List Mgmt. Part 3- And on it goes: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Sturt will be far more than that...Do you?

From footage Sturt has more sell points than Taylor for me. Crumb, lead, longer kick. Taylor looks like a role player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally i just dont rate medium forwards that highly in a team. Unless they are absolute class and can run through the midfield.

No doubt I'm just naive and don't understand the role, but when was the last time Lecras marked the ball well overhead?

His role can either be filled by adding another small, like Cameron. Or by a taller marking player in Allen/Brander.

Then theres still Ah Chee. I dont know, I just don't see that role as pressing need. Whack Oscar in there and away we go.

This talk of Sturt and Taylor doesn't excite me personally. Twomey the campaigner needs to calm down.

Personally i just dont rate medium forwards that highly in a team. Unless they are absolute class and can run through the midfield.

No doubt I'm just naive and don't understand the role, but when was the last time Lecras marked the ball well overhead?

His role can either be filled by adding another small, like Cameron. Or by a taller marking player in Allen/Brander.

Then theres still Ah Chee. I dont know, I just don't see that role as pressing need. Whack Oscar in there and away we go.

This talk of Sturt and Taylor doesn't excite me personally. Twomey the campaigner needs to calm down.
Look at the video of Sturt again mate...I think he'll end up in the midfield.
One touch player (I rate this as the most important attribute), good vision and ability to read the play quickly. Long kick and good mark.
Combine this with the fact he's still fairly new to the game and it makes him an exciting prospect.

That said I'm also in the Smith camp.

If we get any combination of;
Sturt
Smith
McLennan
Duursma

To a lesser degree but still happy
O'Halloran
Hill
Williams
Kennerley
McHenry

I'll be a very happy armchair expert :moustache:
* It's funny how I haven't seen any of these players live yet I've genuinely formed very strong options off videos...I'll back my eye though.

One touch player (I rate this as the most important attribute), good vision and ability to read the play quickly. Long kick and good mark.
Combine this with the fact he's still fairly new to the game and it makes him an exciting prospect.

Sturt
Smith
McLennan
Duursma

O'Halloran
Hill
Williams
Kennerley
McHenry

* It's funny how I haven't seen any of these players live yet I've genuinely formed very strong options off videos...I'll back my eye though.
I would take your second group over your first group anyday.

Sturt
Smith
McLennan
Duursma

O'Halloran
Hill
Williams
Kennerley
McHenry

Sturt showed his poor ball drop in the TAC GF and is not a long kick.

That aside, happy with those 9 and there are others so we can hopefully relax.

Sturt showed his poor ball drop in the TAC GF and is not a long kick.

That aside, happy with those 9 and there are others so we can hopefully relax.
Looks to have reasonable penetration from the video...Then again, it's only one video.

You're in the Valente camp aren't you?
If knowledgeable members like yourself and Monocle like him, there must be something there but he does seem very Dunstan(esque) from the vids.
Mind you, I do favour certain types of players and generally inside mids aren't it. (Unless they're freaks)

Looks to have reasonable penetration from the video...Then again, it's only one video.

You're in the Valente camp aren't you?
If knowledgeable members like yourself and Monocle like him, there must be something there but he does seem very Dunstan(esque) from the vids.
Mind you, I do favour certain types of players and generally inside mids aren't it. (Unless they're freaks)
Valente does everything to a high standard but is not elite in any one area. I think he will flourish in an AFL environment. Not much difference between Kennedy (Sydney) and Dunstan - I think if Adelaide had of taken Dunstan, then he would have made it.

Valente does everything to a high standard but is not elite in any one area. I think he will flourish in an AFL environment. Not much difference between Kennedy (Sydney) and Dunstan - I think if Adelaide had of taken Dunstan, then he would have made it.
Of the players who may be available at our selection, which are your top 5 in order of want?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ArdentEagle :

Re Valente all Clubs would like that his disposal efficiency is so high.

Can’t remember to many other kids at the Championships EVER who played an inside / outside midfield role that averaged 23 disposals with 84 % disposal efficency .

Now I may be in a minority but I call that sort of high level disposal....... "elite".

For the record I rate Sturt as a better option than Taylor , as I see Sturt being able to play in more positions and gives more role versatility.

One point for you to also consider.

There seems to have been a common denominator with our recruiting since Rawlings has been on board that the ability to mark overhead is a skill valued by our recruiters.
Given that ,Sturt, Taylor and O’Halloran all tick that box better than most around our draft range.

With the exception of Ainsworth all our draftees last year were good in the air.

Anyway it’s all speculative and gives us plebs something to do .

Who will we get , I have NFI but it’s a bit of fun speculating.

Last edited:
ArdentEagle :

Re Valente all Clubs would like that his disposal efficiency is so high.

Can’t remember to many other kids at the Championships EVER who played an inside / outside midfield role that averaged 23 disposals with 84 % disposal efficency .

Now I may be in a minority but I call that high level disposal elite.

I reckon Valente will be one of those guys who makes up for being slow by making quick decisions and being clean with his hands.

Foley would be a reach, but he's got his fans. Would mind him if he slips, as he can play any line.

Joyce has electric pace and is very clean by hand. Worse players being thrown around here as options.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be that as it may.

Can you in all honesty say that you would not feel disappointed if our two first picks were Foley and Joyce ?

Personally that haul would reek of not maximising our draft position and grossly under utalization of draft options.

But it would keep the "WA centric " happy as both kids live in a suburb with a postcode starting with a 6.

20 and 22 are good picks we need to make the most of them to add to the impressive youth that we added to our list last draft, two good draft hauls in a row set Clubs up for success.

Last edited:
Any chance we do a trade?

May make sense to move a pick 20 for a first round pick next year if a team is willing

O'Brien said if a player we rate is still available later we will look at trading to land them.

From that it sounds like a later pick and for a player such as Joyce. If he or another say like Williams, Kennerly or Smith is still available say in the late 30's or 40's Id love use to trade a future pick to land one of those.

Joyce last year before that hip injury looked lvery good. A Shuey replacement. Impacts around stoppages, burst speed and great hands and a decent kick. If he had of maintained that in 2018 he'd be in first round discussions.

Last edited:
Of the players who may be available at our selection, which are your top 5 in order of want?
I am listing in order but the assumption is we diversify (I would not go both Valente and Smith) and I really want at least 1 inside mid

I am also assuming we get Cameron

I am not listing those players I rate earlier - Stocker etc

Here are some sliders first
- Clark - just hoping he slides with the Glandular Fever bit and I see him more as a outside mid who can play hbf or hff and Allen and a Brander will salivate being on the end of his passes
- Hill - he is worrying some teams and his 2018 was only so so but has huge upside

More realistical to be available at our pick:-
- Duursma - love his ability to play multiple roles and about the most balanced mid in the draft post after say pick 15
- Valente - I see him as a 200 + gamer and Hurn will be his mentor as he commands centre
- O’Halloran - both inside and outside mid but not your bull, great skills and pace but will not rack up massive stats
- Smith - an inside bull
- McLennan - hbf that has class and reads play well

Foley, Stack, Joyce are all ok but reaches at our picks

I could handle Williams at one of our picks - starting to come around to it

It would be right for me to not bang the drum once more for Eastland at one of our picks in the 4th round

I am pretty relaxed this year. We will have loads of choices and most of them good ones. I will be disappointed if we don’t get one of the above mids. I don’t really want a Sturt or Taylor but see that them as O’Brien picks so am bracing myself

Put things in perspective- in 2016 I was pissed off we took Venables ahead of Berry. I stated at the time Berry would be a great inside mid and to this day, I still prefer him to Venables. That is to give insights to my leaning and not to open up the debate.

Joyce last year before that hip injury looked lvery good. A Shuey replacement. Impacts around stoppages, burst speed and great hands and a decent kick. If he had of maintained that in 2018 he'd be in first round discussions.

I like everything about him except his kicking , it looked pretty average at times last year and that worried me.

O'Brien said if a player we rate is still available later we will look at trading to land them.

From that it sounds like a later pick and for a olayer such as Joyce. If he or another say like Williams, Kennely or Smith is still available say in the late 30's or 40's Id love use to trade a future pick to land one of those.

Is it just me but I think Joyce is a poor kick?

I like everything about him except his kicking , it looked pretty average at times last year and that worried me.
Beat me to it. He showed great dash and loved his acceleration but then let himself down in disposal. I did not want Ainsworth for the very same reason and to have both- I’d be pissed.

Last edited:
interesting take considering the midfielders we've fielded in the past decade
None of the other AFL clubs picked him up after his delisting. Doubt we'll miss him at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back