Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Mahoney deserves some credit for what Melbourne have built, I’m sure he does internally but externally he’s rarely mentioned.

Re the Kozi discussion - the kid is an absolute freak. However, no club going into a long rebuild is using a first pick on a small forward. The dees were in a position with a highly talented list and a group of high picks already, to pull the trigger on something like that & it’s paid off (similar to dogs and weightman).

I hope North do the same in the coming couple drafts once we’ve got our midfield and backline in order.

Last edited:
Mahoney deserves some credit for what Melbourne have built, I’m sure he does internally but externally he’s rarely mentioned.

Re the Kozi discussion - the kid is an absolute freak. However, no club going into a long rebuild is using a first pick on a small forward. The dees were in a position with a highly talented list and a group of high picks already, to pull the trigger on something like that & it’s paid off (similar to dogs and weightman).

I hope North do the same in the coming couple drafts once we’ve got our midfield and backline in order.

With how good and stunning Kozi has turned out, and Shai Bolton at Richmond too, you have to wonder if clubs now will reconsider not drafted clearly talented and skilled small forward types with earlier picks from now on .

If that draft is done again based on what we have seen, Kozi goes top 3, without a doubt

With how good and stunning Kozi has turned out, and Shai Bolton at Richmond too, you have to wonder if clubs now will reconsider not drafted clearly talented and skilled small forward types with earlier picks from now on .

If that draft is done again based on what we have seen, Kozi goes top 3, without a doubt
I think it's because they both have scope to go in the midfield in bursts. Bolton is already a mid/fwd and Kozzie plays there every now and then like Cyril. I don't think you use super early picks on small forwards like Weightman who seem like they are just a forward.

How do you think the top five looks at the moment?

1 - Matt Rowell (even with his injury issues, still standout no 1 for my money)

2 - Caleb Serong - Elite tough gem of a player who will probably be the next captain of Freo. Absolute gun

3 - Kozi Pickett

4 - .Tom Green

5 - Mitch Georgiades

Seems like a better draft in hindsight than what pre draft experts said at the time.

1 - Matt Rowell (even with his injury issues, still standout no 1 for my money)

2 - Caleb Serong - Elite tough gem of a player who will probably be the next captain of Freo. Absolute gun

3 - Kozi Pickett

4 - .Tom Green

5 - Mitch Georgiades

Seems like a better draft in hindsight than what pre draft experts said at the time.
Did you forget Luke Jackson????

Did you forget Luke Jackson????

FFS lol

I would probably take him at 1 tbh. And bump down the rest from there (sorry Boy George)

What an amazing draft haul by the Dees, absolutely smashed it 👍👍👍

FFS lol

I would probably take him at 1 tbh. And bump down the rest from there (sorry Boy George)

What an amazing draft haul by the Dees, absolutely smashed it 👍👍👍
Yeah I have
1- Jackson
2- Rowell
3- Serong
4- Pickett
5- Anderson

With Green, Georgiades incredibly stiff.

This has to be one of the strongest draft classes we've seen. The talent is ridiculous

Yeah I have
1- Jackson
2- Rowell
3- Serong
4- Pickett
5- Anderson

With Green, Georgiades incredibly stiff.

This has to be one of the strongest draft classes we've seen. The talent is ridiculous

Weightman too.

Unfortunately a few clubs in the top ten (Crows and Swans) might be regretting some of their choices lol

Hayden Young from Freo has potential to one day to be a top 5 ish player from this draft too, a strong haul for Freo as well (Liam Henry is going to be a star)

Weightman too.

Unfortunately a few clubs in the top ten (Crows and Swans) might be regretting some of their choices lol

Hayden Young from Freo has potential to one day to be a top 5 ish player from this draft too, a strong haul for Freo as well (Liam Henry is going to be a star)
Trent Rivers would be in the top 10.

It's a deep pool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who'd North take?

Essendon's picks in that draft have not exactly set the world on fire either mate, Jones will be okay but will never be a star.

That Dylan Shiel trade ended being far more costly for Essendon than this deal for North, who will get at least 250 solid games out of him.

Wouldn't take the smug route if I was you.

If he can stay fit/injury free, he will be a serious player. Got a lot of talent, but unfortunately I think there is question marks about the durability of his body. Definitely a high risk/high reward selection fr North imo.

Essendon's picks in that draft have not exactly set the world on fire either mate, Jones will be okay but will never be a star.

That Dylan Shiel trade ended being far more costly for Essendon than this deal for North, who will get at least 250 solid games out of him.

Wouldn't take the smug route if I was you.
Uh. What?

I asked who they took. Wild Bill answered.

Possibly the best trade we’ve ever made as a club. Evidence suggests we might have done it because we thought Jackson could slide to 8, and then managed to make hay by turn 8 into Kossie and Rivers after losing 26.

Possibly the best trade we’ve ever made as a club. Evidence suggests we might have done it because we thought Jackson could slide to 8, and then managed to make hay by turn 8 into Kossie and Rivers after losing 26.
Wasn’t Jackson all year going top 5 I doubt your above is true I think it was for pickett all along

Callum Twomey had him at 14 as late as October
He did say in October he was flying up the rankings and correctly picked him at 3 in Nov.

Still I think the big win was Suns getting a priority pick as Anderson was considered the clear pick 2. Anderson looks good - Jackson looks amazing.

We all love Kozzie I’m sure Tom Powell will be a star for us as well! Not to mention we got Tarryn Thomas through our academy in that same draft Kozzie went in

He did say in October he was flying up the rankings and correctly picked him at 3 in Nov.

Still I think the big win was Suns getting a priority pick as Anderson was considered the clear pick 2. Anderson looks good - Jackson looks amazing.
We would have taken Jackson at 2 anyway, Jason Taylor had him above Anderson.

Back