Roast Oh Ed, you've done it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/937e5e76d7a4a23f3b1eb6cccb5288dd

Is this guy incapable of keeping his foot out of his mouth?

- homophobic comments at the Winter Olympics

- calling West Sydney the land of the falafel

- the Adam Goodes King Kong disgrace

- calling John Eren a Turkish born Mussie in a professional setting

- the drown Caroline Wilson comments

- “Make Collingwood Great Again” inspired by whackjob Trump

- the “troubled” comments leaked by the Club about Lumumba and Krakouer

- now jokes about how tight Jewish and Scottish people are

Is this guy the Lena Dunham of the AFL? The old “it’s only a joke mate” routine should have worn thin years ago. When’s the penny gonna drop for him to just STFU with the old school race/gender/sexuality jokes in public?

Our Vice President, who I might add is about a million times more qualified to be President than Ed, is of Jewish heritage FFS.

As a person of Scottish and Jewish ancestry myself I think Ed can go EAD with his stereotypes.

Jesus, Alan Mcalister is looking like a saint in comparison to anerexic Ed. The Board need to rid themselves of the Toorak Toff. He lost his marbles in 07 after being boned as CEO by Nine.

How many more times can the Board sit on its hands placating this buffoon before they grow some nuts, do what they should have done after the Goodes comments and move him on?

Once again another cheap crack
Lets move you on
Keyboard warrior

I'm a bit torn. When does it become too PC? And when does it cross a line? That seems to vary from individual to individual. I can't say i've enjoyed reading these comments from Ed over the years. I kind of expect our president to be more stately than that. Which is a hard thing to juggle if you're also in entertainment where you straddle that line a bit more.
Q. When does it cross the line?
A. If anybody is offended.

Which in itself is problematic as people not involved in a discussion, who have no sense of the tone or context can decide to take offence.

Eddie was hosting a TV show about winning money, so he dropped in a gag about a couple of money stereotypes linked to the heritage of the contestant. Where are the accusations that he is anti-Scot?

By the way, I never understood why being financially savvy was meant to be a slur? Is it because the masses are financially ignorant?

It's knowing your audience (sounds like you did)

When your audience trusts you and knows you are coming from a good place you can be bold with your humour

Yeah but his (ED) joke wasn't the least bit offensive (IMO) and I have little empathy for those that have chosen to take offense.

This excerpt from Caro's article in today's Age rings true:

First Collingwood made an unofficial play for his services after Gary Pert was ousted with Eddie McGuire meeting Lethlean. But McGuire was held to account by his board and interim CEO Peter Murphy, who insisted the club for once would be following a rigorous recruitment process and that Lethlean would have to stand in line.

This suggests that governance will be stronger on an ongoing basis re: Ed.

That’s a tick to the board and Murphy, but does it actually suggest that Ed has evolved and will move in a more governance focused direction?

He’s ran the club as a dictatorship for almost 20 years and in that time no one from from his hand picked boards has ever stood up to him except on this one occasion. It served us well for the first decade, but the second decade has been an absolutely shambolic procession of poor decision after poor decision. When was the last time we made a strategic board lead decision that you could sit back and say “damn that’s a good move”? The only one that springs to mind was the AFLW franchise. Then we have the poor in the Netball franchise, Magpie Millions, keeping Pert on board as long as we did, the jobs for the boys syndrome and the worst of them all switching from Adidas to Star.

We keep investing in a landlocked facility that’s no longer state of the art and we don’t even own it. We refuse to invest in our FD because “the members don’t want to pay a tax” when the reality is more likely that we simply can’t afford to. Our financial prosperity is declining because of poor results on the field. The boards answer to this is to re-sign a coach that as of round 1 will break the Collingwood record of most games coached without a final. We gave him an extra two years to boot!!

I’ve personally lost all faith in Ed the president and if I could have 5 minutes of Mark Anderson’s time I would say that his most pressing need as CEO is to facilitate Ed’s exit ASAP. A role such as Sheedy’s at Essendon as a club spruiker would be perfect because operationally he’s no good, but he knows how to network with the best of them! He’ll go down with McHale as one of the biggest off-friend presences the club has had in its history, but his time has come to pass the baton on, IMO.

Edit: for those that still support Ed does it not concern you that our slide continues, he was prepared to circumvent due process and was only stopped because Murphy and the board stepped in? The more I ponder it the more amazing it seems that we are a $77 million organisation with a qualified journalist as the man in charge willing to go it on his own like that. It’s absolutely mind boggling when you consider it from that angle.

Last edited:
It's knowing your audience (sounds like you did)

When your audience trusts you and knows you are coming from a good place you can be bold with your humour

One problem for Ed is that his audience is so big, and many have no basis to trust him based upon past gaffes, that the probability of offence is high

TALL POPPY syndrome

All stereotypes aren't equal and anyone who has opened a history book would understand that negative jewish stereotypes are about as bad as it gets. I can't believe some public figures are actually trying to defend him tbh.
These days it's better to tread wearily.
He's biggest issue is he just can't stop making wise cracks, smart alec remarks.
Nothing in this one I'd suggest as context is king.

But if Ed and people in the public eye do not understand (yet) that everything they say and do will be pounced on, well it's a bit silly for themselves isn't it.

i wonder if Ms Wilson has a crack....

Then again, she might still be busy writing that column on Snap Happy Broad.

(A bit like Nathan Freeman, her piece will be out in about two or three weeks...)

That’s a tick to the board and Murphy, but does it actually suggest that Ed has evolved and will move in a more governance focused direction?

He’s ran the club as a dictatorship for almost 20 years and in that time no one from from his hand picked boards has ever stood up to him except on this one occasion. It served us well for the first decade, but the second decade has been an absolutely shambolic procession of poor decision after poor decision. When was the last time we made a strategic board lead decision that you could sit back and say “damn that’s a good move”? The only one that springs to mind was the AFLW franchise.

We keep investing in a landlocked facility that’s no longer state of the art and we don’t even own it. We refuse to invest in our FD because “the members don’t want to pay a tax” when the reality is more likely that we simply can’t afford to. Our financial prosperity is declining because of poor results on the field. The boards answer to this is to re-sign a coach that as of round 1 will break the Collingwood record of most games coached without a final. We gave him an extra two years to boot!!

I’ve personally lost all faith in Ed the president and if I could have 5 minutes of Mark Anderson’s time I would say that his most pressing need as CEO is to facilitate Ed’s exit ASAP. A role such as Sheedy’s at Essendon as a club spruiker would be perfect because operationally he’s no good, but he knows how to network with the best of them! He’ll go down with McHale as one of the biggest off-friend presences the club has had in its history, but his time has come to pass the baton on, IMO.

Scoo
You think Caro s writing a article that ever doesn't bag us
You would be dreaming!
What a disgrace to journalism she has been and you can Expect more crap from her pen
She is TOTALLY Exposed as a person of low character who has agendas against anyone who stand s up
Can't identify when she's wrong and is too immature or arrogant to admit it
We have a outstanding facility and It's in the greatest sporting precinct in the world, be proud we're there
We run the greatest social community program by a club in australia set up by Eddie
We feed , entertain and give people hope
Footnote; what the hell has the Wilsons EVER contributed to society?

All stereotypes aren't equal and anyone who has opened a history book would understand that negative jewish stereotypes are about as bad as it gets. I can't believe some public figures are actually trying to defend him tbh.
Why are the money stereotypes unequal? Are you saying it is ok to have a gag about the tight Scotsman?

Q. What is the difference between a tightrope and a Scotsman? A tightrope sometimes gives! :)

Eddie playing up to two famous money stereotypes on a show about winning money.

Just sad that people actually take offence, and as a person with Scottish heritage, I am now offended that Eddie's anti-Scottish sentiment has not outraged anybody. :mad:

i wonder if Ms Wilson has a crack....

Then again, she might still be busy writing that column on Snap Happy Broad.

(A bit like Nathan Freeman, her piece will be out in about two or three weeks...)

https://vexnews.wordpress.com/2008/...sledges-paralympics-as-not-really-like-sport/

SEPTEMBER 15, 2008 · 10:32 AM

CRUEL: Age sports writer Caroline Wilson sledges Paralympics as "not really like sport"

carobigmouth1.jpg

The Age’s senior football writer Caroline Wilson sneeringly attacked brave Aussie Paralympians on the ABC’s Sunday Offsiders show declaring that “it’s not really like sport.”

Scoo
You think Caro s writing a article that ever doesn't bag us
You would be dreaming!
What a disgrace to journalism she has been and you can Expect more crap from her pen
She is TOTALLY Exposed as a person of low character who has agendas against anyone who stand s up
Can't identify when she's wrong and is too immature or arrogant to admit it
We have a outstanding facility and It's in the greatest sporting precinct in the world, be proud we're there
We run the greatest social community program by a club in australia set up by Eddie
We feed , entertain and give people hope
Footnote; what the hell has the Wilsons EVER contributed to society?

I actually couldn’t give a s**t about Wilson and her views on Ed. Personally I think she’s a vindictive troll that’s used her position as a chief football writer to further agendas for some time whether it was anti Swanny, Ed, Hird or pro Richmond. The uncomfortable truth is that she is as qualified for the role of club president as Ed is!

It grinds my gears that Australian cricketers now need to refer to batsman as batters and that we’ll soon need to refer to ruckman as rucks because there’s some inherent link there to violence against women. This isn’t to belittle the issue of violence against women because it’s a scourge on society rivalling drug use, but it’s PC overkill as is some of the OTT reactions to Ed’s comments. The harsh reality is that in 2017 as soon as one person is offended you’re in the s**t. You literally can’t say anything anymore and Ed just doesn’t get that...

With all that said I don’t particularly have an issue with his recent comments, but I’m happy to use them as a soapbox to raise my concerns with him as the President of our club from an operational standpoint! I’m not sure you’ll be able to grasp all of that, but to simplify it like you I do not like Wilson I just want a better President for our club...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These days it's better to tread wearily.
He's biggest issue is he just can't stop making wise cracks, smart alec remarks.
Nothing in this one I'd suggest as context is king.

But if Ed and people in the public eye do not understand (yet) that everything they say and do will be pounced on, well it's a bit silly for themselves isn't it.
i think that so much trivial stuff gets pounced on these days that when serious, legitimately offensive stuff like this occurs it is dismissed by many as just "pc nonsense out of control".

i remember reading one article about Scott Morrison on kitchen cabinet. Morrison cooked a Sri Lankan curry and the article was chastising him for cultural appropriation

All stereotypes aren't equal and anyone who has opened a history book would understand that negative jewish stereotypes are about as bad as it gets.

Last post on this specific topic this year...

There is some historical truth underpinning the stereotype of financial savviness by Jews.

Developing trading skills became a necessity in Europe when for centuries many Jews were prohibited from joining guilds, trades, and professions.

These mercantile skills were later rewarded by Hitler with propaganda about an international financial conspiracy, confiscation of assets, and concentration camps.

Today, Trump re-posts material by anti-Semites who blame Jews for economic problems.

Ed's joke has an evil historical context for Jews. Not so for the Scots.

It's easy for any of us to say 'don't take offence'. It's harder to be open-minded to why that offence may have occurred.

An early Happy Chanukkah and Merry Christmas comrades!

Last edited:
i think that so much trivial stuff gets pounced on these days that when serious, legitimately offensive stuff like this occurs it is dismissed by many as just "pc nonsense out of control".

i remember reading one article about Scott Morrison on kitchen cabinet. Morrison cooked a Sri Lankan curry and the article was chastising him for cultural appropriation
And the ridiculousness of this is that if nothing else was promoting a delicious dish.
A great curry is a thing of beauty. And I've has Sri Lankans cook delicious curries, blessings if food.

(Bias declaration: there isn't much food and styles I don't like.)

I actually couldn’t give a s**t about Wilson and her views on Ed. Personally I think she’s a vindictive troll that’s used her position as a chief football writer to further agendas for some time whether it was anti Swanny, Ed, Hird or pro Richmond. The uncomfortable truth is that she is as qualified for the role of club president as Ed is!

It grinds my gears that Australian cricketers now need to refer to batsman as batters and that we’ll soon need to refer to ruckman as rucks because there’s some inherent link there to violence against women. This isn’t to belittle the issue of violence against women because it’s a scourge on society rivalling drug use, but it’s PC overkill as is some of the OTT reactions to Ed’s comments. The harsh reality is that in 2017 as soon as one person is offended you’re in the s**t. You literally can’t say anything anymore and Ed just doesn’t get that...

With all that said I don’t particularly have an issue with his recent comments, but I’m happy to use them as a soapbox to raise my concerns with him as the President of our club from an operational standpoint! I’m not sure you’ll be able to grasp all of that, but to simplify it like you I do not like Wilson I just want a better President for our club...

Sco fair enough
Just pointing out the club is BIGGER than results on field
During the depression sustenance workers were employed to build our stand, my father was one recipient
Food via soup kitchens kept people alive and Archbishop mannix and John wren( god bless him) provided alms for the poor kept my family alive and I wouldn't be here without them , like many
The governmentnt sat by and laughed
I am proud of my club continuing this tradition that others have t ever done
In today's society it is required even more so
We have played grand finals every 4 years or so, SOME RECORD
Ed has done a super job imo
I'm happy to balance his positives with his negatives
His way ahead still

I actually couldn’t give a s... about Wilson and her views on Ed. Personally I think she’s a vindictive troll that’s used her position as a chief football writer to further agendas for some time whether it was anti Swanny, Ed, Hird or pro Richmond. The uncomfortable truth is that she is as qualified for the role of club president as Ed is!

I think we agree on an essential point here.

Ed is way past his time. It would, in my view, benefit our club if we moved to a new leader.

I don't see how being tied into someone's fiefdom is beneficial.
It's like the club is captive and can "only" operate in the Ed bubble.
Collingwood was big and much followed (with some success) before Ed existed; it will be so again after his era.*

Peter Murphy could be an ideal replacement as an example. I'm positive there are others.

* I don't expect Ed to ever give it up, he seems to define himself through Collingwood.

Sco fair enough
Just pointing out the club is BIGGER than results on field
During the depression sustenance workers were employed to build our stand, my father was one recipient
Food via soup kitchens kept people alive and Archbishop mannix and John wren( god bless him) provided alms for the poor kept my family alive and I wouldn't be here without them , like many
The governmentnt sat by and laughed
I am proud of my club continuing this tradition that others have t ever done
In today's society it is required even more so

Great post about your/our history thanks!

Collingwood FC was a powerful source of community wellbeing and class solidarity - something all of us can be proud of

Last post on this topic this year...

There is some historical truth underpinning the stereotype of financial savviness by Jews.

Developing trading skills became a necessity in Europe when for centuries many Jews were prohibited from joining guilds, trades, and professions.

These mercantile skills were later rewarded by Hitler with propaganda about an international financial conspiracy, confiscation of assets, and concentration camps.

Today, Trump re-posts material by anti-Semites who blame Jews for economic problems.

Ed's joke has an evil historical context for Jews. Not so for the Scots.

It's easy for any of us to say 'don't take offence'. It's harder to be open-minded to why that offence may have occurred.

An early Happy Chanukkah and Merry Christmas comrades!
Just a little question.

Considering Trumps family background I'm not sure he retweets what you've suggested.
He has many faults.
But his history has no suggestion of such behaviour.

Just adding to the history lesson, those of the religious Jewish background were as you say forbidden in many aspects. Hence they went into money lending, must have been allowed. This usury business also further added to stereotypes.

Some good history. There was a time, centuries ago, when the Spanish city of Toledo had a wonderful relationship between Christians, Islam, Jewish people. Each group were in harmony, each assisted in building each other's places of worship etc. Apparantly a great time for all.
I've actually been to the ancient city of Toledo and this harmony was on display going through the old city.
Loved it!

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/937e5e76d7a4a23f3b1eb6cccb5288dd

Is this guy incapable of keeping his foot out of his mouth?

- homophobic comments at the Winter Olympics

- calling West Sydney the land of the falafel

- the Adam Goodes King Kong disgrace

- calling John Eren a Turkish born Mussie in a professional setting

- the drown Caroline Wilson comments

- “Make Collingwood Great Again” inspired by whackjob Trump

- the “troubled” comments leaked by the Club about Lumumba and Krakouer

- now jokes about how tight Jewish and Scottish people are

Is this guy the Lena Dunham of the AFL? The old “it’s only a joke mate” routine should have worn thin years ago. When’s the penny gonna drop for him to just STFU with the old school race/gender/sexuality jokes in public?

Our Vice President, who I might add is about a million times more qualified to be President than Ed, is of Jewish heritage FFS.

As a person of Scottish and Jewish ancestry myself I think Ed can go EAD with his stereotypes.

Jesus, Alan Mcalister is looking like a saint in comparison to anerexic Ed. The Board need to rid themselves of the Toorak Toff. He lost his marbles in 07 after being boned as CEO by Nine.

How many more times can the Board sit on its hands placating this buffoon before they grow some nuts, do what they should have done after the Goodes comments and move him on?
Harden up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back