News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Want has little to do with it. They either say he is not playing for anyone else or they trade him for whats on offer. he is still 33

Correct. His ace card is if he says he is probably retiring but wont decide until november if they trade in players to fill the 1 mil and he doesnt retire then they are potentially over the cap limit and in breach. And if they want to delist him earlier for certainty then they have to pay out the 2018 salary under the 2017 cap and it would have been pretty ballsy of them to have left 1mil spare in the 2017 cap just in case that happened. Also if he retires late they have to run one short on the list in 2018 whereas if they trade him out they at least get to fill the list spot. So i assume this is what ablett will threaten to do if they threaten to demand a 1st rounder in a trade or something silly like that. If he costs more than a 3rd/4th rounder i can't see us being that interested.

Ablett killing it again today against the hawks, suns will want 2 first rounders the way he is playing!!!

He will either be playing for geelong or retired next year IMO. Either way i can't see them getting much in a trade.

Thats not really catch22..did you ever see the film? Not unless we said Ablett is cheap and affordable because he has no form , but if he has form and his form improves he is no longer cheap or affordable. No matter his for it will still not be a Danger trade. And Ablett is getting a lot of give and get possessions.. I wonder what his Metre's gained per pos is.

On Day is he really a perfect fit? He is a failed early pick atpit.
No, the catch 22 is he is playing too well to get him at a price we will accept but if he plays badly we wont want him. Absolutely a catch 22 and yes ive seen the film and read the book

No, the catch 22 is he is playing too well to get him at a price we will accept but if he plays badly we wont want him. Absolutely a catch 22 and yes ive seen the film and read the book

To me as described on wiki.. "According to the novel, people who were crazy were not obliged to fly missions, but anyone who applied to stop flying was showing a rational concern for his safety and was, therefore, sane and had to fly" .. and if you wanted to fly missions you must be insane ... and so on.. to me it was a loop.

With an Ablett catch22 ... playing too well to get him at a price we will accept? I disagree but only time will tell.

His 33 turning 34, he is a third round pick... he has one year of football maybe 2 if lucky to play.

I would rather keep our first rounder thanks.

Scott has already made it clear that he is coming to Geelong on geelongs terms.

He will either be playing for geelong or retired next year IMO. Either way i can't see them getting much in a trade.

I think the retirement option is a bluff. If a deal can't be done to come to Geelong he will see out his contract with Gold Coast. However, the signs are that he will be playing for us next year.

I think the retirement option is a bluff. If a deal can't be done to come to Geelong he will see out his contract with Gold Coast. However, the signs are that he will be playing for us next year.

Im not sure if retirement is what he will do... it would seem to paint himself into a corner. If no deal is done..he will be a GC listed player..then he may well play... but there other options... like take a sabbatical of sorts , the stress or other issues may mean he stays away from GC and resides back in Vic.. "Although I wished for a trade , Im a GC player and as soon as Im able , if Im able , i will return to play for them..but at this point in time ......."

It really just gets down to , how much the vic thing compels him to be in Vic.

Question..
If a player retires with a year to go on a contract.. does he get full contractual payout? Id doubt it.
If a player , and there have been several recently , step away from football for stress , mental anxiety , depression .. anyone of numerous complaints that sportsman can fall victim to , is it like an injury payment where they are paid for X amount of weeks before falling to a lower rate.. One would think there would be an AFL standard on this...

Disagree i think the reasons he requested a trade last year were pretty genuine and i don't expect them to change. For that reason i expect he will retire and move back to vic if they don't trade him. Time will tell though.

His 33 turning 34, he is a third round pick... he has one year of football maybe 2 if lucky to play.

I would rather keep our first rounder thanks.

Scott has already made it clear that he is coming to Geelong on geelongs terms.

I do not see it like a catch22 like LMc. Him playing well (although I think we could debate how well ) and elevating his worth makes it more likely a trade will happen. Id say geelong would more likely to trade more for a player that looks like he should have two years of good play left in him. They have shown they really don't over value picks atm because they feel they can find players late or as rookies, what they rate in immediate impact on our best22. For eg. A late meaningless pick for a struggling 33 yo or a R2 pick/player for a 33 yo in Brownlow form... which would appeal more? It will not be a R1 (dont have one) and probably not a R2.. GC have a heap of picks , if anything Im sure they would prefer a PnP a keen player for a fresh northern start. I dont know what it would be , but my point is I doubt his good form puts us off him due to him being more costly in trade collateral. Geelongs terms 100%.. but those terms rarely include being hard in deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anybody else think that it's strange that in round 2 he stunk it up and showed poor body language and all the rest of it blah blah blah but since hasn't put a foot wrong and has been in red hot form? Things like this don't just happen for no reason...

He knows the Logies are coming up

Back