Analysis North Melbourne: Who is most suited to be their next coach?

Who is best suited to coach the Kangaroos?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross the Boss will only go for a team that he thinks is a sure thing at this stage.
It wont be any of the successful head coaches.
It'll be between the ex-Head Coaches looking for a final shot or the Experienced Assistants that have been passed over numerous times and think it'll be their final chance to get the top job. So none of the currently highly tipped flavour of the month ones.

Ross the Boss will only go for a team that he thinks is a sure thing at this stage.
It'll be between the ex-Head Coaches looking for a final shot or the Experienced Assistants that have been passed over numerous times and think it'll be their final chance to get the top job. So none of the currently highly tipped flavour of the month ones.

I think last time he refused to be part of the recruitment process....His attitude was basically "you already know who I am and what I bring, so either offer me the job or don't bother me".

Gotta say, I can't help but respect that.

I think this is overstated. There could be plenty of motivations for a coach to come back, be it simply missing the game, the ego hit of bringing a team back from the depths, or winning a flag.

What’s important in my opinion is their take on the structure around them, If it’s ok or will they be able to set it up to suit them. Whilst us fans might say yeah he wants a sure thing that’s really just guessing

Yeah.

It'd be like Nathan Buckley taking over Richmond next year and winning the flag. Most of the talent is still there.

Chris Scott in 2011 is a perfect example of this, although he has gone on to show that he's a fantastic coach.

Or like Buckley taking over Collingwood after playing 2 GFs in 2 years, and...

Oh....yeah.

I think last time he refused to be part of the recruitment process....His attitude was basically "you already know who I am and what I bring, so either offer me the job or don't bother me".

To a point but usually in these interviews the club would receive a presentation of the direction they intend to take, thoughts on the list etc. I don’t think those statements really address that

The Postecoglou story is so overblown.

• The SPL is a two team league. Rangers have 55 titles. Celtic 52. The next best is Aberdeen with FOUR.
  • The last time a team other than Celtic or Rangers won it was in 1984.
  • Celtic had won BOTH Scottish Cup tournaments FOUR years running prior to 2021.
  • Celtic had won NINE straight SPL titles before their 'disaster' season in 2021, where they still finished runners up.

He didn't take over some sort of Fitzroy level basket case that was on the edge of relegation. He inherited one of the two most powerful clubs in the comp, who had won multiple titles prior, and took them from 2nd to 1st.
I realise that it's a two team leauge but nothing in my post is non factual.
Celtic did finish 25 points behind Rangers and Ange Postecoglou wasn't appointed until very late due to Eddie Howe turning down the position last minute.
The fans questioned who he was and the media mocked and laughed that he was even appointed with his appointment referred to as a 'wind up'.
The media came for Ange early when they we're 6 points already behind Rangers approximately 7 games in, the media were pushing the narrative that he'd be sacked by Christmas, all facts.

For Ange Postecoglou to keep his players focused, implement his playing philosophy and not get broken by the media was outstanding.

For the reasons posted in my original post I believe North Melbourne need a coach that can thrive and unify a team under a huge amount of pressure as that's the situation they find themselves in.

They've already tried Rhyce Shaw for which the scrutiny of the role presented as being too much, potentially it broke him leading to his mental health decline and resignation.

They tried David Noble but by all account he didn't handle the pressure too well if the reports of him teeing off on their young list which resulted in an eventual apology are correct.

That's why I'd go down the path of someone that is both experienced but can handle huge pressure because it's not going to be a quick fix.

I realise that it's a two team leauge but nothing in my post is non factual.
Celtic did finish 25 points behind Rangers and Ange Postecoglou wasn't appointed until very late due to Eddie Howe turning down the position last minute.
The fans questioned who he was and the media mocked and laughed that he was even appointed with his appointment referred to as a 'wind up'.
The media came for Ange early when they we're 6 points already behind Rangers approximately 7 games in, the media were pushing the narrative that he'd be sacked by Christmas, all facts.

For Ange Postecoglou to keep his players focused, implement his playing philosophy and not get broken by the media was outstanding.

For the reasons posted in my original post I believe North Melbourne need a coach that can thrive and unify a team under a huge amount of pressure as that's the situation they find themselves in.

They've already tried Rhyce Shaw for which the scrutiny of the role presented as being too much, potentially it broke him leading to his mental health decline and resignation.

They tried David Noble but by all account he didn't handle the pressure too well if the reports of him teeing off on their young list which resulted in an eventual apology are correct.

That's why I'd go down the path of someone that is both experienced but can handle huge pressure because it's not going to be a quick fix.

Sorry, it wasn't meant as a shot at you per se.

I just want to highlight that Ange wasn't dealing with a basket case. He had one of the only two teams that were realistically going to challenge for a title. It was hardly a Leicester City 5000-to-1 miracle.

Sorry, it wasn't meant as a shot at you per se.

I just want to highlight that Ange wasn't dealing with a basket case. He had one of the only two teams that were realistically going to challenge for a title. It was hardly a Leicester City 5000-to-1 miracle.
No need to apologise, I understand your point and I think you understand mine...the two clubs in their respective league's aren't comparable in regards to expectation.

My post as you could gather was about North Melbourne hiring someone that is proven in handling pressure.

I haven't read this whole thread but who would choose in an ideal world to coach them and who do you think their a realistic chance of getting.

For mine I can't see Clarkson going there, the rebuild looks too lengthy for mine.

Mark Williams would be ideal in my opinion, he has all the attributes I think North Melbourne need at this time and if he's ever going to coach again I'd suggest this could be his final opportunity.

Ross Lyon gets teams to be competitive wherever he has gone but I'd argue that he's previously walked into clubs that have been far more advanced with their list. I also believe that if he waits too long then he might not get another look in.

I'd even consider Adam Simpson, he handles the pressure cooked environment of coaching in Western Australia well and might be due for a new challenge, one which might mirror the similar challenge he faced at West Coast when first appointed.

I don't think Clarko touches the Roos UNLESS they are going to Tassie and getting a huge assistance package.

Ross Lyon is not a rebuild coach. He'd be better suited to the Giants or Bombers, teams looking for that next step into finals.

Simpson looks set to stay at West Coast. Both parties have publicly committed to the rebuild there.

Don Pyke, Mark Williams or Alan Richardson for mine. All three have records of developing youngsters and getting the boys to smash in and back each other up. They all have issues tactically but that's not the issue at North right now. The club need to be realigned and the young core bonded.

Dare I say it; "Bring back the Shinboner Spirit."
Ross Lyon isn't a rebuild coach? LoL.

Yeah Freo didn't make finals from 2016-19. But if freo make finals in 2022., It is because young blokes like Brayshaw, Logue, Darcy, Cox, Caleb Serong and Hayden Young doing well.

And all those blokes had their debut games under Ross Lyon lol

When Ross Lyon was sacked at the end of 2019, 75-80 percent of the rebuild was done.

Freo are lucky Justin Longmuir is a solid coach and the Freo board we patient in 2020 and 2021

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only problem for Ross was he didn't get the job.

If he really wants to be a head coach again he will need to be interviewed and present to a selection committee.

Again that's only if he really wants to be a head coach again.

I get the feeling that Clarko will go to GWS, the AFL see's gold in those outer suburbs. He gets an ambassadors role for another 1m a year over and above his wage just to move. More navel gazing sees Dusty heading there also on a similar deal. Cue media scrum.

But on North, let's see. So an administration seen as being clueless by the rest of the competition, an entitled playing group who complain if you get cranky with them and a revolving door of staff in general.

Hmmm I'm going to guess a senior coaching applicant who has been over looked so many times (after being linked with every vacancy ever) that they have lost interest in their reputation and just want to get off the pot.

I give you Adam Kingsley!
I don't think the Giants list is honestly much better than North's their 3rd bottom & could lose more talent in the off-season

GWS don't have a key forward anywhere near the quality of Nick Larkey.

The only problem for Ross was he didn't get the job.

If he really wants to be a head coach again he will need to be interviewed and present to a selection committee.

Again that's only if he really wants to be a head coach again.

I'm guessing if that's his attitude he's OK either way. (and to be honest, most clubs, especially North, probably want someone with a bit more fire/passion for the job ).

Which is where the AFL comes in....

But the AFL cannot conscript quality players or force fans to rock up to their matches.

Equally it cannot stop what talent is there being picked off.

Hey North,

If you'd like a coach that says one thing one day and then contradicts it the next, and tries to get everyone to forget how s**t your side is with touchy, feel good announcements, then Matthew Nicks is the man for you!*

But wait, there's more!!!

We'll even throw in a head recruiter and list manager at no extra charge.

*On field results may not improve

And they make Archer 'Shinboner of the Century', a guy that smoked throughout his career and attacked an umpire at a local game and didn't give it to Carey?
Archer won the Player's Association most courageous player award more than anyone else in history. He turned down a six figure (allegedly $450,000) offer from the Swans so he could stay at the club then that year when we beat the swans in a GF he was BOG. Those two things have as much to do with him being Shinboner of the century as anything.

Hey North,

If you'd like a coach that says one thing one day and then contradicts it the next, and tries to get everyone to forget how s*t your side is with touchy, feel good announcements, then Matthew Nicks is the man for you!

But wait, there's more!!!

We'll even throw in a head recruiter and list manager at no extra charge.

*On field results may not improve
Again, haven’t we suffered enough

Back