Oppo Camp Oliver Henry (Traded to Geelong 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Since when is 21 goals in 15 games in your second year as a 19 year old medium forward developing at snails pace? I'd go the other way and say that's well ahead of the curve for young forwards at AFL level.

That pick 25 that you see as "fair" value will end up being pick 27-28 once bids are matched, but irrespective of that Ollie is worth at least a late first round pick just based on what he's done so far in his career. Every man, woman and their dog knows this both inside and outside of AFL ranks.

It's about damned time this club of ours grew a spine at the trade table and pushed harder for fair value in situations like this, instead of being all "magnanimous" about it and accepting whatever is offered just so that we can "move on".

Dude, whatever. I rate a pea heart that got pushed out of Collingwood’s starting 22 as a 25-35 pick. I think that’s value.

You think he’s worth pick 18. It’s 7 places different to 25 in a draft that is likely better than 2020.

What world are you living in? We’ve not been bent over at the trade table for ages. Maybe Nick Davis was the last time we got beaten.

Jesus Christ. Let’s do a StK and give Luke Ball away for nothing… who’d that turn out for them??

Wake up to ur selves. Each draft class is different. 2020 was an ordinary draft year. Plain and simple

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He was taken at pick 17 and has so far shown enough to suggest to most of us including the media that he will be worthy of that pick.
Thus pick 25 is underpaying noticeably. No one is saying we should get pick 1 for him. But 25 is definitely unders. The pies know that and the cats know that.

Yep pick 17 that lost his position to pick 44, pick 13 in the rookie draft and pick 3 in mid season draft… He’s the next Gary Ablett snr obviously

Let’s not compare a mature 25 year old footballer (Johnson) who has far less upside to a 20 year old (Henry).

Let’s not compare a player that’s had better output over the other player…

Can you guarantee Henry is gonna provide better output than Johnson in the next 12 months? The next 3 years?

You can’t. Medium fwds we have in abundance.

No c**t demanding insane amount of money for a contract extension or that demands a trade to cats should be pandered to.

Jesus Christ this c**t ain’t Cloke, Clement or Buckley ffs

Thank you for this post.

He ******* sooked. He thinks he’s entitled to be given the 3rd tall position. Earn it * ya.

We are team building at Collingwood now. None of this coast off your talent s**t that happened after Malthouse.

Earn your keep. This bloke asked for ridiculous money to extend his contract. Jesus Christ, Grundy is copping it all over the place for demanding (what turned out to be) overs.

Henry demanded overs, then demanded a trade to cats. * the guy. We’d be better off investing in a rookie pick like Noble.

Honestly, I got people questioning my loyalty to Collingwood cause I believe Henry is a so so player worthy of a 25 pick.

Tranquili, Aaron James and Stephen Pitt showed as much…

I am glad you are not in charge of our recruitment.
Henry is a great mark, has very good spacial awareness, footy smart in spades and he is pretty good kick. Yes he can pressure more and that can be taught and he can be better below his knees but the issue is I think his brain moves fast so this is an issue he will fix up.
We picked up Macrae at 19. If Geelong offered us 38 for him I would take it.
Henry's value has gone up and he is tracking as well as Ugle-Hagan and McDonald from the same draft who could be superstars.

We havent even explored Henry's versatility yet as he is only 20 and developing. He could be a jet across half back, eventually do more across half forward. At the moment you have a ten year 200 game player who will kick 300 goals. based on 2nd year averaging 1.5 goals a game. He is projectg to be better than that though.

You think 25 which will move to 28/29 is fair in a weak draft. You have no idea. We could get same player swapping our 3rds for one of Brisbanes 2nds. In short we are not getting anything for a 200 game ten year player who will fit into the Geelong side like a glove given Gary Rohan is as good as a boiled potato (except against us in finals)

We are being played. Cats have bent over for Brisbane but offered us 38 originally. They could have given up their future first for Henry and still done the deal with GC for Bowes and pick 7. I am sorry this is disrespectful. We should reject Cats offer on principle.

Only out is if Ned I screw over Collingwood Guy is allowing Geelong still to trade their 2023 1st rounder.

As for this comment Tranquili, Aaron James and Stephen Pitt showed as much…it just shows you have no idea. Probably a drunk.

Yes there is. The reason is one of them grew up in an Awesome junior pathway with top level coaching. The other grew up in Halls Creek mucking around with a footy with his mates.

Exactly. Johnson is inches taller as well. He can actually play a KPP. Johnson also has heart. Henry is a flake. That’s why he want to leave. Johnson would die for the club. Henry does not. * him

I am glad you are not in charge of our recruitment.
Henry is a great mark, has very good spacial awareness, footy smart in spades and he is pretty good kick. Yes he can pressure more and that can be taught and he can be better below his knees but the issue is I think his brain moves fast so this is an issue he will fix up.
We picked up Macrae at 19. If Geelong offered us 38 for him I would take it.
Henry's value has gone up and he is tracking as well as Ugle-Hagan and McDonald from the same draft who could be superstars.

We havent even explored Henry's versatility yet as he is only 20 and developing. He could be a jet across half back, eventually do more across half forward. At the moment you have a ten year 200 game player who will kick 300 goals. based on 2nd year averaging 1.5 goals a game. He is projectg to be better than that though.

You think 25 which will move to 28/29 is fair in a weak draft. You have no idea. We could get same player swapping our 3rds for one of Brisbanes 2nds. In short we are not getting anything for a 200 game ten year player who will fit into the Geelong side like a glove given Gary Rohan is as good as a boiled potato (except against us in finals)

We are being played. Cats have bent over for Brisbane but offered us 38 originally. They could have given up their future first for Henry and still done the deal with GC for Bowes and pick 7. I am sorry this is disrespectful. We should reject Cats offer on principle.

Only out is if Ned I screw over Collingwood Guy is allowing Geelong still to trade their 2023 1st rounder.

As for this comment Tranquili, Aaron James and Stephen Pitt showed as much…it just shows you have no idea. Probably a drunk.

I’ve plenty of idea my friend. And I may well be drunk.

But what is this absolute horse s**t. Henry is not worth anything higher than pick 30, his draft year was pathetic.

We aren’t winning finals with a soft c**t like Henry. Im happy to use pick 25 to get someone with more conviction. A Millane type. Or at least some one willing to fight to be at Collingwood

So, what are people's thoughts on why we didn't play him for the last 9 or 10 games?

Did he tell the club around R17 that he wanted to leave, and we decided not to put any more games into him?

Or was it purely his perceived deficiencies that kept him out?

So, if he signs a 1-year deal with the expectation that he will leave after that, then will he still be omitted from the seniors?

I mean, he is either fully committed and plays (he is good enough right now, we have plenty of guys getting a game that have deficiencies) or he should be shown out the door. How can there be a middle ground?
Irrelevant. The past is past. If he has any character & pride, then he puts his head down & has a really solid pre-season with us & he commits himself to winning a place back in the senior side. When the going gets tough, then the tough get going, Ollie! BYE.

I’ve plenty of idea my friend. And I may well be drunk.

But what is this absolute horse s**t. Henry is not worth anything higher than pick 30, his draft year was pathetic.

We aren’t winning finals with a soft c**t like Henry. Im happy to use pick 25 to get someone with more conviction. A Millane type. Or at least some one willing to fight to be at Collingwood

Draft choice 25 does not cut it. Must get a draft pick much closer to his original selection at 16. Plus we have spent 2 years of investing considerable time, energy & resources in his development. By the way, a Darren Millane type comes along once every 50 years & so do not use him as a benchmark. Otherwise let Henry go through to either the National Draft or the Pre-season draft. Let him cope with real home-sickness if West Coast or Adelaide, for example pick him up! Goodnight & good luck.

Gotta say I'm siding with Heater.

A lot of people seem to be fretting over a guy who, yes, can take a good mark and kick the odd goal, but the truth is he has a pea heart, is soft, treacle slow and has the turning circle of the titanic.

We are getting worked up over nothing. There is a reason why he is last amongst Geelong's priorities.
We are making out as if we are losing the next big thing.
Truth is he will be a fringe player at Geelong and if had stayed with us he would have been a fringe player with us.

He has some good assets but he also has some huge weaknesses.

Exactly. Johnson is inches taller as well. He can actually play a KPP. Johnson also has heart. Henry is a flake. That’s why he want to leave. Johnson would die for the club. Henry does not. * him

Johnson would die for the club????
Very well displayed in the finals...
Take Ur medication.
He is soft.....

This is pretty close

So you’re saying:

Pies lose Grundy, Henry
Pies receive pick 25, future 1st rounder

Cats lose pick 25 & future 1st rounder
Cats receive Henry & future 2nd rounder

Dees lose future 2nd rounder
Dees receive Grundy

At face value, Dees the big winners from this scenario but depends how much of Grundy’s wage they’d be paying. Hopefully all of it.

Cats are paying overs for Henry.

Looks OK from Pies perspective.

Gotta say I'm siding with Heater.

A lot of people seem to be fretting over a guy who, yes, can take a good mark and kick the odd goal, but the truth is he has a pea heart, is soft, treacle slow and has the turning circle of the titanic.

We are getting worked up over nothing. There is a reason why he is last amongst Geelong's priorities.
We are making out as if we are losing the next big thing.
Truth is he will be a fringe player at Geelong and if had stayed with us he would have been a fringe player with us.

He has some good assets but he also has some huge weaknesses.
I think you've pegged his athleticism wrongly. Talented but physically and mentally immature player. In some ways he's still like a draft pick - could be meh or really bloody good. I think he's a better bet than the mid range pick we'll likely get.

Cats are bringing in some talent and will continue to do so by targetting the Falcons kids, but the question I'd have is do you really want to be replacing the likes of Selwood by rebuilding with a group of blokes desparate to get back to their comfort zone? We might see a return of the handbaggers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise that Henry kicked more goals in less games than Ugle-HAgan, playing the same position...
I’d still take Ugle-Hagan in a heartbeat. No brainer. So much more upside. Movement, height, marking, speed and 196cm.

I wouldn’t be comparing the 2 based upon goals after 2 years in the game.

There wouldn’t be 1 sane list manager who would not be taking Uglr-Hagan over Henry.

Scenario. Geelong don’t find a deal to please Pies so Henry has to decide whether to stay a Pie or PSD it. Can the Pies pull the 1 year deal and insist on 3 (yeah I know, disgruntled players argument etc) or it’s the draft?
campaignery thing to do for sure.

And we don’t know if he lacks character or heart. All we know is he wants to play with his brother. I understand the upset in the thread as he wants to leave but there’s a lot of assuming going on when we don’t know sh1t about his character except that he would rather live in Geelong and play with his older brother.

Don’t be so defensive.

It was a genuine comment, if you don’t trade Grundy your cap is screwed so Melbourne hold all the leverage. I am surprised that you haven’t don’t this deal before bringing in Mcstay and Hill.

I will read the room, somehow I feel that reasoned discussion is not welcome, so I will bid you good day sunshine.
I have no idea what the reference to Grundy is because honestly, cbf catching up on the past 5 pages.

But why would Grundy not happen? Melbourne have been courting him since June, their captain desperately wants him, their list manager has said they will get him, and they’re planning their next premiership assault on the back of Gawn and Grundy playing together. What does any of that have to do with Henry lol?

I have no idea what the reference to Grundy is because honestly, cbf catching up on the past 5 pages.

But why would Grundy not happen? Melbourne have been courting him since June, their captain desperately wants him, their list manager has said they will get him, and they’re planning their next premiership assault on the back of Gawn and Grundy playing together. What does any of that have to do with Henry lol?
Read the original post I replied to if you want to know why I posted abiut Grundy. Only if you can be bothered.

I don’t doubt that Grundy will get done, but the longer it drags out the better Melbourne’s bargaining position is because Collingwood have spent the money that would be needed to keep Grundy under the cap.

Melbourne could literally demand Grundy for the 80th pick right now and Collingwood would have to say yes. I don’t know if Melb would do that, but it is a dangerous (or very trusting) situation Collingwood find themselves in.

Read the original post I replied to if you want to know why I posted abiut Grundy. Only if you can be bothered.

I don’t doubt that Grundy will get done, but the longer it drags out the better Melbourne’s bargaining position is because Collingwood have spent the money that would be needed to keep Grundy under the cap.

Melbourne could literally demand Grundy for the 80th pick right now and Collingwood would have to say yes. I don’t know if Melb would do that, but it is a dangerous (or very trusting) situation Collingwood find themselves in.
I’m pretty sure Collingwood and Melbourne already have a deal in principle arranged and are waiting on other deals to go through. They’ve been working at it for a while with a couple of capable and respected footy managers.
Not everyone has a Mackie in charge.

How about just piss off to your own board instead of coming on here and being a cantankerous prick.

And all of those blokes were in the top 22 of the club ffs.

Explain to me how Henry gets into our top 22 next year? Who’s he replacing when one medium fwd needs to make way for McStay?

We are building a functional fwd line we haven’t had since 2010/11.

Mcreery McStay WHE
Ginni Mihochek Elliot

Bench types that can play fwd:

Hill bianco McRae Johnson Wilson McInnes Kruger Cameron etc

Where the hell is a bloke that effectively just cherry picks and does nothing defensively fit in to our fwd line?

We don’t need a bellarinas and we don’t need blokes pick at 17 beaten by pick 44, pick 3 rookie draft and pick 3 mid seasons draft?

Honestly, * Henry. He has s*t character. We want Millane types. Warwick Capper kicked a lot of goals, good on him, he’s no ****** Lockett or cloke or that

He is 20

He has played 2 seasons.

Form and/or injuries will present opportunities.

He is going to get a lot fitter and a lot better.

James Hird did ballet

Capper and Lockett won the same amount of premierships.

Trade Grundy for a hopefully decent pick. Package that pick + ollie for pick 7?

We get pick 7 and Geelong get Ollie former first round pick who has shown potential + a pick around 20

What because I rate Henry for the price he’s worth?

How’s this sound, I’ll sell you my (imaginary) $1m house for at least $1m, got a deal?

You know Luke Ball got drafted pick 2, then we got him at pick 30. His value diminished by 28 draft placings and it screwed STK by refusing to trade with us.

Henry isn’t anywhere in the “Ball” park ; ) and I actually think pick 25 is Geelong paying overs and us fleecing them

How is pick 25 “fleecing Geelong?”
He is better than a lot of the players who will be taken before that pick. Your claim makes no sense at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back