Universal Love Pick #2 - Welcome Andrew Brayshaw - 2022 AFLPA MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Usually only the smug engineers get promoted through the ranks. If you’re not brown nosing and telling everyone how good you are (even if you’re not), you’ve got no chance of being promoted. It’s more to do with corporate culture than being an engineer though. Especially if it’s an American company.

Going at his progression, Angus will play 2.5 games this season.

21 games, 10 games, 5 games.

What do you reckon Taylor is Angus going to come good again or is he going to end up like Keplar and Ben Griffiths and have to go give the game away to preserve his health or will he come good. Hell of a player in his first year. Have all those missed games been concussion or other injuries involved as well.

What do you reckon Taylor is Angus going to come good again or is he going to end up like Keplar and Ben Griffiths and have to go give the game away to preserve his health or will he come good. Hell of a player in his first year. Have all those missed games been concussion or other injuries involved as well.
I think that if Melbourne didn't think they were playing for finals he would have played more at the end of the year, he did well enough in the VFL at the end of the season.

He missed 11 weeks with concussion.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/119347/Angus-BRAYSHAW

The people I've met who studied physics are those that think they're smart. Very occasionally they are. A physicist is more likely to become an uber driver than be uber smart.

If Brayshaw is really smart, he'll choose what he's interested in and not just because people say that very smart people choose a hard science (WTF is a hard science? - thats very Sheldon).

Smart is a broad term but I promise you this, if you can complete a physics degree and understand the content, you are going alright.

A "hard" science is something that is fundamental to the universe (maths, physics, chemistry etc).
I hope he doesn't become an engineer; every engineer i've ever met are smug assholes who have zero social skills.
Being a smug assholes is entirely an individuals choice, it is not the fault of any profession.
Objection!
The same could be said for lawyers, dentists, accountants, doctors; the list goes on. I have met some tradies who think they are hot s**t just because they know their job well. Confidence breeds smugness.

Most of the socially inept people I know are accountants.

Think you'll find this is the catch cry for all women working in all industries. It's not limited to the engineering field.
I've never met a threatening vagina but hope one day I will.

Having spent some time working for a recruiting mob servicing many industries I've found that in general, engineers are one of the more grounded out of the higher end professions.
Lots of people think this (in many different jobs) even when they don't do their job well.

Anecdotally, most accountants have non-outstanding personalities and it comes off as being "socially inept". Most I know/knew are nice people just not the most thrilling people getting around.

Some of the most entertaining people I have met are Lawyers. Some I like less.

I'm not having a go at engineers or any profession for that matter that are good at their job. I find engineering fascinating and I wish I was intelligent enough to know more, in particular, bridge engineering.

The thing that pisses me off about the engineers I've met is that they always have to be right and have the last say on everything... A bit like Big Footy I suppose...
Yes this is a legitimate problem with engineers. Can't defend that one. They are generally know-it-alls.

A good engineer will have decent communication skills. IT IS RARE. But it does happen
Yes it is. Some seem to get better with age and some even become decent. Most of the good communicators were good before they were engineers though.
Good engineers tend to stop being engineers and become good managers.
I think that is a financial decision a lot of the time. I know several that don't want to give up the technical stuff regardless of the lures of management.
Who cares what people do for work. There are good and bad people in all industries.
I thoroughly concur with this. You can draw some different conclusions about people in different industries but this one applies to them all.

I worked in "Computer Stuff" (known for the rest of the paragraph as I.T.) for years, have known of plenty of engineers to take it up when they became bored of being an engines ear. They were better I.T. workers than the rest of us and exceedingly better at I.T. management than other I.T. managers I've encountered. <insert grumbles about demarcation here>

Who would have thought engineering would have stirred the chicken coup?

Like that time some idiot posted an innocent comment about Shorten, Howard, Labour vs Liberal which got an unexpected discussion going for pages.

Perhaps Mike Brady was better off as an engineer rather than an architect. (Pfft, architects, what have they ever accomplished other than the Guggenheim)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smart is a broad term but I promise you this, if you can complete a physics degree and understand the content, you are going alright.

A "hard" science is something that is fundamental to the universe (maths, physics, chemistry etc).

So hard means basic. Ok. And for the most part historical if you are including chemistry.

Physics is the most overrated of sciences, populated by people (not all) who would rather be on another planet and don’t give a stuff about this one. There are plenty of degrees that if you manage to complete and understand, you are going alright. Why is it so often physics majors who are such w***ers about other disciplines?

So brother Angus is apparently OOC in 2018. I'm guessing we see Andrew play some games for us first then start a thread on getting Angus - should be fun for the Melbourne supporters.

Nah, St Kilda will snap him up, ................................... well that's what they will keep telling us.

So hard means basic. Ok. And for the most part historical if you are including chemistry.

Physics is the most overrated of sciences, populated by people (not all) who would rather be on another planet and don’t give a stuff about this one. There are plenty of degrees that if you manage to complete and understand, you are going alright. Why is it so often physics majors who are such ******s about other disciplines?
I am not sure why you are so hostile but I assume it has nothing to do with me. Let's just leave this discussion I don't think anyone has anything to gain.

I am not sure why you are so hostile but I assume it has nothing to do with me. Let's just leave this discussion I don't think anyone has anything to gain.

I was totally addressing the comments you made. Nothing more or less.

I hope Brayshaw has an injury free start to his career and we get to see him show what Freo and other recruiters saw in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back