News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

The People's Stadium?

This feels like one of those rare opportunities for us as a fanbase to own the name of our stadium. Maybe we could create "We The People" posters and really take this thing into overdrive.

The people’s elbow?
9ecbba2badbcc0838ce47308746e12e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

hmm PFB huh
all the official fixtures etc still have HBS. i wonder if it will remain as is? signage at ground? guess keep an eye onthat over summer

doesnt roll of the tongue thats for sure

(PFB) is a common inflammatory reaction of the hair follicle, most often on the face as a result of shaving. Also known as “razor bumps”

Razor stadium?

hmm PFB huh
all the official fixtures etc still have HBS. i wonder if it will remain as is? signage at ground? guess keep an eye onthat over summer

doesnt roll of the tongue thats for sure

(PFB) is a common inflammatory reaction of the hair follicle, most often on the face as a result of shaving. Also known as “razor bumps”

Razor stadium?

could get one more year of HBS
1701160723451.png

The People's Stadium?

This feels like one of those rare opportunities for us as a fanbase to own the name of our stadium. Maybe we could create "We The People" posters and really take this thing into overdrive.
Everyone should just be calling it "The Bank" imo

Heritage Bank Stadium at least rolled off the tongue well, If they do change the name of the stadium again I think The Bank should become a way more common shorthand.

Heritage Bank Stadium at least rolled off the tongue well, If they do change the name of the stadium again I think The Bank should become a way more common shorthand.

Take it to the bank

Luv it.............Suns v Richmond at The Bank....:thumbsu:

It's up there with Suns v Geelong at The Cattery.....

The plan to have an expanded Carrara Stadium play host to the Brisbane Lions and cricket tests during the Gabba upgrade has gained pace with The Suns on board.

An exclusive Bulletin report revealed Mayor Tom Tate wants the state government to sign over control of Heritage Bank Stadium at Carrara to the council and nominate it as the temporary home of the AFL’s Lions and for major cricket matches.

The government has announced it would spend $50m to turn RNA showgrounds into a 20,000 seat AFL and cricket venue to replace the Gabba during the fours years it will take to build the new Olympic stadium.

Mayor Tate on Monday told the Bulletin of his plans, and 24 hours later after talks, City sources said Gold Coast’s AFL franchise the Suns supported the move.

“How could the Suns not want an extra 6000 seats regardless of whether the State or the council are paying for it,” a City source said.
“The Suns will be soon hosting home finals. That’s extra tickets that can be sold which mean an extra million dollars.”

City sources believe the AFL is warming to the move if a temporary home cannot be found for the Lions in Brisbane during the Gabba redevelopment.

Mr Tate said his proposal would see the northern end of Carrara “permanently closed in” ensuring capacity reached 32,000.

“Which means not just sporting games, it will open up other activities like boxing on the ground. Quite easily 50,000 can be there. It makes sense,” he said.

“Why spend $150 million on Royal Showgrounds for temporary when spend $50 million here for permanency.

“It’s a good plan B. What happens if the Gabba runs into a bit of problems. Then we have this capacity to have the opening and closing ceremony for the Olympics. It’s logical to do it.”

But Mr Tate said the key to the deal was transfer stadium ownership to the council.

“The deal is they transfer ownership. It was our land, anyway. The facility will require upgrade to world standard,” he said.

“I want to keep the facility top notch. So I don’t want it to run down. Not much I can do about it (at the moment), it’s not our asset. The key issue is transfer the asset.

“It’s bleeding money every year. Because they’re not sweating it. I’m saying, pass the asset over, I’ll turn it around.”
Seems like it's getting to the point that the Brisbane Lions don't really have an option other than to play home games at Carrara. This is probably a prime example of the difference between Brisbane and the Gold Coast where the Lord Mayor of Brissy is flat out denying any kind of funding commitment for the Lions/cricket whereas our Mayor is saying he's willing to fund the entire $50m to give the Lions/cricket a realistic stadium option.

I tend to agree that we will need to upgrade the stadium soon anyway once we start winning regularly/playing finals so why not do it now? 32k capacity feels like a good number for us as a city going forward and having 23k members this year means we're already close to having issues. We don't want to be like West Coast a few years ago where you've got people regularly being locked out of games because the capacity of their 60k stadium just can't handle the demand for tickets from their 100k members. I also think closing the stadium will improve the atmosphere on game day as the crowd noise will be mostly retained instead of being sucked out at the open end.

I just hope we use this opportunity along with the 2032 Olympics and potentially even the 2026 Comm Games (unlikely) to improve public transport to and from the stadium. Ideally that would include a light rail extension from Broadbeach to Nerang station with a stop at the stadium along the way but even a dedicated bus lane that eventually becomes a light rail extension would suffice for now.

Seems like it's getting to the point that the Brisbane Lions don't really have an option other than to play home games at Carrara. This is probably a prime example of the difference between Brisbane and the Gold Coast where the Lord Mayor of Brissy is flat out denying any kind of funding commitment for the Lions/cricket whereas our Mayor is saying he's willing to fund the entire $50m to give the Lions/cricket a realistic stadium option.

I tend to agree that we will need to upgrade the stadium soon anyway once we start winning regularly/playing finals so why not do it now? 32k capacity feels like a good number for us as a city going forward and having 23k members this year means we're already close to having issues. We don't want to be like West Coast a few years ago where you've got people regularly being locked out of games because the capacity of their 60k stadium just can't handle the demand for tickets from their 100k members. I also think closing the stadium will improve the atmosphere on game day as the crowd noise will be mostly retained instead of being sucked out at the open end.

I just hope we use this opportunity along with the 2032 Olympics and potentially even the 2026 Comm Games (unlikely) to improve public transport to and from the stadium. Ideally that would include a light rail extension from Broadbeach to Nerang station with a stop at the stadium along the way but even a dedicated bus lane that eventually becomes a light rail extension would suffice for now.
I am all for a stadium redevelopment. The stadium is good now but could become even better. I back Tate in to make it happen

Except the RNA redevelopment is not just a temporary redevelopment for displaced sport, its also an Olympic venue, and people have seemed to forget that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't aware heritage bank was getting any funding for the Olympics. I'd love to see it with greater capacity and extend the roof right around but had it ever been a sell out for AFL games. We've all been waiting for the support to come but idk. Hopefully they are in for sustained success and packed out crowds

Wasn't aware heritage bank was getting any funding for the Olympics. I'd love to see it with greater capacity and extend the roof right around but had it ever been a sell out for AFL games. We've all been waiting for the support to come but idk. Hopefully they are in for sustained success and packed out crowds
Last season there was a sell out against Collingwood.

Just having a look at highest attendances and recent attendance
View attachment 1872723View attachment 1872724they should be fully expecting and aiming for 20k + every home game in the next few years.
Ticket prices/GA sections is the key to getting that consistently particularly if its the home fans who have to pay every game (as opposed to travelling fans who dont mind paying a one off $45-75 a seat).

Ticket prices/GA sections is the key to getting that consistently particularly if its the home fans who have to pay every game (as opposed to travelling fans who dont mind paying a one off $45-75 a seat).
Are they likely to lower the prices?

I agree that's a concern. For arguments sake though, if the suns were an nrl team, off football operations alone being money from memberships/games etc, they would be the 5th biggest club in the 18 team nrl competition. That's pretty impressive considering the projected upside to come.

On another point, I saw the other day someone posted that the club doesn't get any income from concerts etc at the stadium, is this correct? What are the benefits in all the hassle of operating a stadium, if there is no slice of the pie on all events held there?

I agree that's a concern. For arguments sake though, if the suns were an nrl team, off football operations alone being money from memberships/games etc, they would be the 5th biggest club in the 18 team nrl competition. That's pretty impressive considering the projected upside to come.

On another point, I saw the other day someone posted that the club doesn't get any income from concerts etc at the stadium, is this correct? What are the benefits in all the hassle of operating a stadium, if there is no slice of the pie on all events held there?
I too thought we did get a cut? Where did you read that?

I too thought we did get a cut? Where did you read that?

It was in the gabba thread. Someone gave a breakdown of the suns deal at the stadium when talking about the lions potentially playing on the gc.

Sooo WWE and UFC at Carrara?
It'd have to be an event that's big enough to fill HBS but not too big that it couldn't go to The Gabba/Suncorp

WWE has done MCG and will be doing Optus in February.

Maybe AEW if they came over... but that's a big maybe.

It'd have to be an event that's big enough to fill HBS but not too big that it couldn't go to The Gabba/Suncorp

WWE has done MCG and will be doing Optus in February.

Maybe AEW if they came over... but that's a big maybe.

WWE at HBS, shut up and take my money!

They could run a raw or smackdown following or preceding a PLE at MCG or GC could pay for the event..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back