Roast Oh Ed, you've done it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering Trumps family background I'm not sure he retweets what you've suggested.
He has many faults. But his history has no suggestion of such behaviour.

You are correct, Trump is not an anti-Semite by conviction. He is, however, a cynic who seeks to garner votes and adulation by pandering to the alt-right who are anti-Semites. One brief excerpt from politifact.com:

Trump twice retweeted from the feed of the Twitter account @WhiteGenocideTM, which claims to be located in "Jewmerica" and regularly posts anti-Semitic material, and once from the now-defunct account @cheesedbrit, which had an account page that featured Swastika art and said in part, "we Should have listened to the Austrian chap with the little moustache" -- that is, Adolf Hitler.

Trump and Bannon's courtship, including re-posting their material, of anti-Semite groups helps legitimise/destigmitise these groups. It also brings many viewers to their sites resulting in conversions and advertising revenue. Trump's dog-whistling of racists continued last week with his re-posting of fake news about Muslims which also boosted the visibility of a fringe racist group in UK.

Trump's pandering to anti-Semites (and the accusations of sexual assault) has supposedly caused Ivanka great heartache. What sort of parent would do this when your child, son-in-law, and grandchildren are Jews? A debased cynic. A narcissistic cynic who presumes their daughter's love will prevail no matter what.

I broke my promise not to post again on this topic this year but I have cyber-love and respect for you Saintly so wanted to respond to your fair question.

P.S. Toledo is a beautiful city - love the river around it and the narrow winding streets

Ed is way past his time. It would, in my view, benefit our club if we moved to a new leader.
If what you say is true then why do you suppose:
a) Ed was elected to a further 3 year term only about a year ago
b) No-one stands against him (only happened once in his 18 year tenure)
c) At the Fan Forums he is rarely ever criticised or challenged
d) There are never any ground swells to amend the constitution to allow for challenges to Ed mid term, or to challenge any of his appointments

The only place I hear any negativity about Ed is by about 50 or so (its always the same 50), 'spoilers' on Social Media who almost always get zero backing for their constant harping

[Watch some of the same 50 comment on this post (just for clarification I don't put you in the 50)]

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/937e5e76d7a4a23f3b1eb6cccb5288dd

Is this guy incapable of keeping his foot out of his mouth?

- homophobic comments at the Winter Olympics

- calling West Sydney the land of the falafel

- the Adam Goodes King Kong disgrace

- calling John Eren a Turkish born Mussie in a professional setting

- the drown Caroline Wilson comments

- “Make Collingwood Great Again” inspired by whackjob Trump

- the “troubled” comments leaked by the Club about Lumumba and Krakouer

- now jokes about how tight Jewish and Scottish people are

Is this guy the Lena Dunham of the AFL? The old “it’s only a joke mate” routine should have worn thin years ago. When’s the penny gonna drop for him to just STFU with the old school race/gender/sexuality jokes in public?

Our Vice President, who I might add is about a million times more qualified to be President than Ed, is of Jewish heritage FFS.

As a person of Scottish and Jewish ancestry myself I think Ed can go EAD with his stereotypes.

Jesus, Alan Mcalister is looking like a saint in comparison to anerexic Ed. The Board need to rid themselves of the Toorak Toff. He lost his marbles in 07 after being boned as CEO by Nine.

How many more times can the Board sit on its hands placating this buffoon before they grow some nuts, do what they should have done after the Goodes comments and move him on?
You may want to check on the origin of "EAD" before you start accusing others of sexuality slurs.

Just a little question.

Considering Trumps family background I'm not sure he retweets what you've suggested.
He has many faults.
But his history has no suggestion of such behaviour.

Just adding to the history lesson, those of the religious Jewish background were as you say forbidden in many aspects. Hence they went into money lending, must have been allowed. This usury business also further added to stereotypes.

Some good history. There was a time, centuries ago, when the Spanish city of Toledo had a wonderful relationship between Christians, Islam, Jewish people. Each group were in harmony, each assisted in building each other's places of worship etc. Apparantly a great time for all.
I've actually been to the ancient city of Toledo and this harmony was on display going through the old city.
Loved it!
There seems to me to be enough evidence that Trump has no problem channelling the anti-semitic elements of his base when he thinks it's politically expedient to do so. Many journalist have been subjected to shocking anti-semitic trolling for writing negative articles about Trump. The Donald says he can't choose who his supporters are but then he also won't denounce them when questioned on it. The trolls treat this as an endorsement. Then there were his attempts to minimise the role of the nazis in Charlottesville by suggesting that there were bad people on both sides. Again, the nazis love this stuff because they feel it's an endorsement. Denouncing Nazis is basically the biggest free kick any politician can get, so why wouldn't Trump do it?

There was also Trumps twitter exchange with John Stewart about the origins of their family names retold here by Stewart (who is goat imo):

Last edited:
Sigh. I wish Eddie would resign. It saddens me our president is a racist, misogynist, cultural insensitive embrassment to himself and Collingwood Football Club.

Now we can add anti semitic to the list.
He says while proudly using a pic from Seinfeld as his avatar. A show that had no qualms about poking fun at racism, misogyny and anti semitism.

Would have had 10% interest in this non story, but it dropped even lower when I saw it was old mate Travis fired up over this. If nothing else i have to admire dear Travis for being able to maintain his rage at our wonderful club for so long and on so many fronts.
Even more impressive is that his rant about offensive comments was full of offensive comments aimed at Eddie.
Just need to work out in my head is dear Travis just having a laugh with us or he is serious about his anger (nah, surely couldn't be that angry).
I will take all of Eddies positives a million times over the hardly earth shattering gaffes, which we all do from time to time. Please tell me Travis you are just having a laugh.

You are correct, Trump is not an anti-Semite by conviction. He is, however, a cynic who seeks to garner votes and adulation by pandering to the alt-right who are anti-Semites. One brief excerpt from politifact.com:

Trump twice retweeted from the feed of the Twitter account @WhiteGenocideTM, which claims to be located in "Jewmerica" and regularly posts anti-Semitic material, and once from the now-defunct account @cheesedbrit, which had an account page that featured Swastika art and said in part, "we Should have listened to the Austrian chap with the little moustache" -- that is, Adolf Hitler.

Trump and Bannon's courtship, including re-posting their material, of anti-Semite groups helps legitimise/destigmitise these groups. It also brings many viewers to their sites resulting in conversions and advertising revenue. Trump's dog-whistling of racists continued last week with his re-posting of fake news about Muslims which also boosted the visibility of a fringe racist group in UK.

Trump's pandering to anti-Semites (and the accusations of sexual assault) has supposedly caused Ivanka great heartache. What sort of parent would do this when your child, son-in-law, and grandchildren are Jews? A debased cynic. A narcissistic cynic who presumes their daughter's love will prevail no matter what.

I broke my promise not to post again on this topic this year but I have cyber-love and respect for you Saintly so wanted to respond to your fair question.

P.S. Toledo is a beautiful city - love the river around it and the narrow winding streets
Reply much appreciated. I learnt something.

Last post on this specific topic this year...

There is some historical truth underpinning the stereotype of financial savviness by Jews.

Developing trading skills became a necessity in Europe when for centuries many Jews were prohibited from joining guilds, trades, and professions.

These mercantile skills were later rewarded by Hitler with propaganda about an international financial conspiracy, confiscation of assets, and concentration camps.

Today, Trump re-posts material by anti-Semites who blame Jews for economic problems.

Ed's joke has an evil historical context for Jews. Not so for the Scots.

It's easy for any of us to say 'don't take offence'. It's harder to be open-minded to why that offence may have occurred.

An early Happy Chanukkah and Merry Christmas comrades!

Sometimes a post says everything that needs to be said, and all that can be done is to re-post it. Yours is one of those, cheers WBW.

If what you say is true then why do you suppose:
a) Ed was elected to a further 3 year term only about a year ago
b) No-one stands against him (only happened once in his 18 year tenure)
c) At the Fan Forums he is rarely ever criticised or challenged
d) There are never any ground swells to amend the constitution to allow for challenges to Ed mid term, or to challenge any of his appointments

The only place I hear any negativity about Ed is by about 50 or so (its always the same 50), 'spoilers' on Social Media who almost always get zero backing for their constant harping

[Watch some of the same 50 comment on this post (just for clarification I don't put you in the 50)]
Baltimore you are correct- absolutely that Ed is not challenged and was elected a further 3 years.
As to why, he simply has the numbers.
And on that, good luck to him fully.
People choose not to challenge them we can not complain at the outcome.

He had many good points and done good things.

My simple issue with Ed is the lengthy time. I’d prefer a new leader and don’t think it’s healthy that we are in a mood where our club has no alternative.

Doubt anything be will challenge anytime soon either. That’s the situation and good luck to Ed.

But I do bow down to his ongoing work ethic for our club and his undoubtedly passionate care. He hadnt diminished on that score.

But in all things a freshness is also healthy.

So we are clear whilst I think a change is healthy I will support our president and board in the hope we succeed ongoing.

For what it’s worth serms to me Peter Murphy has been a terrific plus for us. And Geoff Walsh too.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/937e5e76d7a4a23f3b1eb6cccb5288dd

Is this guy incapable of keeping his foot out of his mouth?

- homophobic comments at the Winter Olympics

- calling West Sydney the land of the falafel

- the Adam Goodes King Kong disgrace

- calling John Eren a Turkish born Mussie in a professional setting

- the drown Caroline Wilson comments

- “Make Collingwood Great Again” inspired by whackjob Trump

- the “troubled” comments leaked by the Club about Lumumba and Krakouer

- now jokes about how tight Jewish and Scottish people are

Is this guy the Lena Dunham of the AFL? The old “it’s only a joke mate” routine should have worn thin years ago. When’s the penny gonna drop for him to just STFU with the old school race/gender/sexuality jokes in public?

Our Vice President, who I might add is about a million times more qualified to be President than Ed, is of Jewish heritage FFS.

As a person of Scottish and Jewish ancestry myself I think Ed can go EAD with his stereotypes.

Jesus, Alan Mcalister is looking like a saint in comparison to anerexic Ed. The Board need to rid themselves of the Toorak Toff. He lost his marbles in 07 after being boned as CEO by Nine.

How many more times can the Board sit on its hands placating this buffoon before they grow some nuts, do what they should have done after the Goodes comments and move him on?
Nice. I thought you were serious until the ironic eat a dick, grow some nuts ending.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember life before Ed... brr

3665236085_56a729d92e.jpg

Last edited:
Sigh. I wish Eddie would resign. It saddens me our president is a racist, misogynist, cultural insensitive embrassment to himself and Collingwood Football Club.

Now we can add anti semitic to the list.
its one thing to go at Ed.
However, It’s a slur to add your last line.
Ed had long connections with Jewish people and never shown a spot of racism.

In the rush to bash into Ed might be better to keep to his faults than use anything to whack him.

Sorry, but Ed has faults but that isn’t one of them.

Baltimore you are correct- absolutely that Ed is not challenged and was elected a further 3 years.
As to why, he simply has the numbers.
And on that, good luck to him fully.
People choose not to challenge them we can not complain at the outcome.

He had many good points and done good things.

My simple issue with Ed is the lengthy time. I’d prefer a new leader and don’t think it’s healthy that we are in a mood where our club has no alternative.

Doubt anything be will challenge anytime soon either. That’s the situation and good luck to Ed.

But I do bow down to his ongoing work ethic for our club and his undoubtedly passionate care. He hadnt diminished on that score.

But in all things a freshness is also healthy.

So we are clear whilst I think a change is healthy I will support our president and board in the hope we succeed ongoing.

For what it’s worth serms to me Peter Murphy has been a terrific plus for us. And Geoff Walsh too.
I tend to agree with you on many fronts Saintly and freshness is good can be a good thing. But we don't want to have a change for changes sake situation

I tend to agree with you on many fronts Saintly and freshness is good can be a good thing. But we don't want to have a change for changes sake situation
Agree
Has to be a good worthy person

And the ridiculousness of this is that if nothing else was promoting a delicious dish.
A great curry is a thing of beauty. And I've has Sri Lankans cook delicious curries, blessings if food.

(Bias declaration: there isn't much food and styles I don't like.)

Sri Lankan food is amazingly delicious. I have SL relatives and man, that food.

Hoppers for brekky, pan rolls or fish for lunch, and a killer curry with a bunch of sambols for dinner, washed down with arrack.

Heaven.

He says while proudly using a pic from Seinfeld as his avatar. A show that had no qualms about poking fun at racism, misogyny and anti semitism.
I don't care for Seinfeld. I'm a New Jersey Devils supporter.

I strongly dispise anyone who in real life pokes fun at racism, misogyny and anti semitism.

You do realise, Seinfeld the TV show is not real. They are actors playing characters.

Our club president unfortunately is real and is a disgrace to our club.

its one thing to go at Ed.
However, It’s a slur to add your last line.
Ed had long connections with Jewish people and never shown a spot of racism.

In the rush to bash into Ed might be better to keep to his faults than use anything to whack him.

Sorry, but Ed has faults but that isn’t one of them.
Given the Anti-Defamation Commission received several complaints about Eddie comments, i think several jewish people are not very happy. Eddie only got himself to blame.

Last edited:
I don't think Eddie is anti-Semitic at all but Jesus Christ that is ******* dumb.

For those who are too young or not aware, Scottish people haven't ever been at the pointy end of centuries of grotesque caricatures which have seen them killed in countless pogroms. It's an extremely damaging depiction of Jews as all alike, financial rulers of the world and so on.

I say this as someone whose dad is Scottish and whose children are also partly Jewish that there's no equivalency here between the Scottish thrift joke and the Jew joke. Millions of Jewish people were killed in Nazi concentration camps because of the easy depiction of Jews as all alike, anti-social, conspiratorial, financial wreckers, money-lenders - basically the scapegoats for the calamities of medieval and capitalist societies.

Here's a timeline for anti-Semitism, if you can find any for Scots let me know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_antisemitism

As anyone who knows me will appreciate, I've been a big backer of Eddie for a long time, including around the Goodes gaffe which I took to be an ironic commentary on the commentary if you will. Once again I don't think Eddie is racist at all but he is just putting his foot in it too regularly and I think it's time to think about riding off into the sunset.

On Trump, I would definitely call him a fascist, racist a-hole.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back