Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s got a bit of campaigner about him just like Butters, but his talent is on another level to even Zak.

The most electrifying man in Australian Rules football.

Mooney, Brereton and the panel unanimous in picking Rozee when given the question, “Walsh or Rozee?” despite agreeing that Walsh is the next Robert Harvey!
Harvey was a all time great, but Rozee is Wanganeen-esque. If you had to choose between Harvey or Wanganeen on their day you'd be picking Wanganeen everytime. Can see why they'd be picking Rozee over Walsh, no offense to Walsh in the slightest either.

It's not just his speed, but his acceleration is ridiculous. Hits top speed in an instant.

When you've got an 19 year old kid playing their first season in the league, realistically you're not going to expect them to dominate entire games. Rather, you're looking for small bits of play that show a bit of x-factor, something to suggest "yep there's talent here to develop going forward."

That goal last night was special. Not just because of the difficulty associated with hitting top speed, burning off his defender whilst taking a bounce and then snapping it across his body from 30 out. There's something there with this kid. He has a real no fvcks given attitude about him (in a good way). Between him and Butters we'll have the two posted hated players in the league in 5 years time.

Worth repeating, when I set up a poll a few weeks ago on our favourite of the four 1st year players Rozee did not get one vote until nearly 60 people had voted. Less popular than Peter Dutton after our first 2 wins.
I voted for Butters. Not because he will be better than Rozee overall, but because I had seen something very special in Butters that very few possess ... Time seems to stand still around him when he gets the ball, it's like we are watching the Matrix!! He also never has an indiscriminate disposal, even if he stuffs up, it is because he is continually looking for a better/best option. We all love Robbie Gray, but IMO Butters will go on to eclipse him. Big call!

Rozee definitely has some stronger weapons than him, and he is an absolute beauty. So not voting for him does not diminish my estimate of him one iota! In fact somewhere here I have said that IMO Rozee will go on to have the most stellar career of the three. That all being said, if you put the poll up again .... I will still vote for butters again!!

Last edited:
If we want to talk about spunk, this guy's got spunk.
For sure, I'm pumped. I hope he can keep it up for a long time. His penetration through the opposition is unreal. Beware other clubs - Rozee is coming.

Let's erect a statue to commemorate Rozee's spunk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s got a bit of campaigner about him just like Butters, but his talent is on another level to even Zak.

The most electrifying man in Australian Rules football.

I am still trying to work out which one of the 3 I like the most. Duursma has probably been the most consistent like a more skilled Brad Ebert, Butters is super quick super competitive/ borderline insane Like a more skilled S Gray, and whilst I think Rozee is the most inconsistent atm, his speed and vertical leap could make him a quicker, more athletic version of Wingard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back