Patrick Dangerfield - Slowing Down?

Remove this Banner Ad

Believe Me

Debutant
Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Patrick Dangerfield at the same time last year was considered the competition's best player, and one of the brownlow favourites. Now, at the same point in the season this year, he looks a shadow of his former self.

Looking at his disposals for the past 5 weeks (27, 26, 27, 29, 28), he is still getting a reasonable amount of ball. However, he looks slower and less damaging that previous seasons. Can we attribute this to his age? Or has he been overshadowed by superior mids like Nat Fyfe and Dustin Martin?

Patrick Dangerfield at the same time last year was considered the competition's best player, and one of the brownlow favourites. Now, at the same point in the season this year, he looks a shadow of his former self.

Looking at his disposals for the past 5 weeks (27, 26, 27, 29, 28), he is still getting a reasonable amount of ball. However, he looks slower and less damaging that previous seasons. Can we attribute this to his age? Or has he been overshadowed by superior mids like Nat Fyfe and Dustin Martin?
Oh boy this’ll be good

Given his form is unrelated to Fyfe and Martin cant see the logic. If he plays tight inside at the clearances you see the stats your seeing from him. The stunning thing was his form playing as a forward, and I haven't noticed him there as much.

Can we attribute this to his age?
What, 28?

Dangerfield is playing in a better midfield than last season and particularly 2016, so his numbers are down.

Furthermore, his 'minor' ankle injury in the pre-season was clearly more severe than Geelong let on and he will need time to get back to fitness.

Doesn't look 100% fit to me.

As we saw the last few years with Fyfe when not 100% he was nowhere near as good.

This. Whenever a player who has shown the ability to play at a high level over a prolonged and sustained period of time has a drop in form, it is almost certainly due to the effects of injury. Similarly, when a previously middle-of-the-pack has a break-out year, it is invariably built on a pre-season where they were able to train at a high level, often the first time unrestricted by injury.

I think viewers and the media underestimate the effect that niggling injuries / lack of injury have on a player's form.

Doesn't look 100% fit to me.

As we saw the last few years with Fyfe when not 100% he was nowhere near as good.

I see a fair bit of the Cats & he's not right, still very good but not at his best for most of this season.

I see a fair bit of the Cats & he's not right, still very good but not at his best for most of this season.
Has definitely been carrying an injury. On Saturday, admittedly against little opposition, we started to see the old Dangerfield. The OP can relax. Dangerfield is far from finished

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Whenever a player who has shown the ability to play at a high level over a prolonged and sustained period of time has a drop in form, it is almost certainly due to the effects of injury. Similarly, when a previously middle-of-the-pack has a break-out year, it is invariably built on a pre-season where they were able to train at a high level, often the first time unrestricted by injury.

I think viewers and the media underestimate the effect that niggling injuries / lack of injury have on a player's form.
This!

One player who comes to mind when reading this post is Shaun Higgins. Written off by so many in recent years, even though he'd copped debilitating injuries. Higgins is now injury free and in Brownlow form

Definitely down on output, but I think he's spent less time in the middle as well. Whether that's to make way for others, or because of injury, who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back