melbourne.

North didn’t really like anyone around pick 8ish in the 2019 draft and we’re happy to move to the 2020 first round while picking up 26 and 50 along the way. If Melbourne have a bad season the first round pick will be very good and I’m sure you’ll enjoy death riding for another round or two.

As for Melbourne they traded pick 8 for pick 12, pick 32 and future 2020 4th round pick.

They targeted Pickett and got him and he’s debuted already, From the MFC website a video from draft day the recruiting team were keen on Rivers hoping he slipped through from pick 18-20 which he did. They would of drafted him at 26.

From a Melbourne perspective.
2020 first round pick for Pickett
pick 26 on Rivers
pick 50 (which they probably wouldn’t of used) for Carlton’s 2020 4th round pick (which they probably won’t use).

Basically hit the nail on the head.

Melbourne Basically did the trade to draft a small forward they needed in Pickett, he’s already played and had a good game. So far the trade has worked for Melbourne.

North didn’t really like anyone around pick 8ish in the 2019 draft and we’re happy to move to the 2020 first round while picking up 26 and 50 along the way. If Melbourne have a bad season the first round pick will be very good and I’m sure you’ll enjoy death riding for another round or two.

As for Melbourne they traded pick 8 for pick 12, pick 32 and future 2020 4th round pick.

They targeted Pickett and got him and he’s debuted already, From the MFC website a video from draft day the recruiting team were keen on Rivers hoping he slipped through from pick 18-20 which he did. They would of drafted him at 26.

From a Melbourne perspective.
2020 first round pick for Pickett
pick 26 on Rivers
pick 50 (which they probably wouldn’t of used) for Carlton’s 2020 4th round pick (which they probably won’t use).

Yeah, I think you guys did well with our pick once you got it... in a lot of ways you did the same thing - traded it for a first rounder and a couple of value picks later on.

Bonar.. lol the bloke is a spud.

Watched him closely against us in the praccy match earlier this year and he was getting schooled by the likes of Tom Sparrow and James Jordon in the midfield.

Built like Tarzan and playa like Jane.

Nah. I was at the game.

Was definitely the quietest of his pre-season games and probably ended up costing him a Rnd 1 spot, has been good otherwise.

Definitely not soft.

It was also the game that Curtis Taylor completely shredded Angus Brayshaw all game. I guess we can write him off too, although it wont be the last player Curtis does that to....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. I was at the game.

Was definitely the quietest of his pre-season games and probably ended up costing him a Rnd 1 spot, has been good otherwise.

Definitely not soft.

It was also the game that Curtis Taylor completely shredded Angus Brayshaw all game. I guess we can write him off too, although it wont be the last player Curtis does that to....
Shredded? Lol please.. that was just training drill for Gus. First hitout in 5 weeks after injuring his elbow. But sure he so totally shredded him...

Yes I did and I came to the same conclusion - future picks, a guy who can't make the team and a guy out for a year with a knee reco are not helping your aging team win this year.
If you think that we should be pushing for a flag now I regret telling you to think harder. You might have an aneurysm.

Yes I did and I came to the same conclusion - future picks, a guy who can't make the team and a guy out for a year with a knee reco are not helping your aging team win this year.

Bonar is in the initial team for Rnd 2, so do we win this now?

OK so this year North are getting ready to rebuild in a few years - that must be inspiring ...
I mean we're adding two first rounders and a second this year after adding three second rounders last year to go with our four young players that won Rising Star nominations in 2019 so I think it's fair to say the rebuild is well under way.

We're actually a functioning football club so we're not making the mistake Melbourne did when they jettisoned all senior players and got kids to take over all leadership and onfield wear and tear. A mistake your club still hasn't recovered from even with huge amounts of AFL assistance and a mistake you seemingly learnt nothing from.

Back