Our Run home - near impossible to finish top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

We're done
Ok as much as I hate to admit it you were right and I was wrong. We’re cooked. I predict even if we do fall into 7th or 8th we’ll lose to eagles or port over there. If our performance showed a complete lack of hunger or desire I think the final nail was Balta and broad going down with season ending injuries.
On the positive, we’ve had a bloody good 4 years.

IMO we will be hard pressed to make the 8 now. We are about to drop out at the time we were expected to click into gear. Injuries are still hitting us hard too.
There's definitely a chance we miss the 8. At least the other teams competing around us (Sydney, GWS, Essendon, Freo) are all very inconsistent atm.

IMO we will be hard pressed to make the 8 now. We are about to drop out at the time we were expected to click into gear. Injuries are still hitting us hard too.

Not really. This was 1 game. we go even 5,6 or 7 from the last 8 & I think we will get in the 8. The final opponents are Suns, Pies, Lions, Cats,Dockers, Roo's, Giants, Hawks.

This team is not completely stuffed. Within 2 weeks we get Lynch & Toby back. We lose Balta & that hurts more for next year than this year, as he has been pretty s**t. Losing Broad would hurt more, but again - his last month has been really s**t. He has been among the worst for our sudden bad case of the fumbles. We now roll with Garth & or Miller now & even give Eggs another go. We find out what they are made of. Miller might do well & before we know it we have our next decade FB & CHB sorted. We maybe swing KMac down back to play as a 3rd tall type - he might save his career from there, who knows.

The key to our success has ALWAYS been incorporating new blood into this side and Dimma needs to buy in on that. Why the * he is making Naish & RCD sweat it out in the VFL while giving Samson a run is beyond me. I thought his presser after the game was weak as piss. Where did HE put his hand up and say they went into the game with the wrong team, that Ratten totally out coached him - he failed to swing any changes in the game to even look like changing the result. Why not drop Balta down forward considering how bad Samson was playing. There was little urgency I saw in the coaching to turn that match around. He failed to bring Shai into the game at all - it was a horrid and insipid coaching performance with zero accountability from him after the game.

The game against the Giants is key. Play the ******* kids Dimma. Next week, maybe we look more like this..

B: Grimes, Miller, Stack
HB: Short, Vlaustin, Mansell
C: Naish, RCD, Pickett
HF: Castagna, CCJ, Bolton
F: Riewoldt, Lynch, Dusty
R: Toby, Prestia, Lambert

B: Graham, Edwards, Cotchin, Houli

EMR: Chol, Rioli, Houli, Dow

This side would still have Aarts, Astbury, KMac on the fringe as well.

If Miller sucks, then we go back to Astbury, or try Garth

sink or swim fella's - just roll with it Dimma

the team in 2017 was choc full fo young players - many who only got their spot in the team after the bye rounds.

This loss is a massive reflection of where we have been heading all year.

But, it does not need to be the end.

Commit to the kids we have - play RCD, Naish, Mansell. Hand the keys over and drop Houli, Astbury, Aarts, KMac, Georgie, Graham & even the defenders + others to the seconds to let then realise, the end is nigh unless you can transform yourself ASAP. If you want to play on, then be prepared to have to fight for a spot on this team. If you don't want to fight for it - then fu** off and give your spot to someone else like Grigg did. The club is bigger than any individual. If you are contracted for next season, then be prepared to be dropped if your form doesn't met the standard.

Let see these guys not play for a 3peat, but play for their careers. Let the kids take on the challenge of taking out some of the greats to earn their time. The worst thing is we are a captain going down on the ship with some bullshit pride. When you are a sports team, there is no pride associated with going down with the ship. - you only ever try to resurrect it. The club is ALWAYS bigger than the individualView attachment 1164309
There is more to it than that. I get your point but the playing group needs to lift. No use dropping all of edwards, cotchin , houli etc......not all at once.
cotchin tried . Just we were bad across the park, really bad. No mojo, no connection.

There is more to it than that. I get your point but the playing group needs to lift. No use dropping all of edwards, cotchin , houli etc......not all at once.
cotchin tried . Just we were bad across the park, really bad. No mojo, no connection.

Cotchin was really bad & was equally bad against West Coast. His trying has turned into him giving away silly free kicks and playing like a frustrated old man. I hate seeing him like this tbh. The fact the team had no mojo, no connection - as their captain, he carries even more weight for that. The last 2 years, really since Rance's sudden retirement - they have taken a tremendous toll on him physically, emotionally,, mentally & personally. Its just time for him to move on

And i don't think there is more to it than that, its time for the club to move on & invite these players to make announcements about their intentions at the end of the year. Let the playing group know the time for transition is now, & let the supporters say goodbye.

I wouldn't be dropping Edwards - i'm mainly talking about Cotch, Houli & possibly Astbury if his injury situation cant be resolved.

The key to our success has ALWAYS been incorporating new blood into this side and Dimma needs to buy in on that. Why the fu** he is making Naish & RCD sweat it out in the VFL while giving Samson a run is beyond me. I thought his presser after the game was weak as piss. Where did HE put his hand up and say they went into the game with the wrong team, that Ratten totally out coached him - he failed to swing any changes in the game to even look like changing the result. Why not drop Balta down forward considering how bad Samson was playing. There was little urgency I saw in the coaching to turn that match around. He failed to bring Shai into the game at all - it was a horrid and insipid coaching performance with zero accountability from him after the game.

Samson would have been played because they knew Chol would get destroyed by Ryder/Marshall and we needed another option. Now obviously it was never going to work but they prob had try something. Both Naish and RCD were given games and did ok, but neither really demanded to keep a spot. Naish I think had 2 kicks against Brisbane before being dropped, We all like what RCD brings but he only had 9 disposals against Essendon and only 40 kicks across the 6 matches he played. Thats not enough to hold down one of our few inside mid spots. Now as bad as Cotchin has been the last few weeks, you are not dropping the captain for RCDs output across the 6 games. If he was averaging 25-30 touches instead of half that it would be more interesting. He will surely get another chance at some point this season though.

People People People calm down we have a situation which in our minds knew was going to come just not this soon. It happens to all the best teams no matter how rich they are. Stop insulting each other forums are there for opinions and if you don't like someone's opinion move on and debate one you are in favor of.
As for the club, we have no excuses as people forget we were bragging about our list. Now we are going down the Collingwood track on blaming injuries you all remember that?

the poster you mention/ed seems to be enjoying the loss a heck of a lot more than the tiger supporter of the genuine variety....something is not quite right there.

I blocked the * wit. I don't need that kind of s**t here.

Geese we have a lot of fair weather supporters
The best part of following a club is enjoying the ride in the good and the bad
We have had an amazing run over the past 4 years that was more that I ever dreamed of being a kid growing up in the 90’s seeing zero success

Even if “we are done” (fwiw this year won’t be our year but still plenty ot upside to our list especially with a great draft hand)

We just get to enjoy watching a new bunch of future club champions develop
It’s literally something none of us have any control over so just enjoy the ride and wherever it takes us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cotchin was really bad & was equally bad against West Coast. His trying has turned into him giving away silly free kicks and playing like a frustrated old man. I hate seeing him like this tbh. The fact the team had no mojo, no connection - as their captain, he carries even more weight for that. The last 2 years, really since Rance's sudden retirement - they have taken a tremendous toll on him physically, emotionally,, mentally & personally. Its just time for him to move on

And i don't think there is more to it than that, its time for the club to move on & invite these players to make announcements about their intentions at the end of the year. Let the playing group know the time for transition is now, & let the supporters say goodbye.

I wouldn't be dropping Edwards - i'm mainly talking about Cotch, Houli & possibly Astbury if his injury situation cant be resolved.
Cotchin is always going to be one of the first to decline, he sacrificed his easy possessions style of play to using his body as a battering ram and he won us three flags because of it.
I’m surprised his body has held up as well as it has considering how much punishment he has given it
Except the roll he plays needs the rest of the team to pitch in.

he is one cog in the machine, but when the other parts don’t work neither does he.
if our senior players showed as much grit as picket we would not be having this conversation, he is one of few that actually has impacted games.

jack R is trying but our forwards are double and triple teamed. impossible.
our mids are not winning clearances and we rarely win the ball and run though the middle..where the most damage can happen. We are playing around the backline where the other team has time to flood back and fill their defence,

so two things need to happen. If we continue with this game plan we need a very good spread and understanding from our forwards, and some great Leeds and marking options. We also need the mids to kick to those leads.

So do we bother trying to scrape into the 8 or do we have a look at a few of the kids? I reckon we admit the year is gone and start throwing the magnets around

I dont think tanking works, we need to keep some older heads around to teach on and off the field. But we do need to start pushing a few out.
Houli - he is a legend, but it's clear that father time has caught up. The club should have the hard chat and give him a good send off. I'd love him to stay around the club as a cultural influence.
Cotchin - we all know what he has done for the club, but it's taken its toll. I dont think he needs to be booted, but he needs less responsibility. Perhaps at half back where his will for the ball can set the example and he can be a calm leading head.
Astbury - baltas injury maybe saves him, but he has struggled for a place in the team.
Caddy - really not sure. He should be on a hff, but dimma doesnt want to play him there. But I do like the idea of having him to protect the younger bodies down forward.
Aarts - pretty average and will be shot by the time we contend again. Should be let go.
Pickett - good and tough, though if we are looking for a half forward I'd rather caddy. Deserves the chance to finish up in Perth I reckon.
Castagna - one of my favourites, but is clearly down. But I'm not sure we have any other small forward options.
Reiwoldt - once lynch is back, I'd like to see him on the flank pushing further up the ground. A bit like richo, clear the 50 for some of the younger guys. And he may just have one more great season to give us.

Of the younger guys
DEG - probably gone
Naish - must play
Ross - must play in cotchin current role. Give him 6-7 weeks to prove he can be a mid, given that's what he was when he exploded onto the scene
Stack - must play if we think he is fit. We need to know if he is willing to work for it
Dow/rcd - one or both of these guys needs to play every week. We need to rebuild our aged and battered engine room

So do we bother trying to scrape into the 8 or do we have a look at a few of the kids? I reckon we admit the year is gone and start throwing the magnets around

I dont think tanking works, we need to keep some older heads around to teach on and off the field. But we do need to start pushing a few out.
Houli - he is a legend, but it's clear that father time has caught up. The club should have the hard chat and give him a good send off. I'd love him to stay around the club as a cultural influence.
Cotchin - we all know what he has done for the club, but it's taken its toll. I dont think he needs to be booted, but he needs less responsibility. Perhaps at half back where his will for the ball can set the example and he can be a calm leading head.
Astbury - baltas injury maybe saves him, but he has struggled for a place in the team.
Caddy - really not sure. He should be on a hff, but dimma doesnt want to play him there. But I do like the idea of having him to protect the younger bodies down forward.
Aarts - pretty average and will be shot by the time we contend again. Should be let go.
Pickett - good and tough, though if we are looking for a half forward I'd rather caddy. Deserves the chance to finish up in Perth I reckon.
Castagna - one of my favourites, but is clearly down. But I'm not sure we have any other small forward options.
Reiwoldt - once lynch is back, I'd like to see him on the flank pushing further up the ground. A bit like richo, clear the 50 for some of the younger guys. And he may just have one more great season to give us.

Of the younger guys
DEG - probably gone
Naish - must play
Ross - must play in cotchin current role. Give him 6-7 weeks to prove he can be a mid, given that's what he was when he exploded onto the scene
Stack - must play if we think he is fit. We need to know if he is willing to work for it
Dow/rcd - one or both of these guys needs to play every week. We need to rebuild our aged and battered engine room
Although I don't think we win it, until we are knocked out you have to go all out for a flag this year. The chance for 3 peats, well it might not come around again in any lifetimes soon.

Of the younger guys
DEG - probably gone
Naish - must play

Yes, of course we still try to make the 8. It was one loss, but we got to learn the lesson which has been ******* staring us in the face all year - WE NEED TO COMMIT to our next generation! The club needs to decide if it wants to do the best they can this year, or stick to this warm and fuzzy fairtytale of the old brigade getting their 3peat & living happily ever after.

Yep just another oppo troll you can spot them a mile off , 2 other ones on the site as well .

'Yep a oppo troll who knows and understands this team so well, that not only did i completely predict this situation 6 weeks ago, i continued to push the same narrative - almost daily - and implored the club to commit to our most talented youth to help refresh a side that looked flat and to lack hunger.

To even further push my cunning ruse on you and your friends, I then did some immense trickery, by deep diving at length, multiple times, about various different era's of the clubs past 30 years, even recalling specific moments from various games, played on many lost & meaningless sunday afternoons. I even watched our VFL games, twice, and provided a player by player analysis - one of which included a damn near perfect review of Samson Ryan, which literally played out in the seniors just 3 days ago. Oh the laughs i had spending my time writing these fake & completely accurate reviews...

I didn't ENJOY the performance on Friday, but i wasn't shocked from it.... because I support the team as a grown -unlike many others here who have put their fanboy pants on too tight & have a meltdown at anyone being vaguely critical of the club, even if they back it up with facts, stats, theory & historical examples - i could SEE THIS COMING & TRIED TO WARN YOU ALL.

The irony is you all missed this warning, likely because you blocked me & didn't see my post anymore.... oh the irony & offended you could have avoided if you just learned to read an opinion which represented "another side of the coin" ....

As I have said COUNTLESS TIMES though... I think this team can still make the finals and still have a very meaningful season, by playing the kids and ensuring they can get some finals footy under their belt which i think is paramount to creating a successful culture for your footy club. Club needs to be tough to do that though - and the supporters need to be mature enough to understand why the club needs to do it. - a club afraid of their supporters reactions, is a club that fails miserably. Just like we did for 35 years & just like Carlton are doing right now.

Last edited:
'Yep a oppo troll who knows and understands this team so well, that not only did i completely predict this situation 6 weeks ago, i continued to push the same narrative - almost daily - and implored the club to commit to our most talented youth to help refresh a side that looked flat and to lack hunger.

To even further push my cunning ruse on you and your friends, I then did some immense trickery, by deep diving at length, multiple times, about various different era's of the clubs past 30 years, even recalling specific moments from various games, played on many lost & meaningless sunday afternoons. I even watched our VFL games, twice, and provided a player by player analysis - one of which included a damn near perfect review of Samson Ryan, which literally played out in the seniors just 3 days ago. Oh the laughs i had spending my time writing these fake & completely accurate reviews...

I didn't ENJOY the performance on Friday, but i wasn't shocked from it.... because I support the team as a grown -unlike many others here who have put their fanboy pants on too tight & have a meltdown at anyone being vaguely critical of the club, even if they back it up with facts, stats, theory & historical examples - i could SEE THIS COMING & TRIED TO WARN YOU ALL.

The irony is you all missed this warning, likely because you blocked me & didn't see my post anymore.... oh the irony & offended you could have avoided if you just learned to read an opinion which represented "another side of the coin" ....

As I have said COUNTLESS TIMES though... I think this team can still make the finals and still have a very meaningful season, by playing the kids and ensuring they can get some finals footy under their belt which i think is paramount to creating a successful culture for your footy club. Club needs to be tough to do that though - and the supporters need to be mature enough to understand why the club needs to do it. - a club afraid of their supporters reactions, is a club that fails miserably. Just like we did for 35 years & just like Carlton are doing right now.
Why are you wasting your time on Big Footy? The club needs you at Punt Road...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back