Universal Love Pick #2 - Welcome Andrew Brayshaw - 2022 AFLPA MVP

Remove this Banner Ad

Was that the last game prior to his serious injury? If I recall correctly he did his knee the following pre-season?

Last home and away game

Finals he played and I remember we beat the Hawks and he was pretty solid there too. I'll try dig up the youtube highlights showing him from a Freo supporter who used to do highlights packages with good soundtracks.

My biggest concern with Brayshaw is not kicking. I have seen him on more than one occasion hear footsteps and rush the disposal. It seems like more of a mental thing than a physical and I reckon these days every AFL midfielder has to put their body on the line without a second thought. It's just the way the game is and not everyone has the balls to do it. If you don't have this then you've got to be a very good outside player (In a Gaff, Stephen Hill mould) to make it.
The worrying thing is I am not sure it can be taught. Because of his draft position, fitness, and hunger for tackling, I think he will be a 150 game player for the Dockers but will never become elite.
Pretty harsh assessment I know but it's just my opinion.

He hears footsteps, It's a mental thing, hasn't got the balls to put his body on the line, can't be taught, will never be elite

Geezus H Christ

Brayshaw got 3 coaches votes in AFLCA voting this week - handy for an 18 year old who supposedly can't kick and is destined to be like Rhys Palmer!
10 Lachie Neale (FRE)
8 Nat Fyfe (FRE)
3 Connor Blakely (FRE)
3 Andrew Brayshaw (FRE)
2 David Mundy (FRE)
2 Joel Hamling (FRE)
1 Nathan Wilson (FRE)
1 Kade Simpson (CARL)

One coach likes Brayshaw's style, the other likes Blakely's... I think they are quite similar.

This Brayshaw criticism is 2017 Logue all over again.

I can understand if he was playing ok WAFL as a first year player or fringe 22 even.

This kid has more heart than a packet full of cards. He'd destroy wafl and give him time he'll polish his skills up and be very competitive at AFL no doubt about it

What I like about Brayshaw is his willingness to hold onto the ball if there isn't an option upfield. Too many (even experienced) players tend to just bomb it forward for a turnover. Brayshaw has the poise (and clearly the vision) the hold on and look for a better option. This will and does lead to the occasional HTB or ball-up, but it indicates to me he's a smart player. (That being said, there are times I'd like him to show a bit more confidence in his ability to kick it forward to the advantage of a teammate, but overall there's very little to complain about with this first year player.)

I'm only going on memory here, but I thought after Brayshaw cowered in a marking contest early in the season, I've seen him do quite a few courageous things and regularly putting his body in for the contested ball. That first incident concerned me a bit, but it's not an issue in my mind after seeing what he's done since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never been more certain, maybe Pav nowithstanding, that we had a genuine star on our hands based on (their first half of) their first season. He may not be Chris Judd, but he is without doubt going to be a top 3 pure inside mid in the comp as a minimum. Cerra is exciting and you can see how high his ceiling is. Will he get there? Who knows. With Brayshaw you can take it to the bank. That's why Brisbane hummed and hawwed about taking him and in the end they allowed the optics to rule their decision making.

I have never been more certain, maybe Pav nowithstanding, that we had a genuine star on our hands based on (their first half of) their first season. He may not be Chris Judd, but he is without doubt going to be a top 3 pure inside mid in the comp as a minimum. Cerra is exciting and you can see how high his ceiling is. Will he get there? Who knows. With Brayshaw you can take it to the bank. That's why Brisbane hummed and hawwed about taking him and in the end they allowed the optics to rule their decision making.

The talk before the draft was that if there is 1 certainty in the draft class to be an A grade player it was Brayshaw.

My biggest concern with Brayshaw is not kicking. I have seen him on more than one occasion hear footsteps and rush the disposal. It seems like more of a mental thing than a physical and I reckon these days every AFL midfielder has to put their body on the line without a second thought. It's just the way the game is and not everyone has the balls to do it. If you don't have this then you've got to be a very good outside player (In a Gaff, Stephen Hill mould) to make it.
The worrying thing is I am not sure it can be taught. Because of his draft position, fitness, and hunger for tackling, I think he will be a 150 game player for the Dockers but will never become elite.
Pretty harsh assessment I know but it's just my opinion.
What a load of utter insane rubbish (the above post) The kid is 82kg and second in the team in tackles playing against players significantly bigger on a regular basis. He quite literally puts his body on the line as much as any skinny first year footballer I can remember. It has been mentioned that he has pulled out of a contest or two on here before, but Ill bet you anything you like that happened because a teammate on the filed told him to pull out with a player nearby who could injure Andrew if he didnt. Brayshaw oozes courage on the field. The above poster is almost certainly an opposition troll. Quite possibly the most ridiculous post in BF history. (and no Im not exaggerating)

What a load of utter insane rubbish (the above post) The kid is 82kg and second in the team in tackles playing against players significantly bigger on a regular basis. He quite literally puts his body on the line as much as any skinny first year footballer I can remember. It has been mentioned that he has pulled out of a contest or two on here before, but Ill bet you anything you like that happened because a teammate on the filed told him to pull out with a player nearby who could injure Andrew if he didnt. Brayshaw oozes courage on the field. The above poster is almost certainly an opposition troll. Quite possibly the most ridiculous post in BF history. (and no Im not exaggerating)

Make this man a mod

Remove this Banner Ad

Back