Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah I didn’t realise that but the other part of my statement stands, that it is easier for someone to get stats as a mid iie Walsh than it does in Rozee’s position

Oh don’t get me wrong. Rozee has special stamped all over him. Could be anything, and right now feels like the best kid we’ve had come through the doors in our afl era.
I think Walsh will be very good too, but he gets challenged when he starts having players go to him.

This guy is so likeable its almost ridiculous.

Will be front and centre of our marketing and membership campaigns for a few years to come.

All those kids who got the #20 on their guenseys because of Chad won't need to change a thing. Instant hero to many.
In the Carlton game there was a lady in the crowd wearing a guernsey which clearly used to have 20 on the back of it, but she ripped off the 0 so it's now just 2. I don't think it took her long to regret doing that (nothing against SPP either btw).

With R.Gray out, do we give Conner a brief run in the centre to develop his evasive skills? ...
He's already lined up at a few centre clearances, although I don't recall him doing it against North. Possible less opportunity with Ollie back. Given Robbie Gray looks likely to miss with injury I'm pretty sure you'll see him get another crack. Obviously depends how much we need him up forward.

How great is it seeing this kid pulling off the ridiculous, trolling opposition huddles and watching him celebrate like he's still in the schoolyard, all with the biggest grin on his face. His exuberance is infectious, and dare I say it with our other young guns they're bringing the fun back to Port Adelaide footy.

Still pinching myself we have him.

How great is it seeing this kid pulling off the ridiculous, trolling opposition huddles and watching him celebrate like he's still in the schoolyard, all with the biggest grin on his face. His exuberance is infectious, and dare I say it with our other young guns they're bringing the fun back to Port Adelaide footy.

Still pinching myself we have him.

For giggles here are the comparative stats for Rozee, Smith and Walsh. I include Walsh because there were those who would have had him at pick 5 instead of Rozee.

SmithVsRozeeVsWalsh.jpg

I know we are only 6 games in, and stats don't take into account everything like the fact that Rozee is an EXCITEMENT MACHINE! Also they are all playing different roles in different teams.

Some I found interesting. I would have predicted Smith would have the most contested ball for example, and that Rozee would have Otthe most tackles which playing predominantly forward is excellent. Others are much as expected, Walsh mops up possessions playing half back and Rozee has kicked the most goals by a streak.

Next time I will include Butters and Duursma just to complete the exercise.

I’ve only been watching footy since about 2000 but I reckon he’s the modern version of Wanganeen. Can play every position on the ground, great overhead, always beats his opponent, hard as nails, pace to burn, ridiculous skill, great goal sense, and an in your face enthusiasm for the game. Really unselfish and humble as well..

That’s a really good shout. I can visualise Wanganeen executing that running goal against WC in identical fashion.

I reckon Rozee could win the rising star. He has the excitement factor which regularly gets him attention. Since that Brisbane game, he's done something special every week.

I reckon Rozee could win the rising star. He has the excitement factor which regularly gets him attention. Since that Brisbane game, he's done something special every week.
To win the RS over Walsh (assuming Walsh keeps racking up 25+ a game) Rozee will probably need to kick 30+ goals, including another game of 5 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walsh plays midfield, so getting those numbers as such a young player is very good. There is a touch of Kane Cornes about him, in that he is such a running machine he gets into good receiving position for lots of possessions. But he is more incisive in his disposal than Kane. His kicking will improve with age.

Still, Connor is just amazeballs. So much personality, excitement and ability to change the course of a game in one also so young. The Victorian media has already anointed Walsh, but Connor in a completely different role is just as massive a prospect. Maybe moreso.

To win the RS over Walsh (assuming Walsh keeps racking up 25+ a game) Rozee will probably need to kick 30+ goals, including another game of 5 goals.

Like Jaidyn Stephenson - he kicked 38 goals last year, announced himself with 5 against the Crows in R4, also had a 4and several 3s mid season. A worthy winner, but being in the national tv spotlight every ******* week helps.

Like Jaidyn Stephenson - he kicked 38 goals last year, announced himself with 5 against the Crows in R4, also had a 4and several 3s mid season. A worthy winner, but being in the national tv spotlight every ******* week helps.

He also didn't have anyone of the quality of Walsh to contend with though.

Rozee is gonna be unlucky IMO. A kid with his talent and output would win the Rising Star probably 90% of the time, he just got stuck in one of the 10% years. There's no way he doesn't get it if the best he's competing with is someone like Jared Rivers, Danyle Pearce or Lewis Taylor.

The thing I like about Connor is that he has time to think he way through situations in a way that means he is not doing the predictable thing. For example, in the play that ended up in Boak's mark and goal, many other players would have tried to turn back towards goal before centring or having a shot. You can see from the way North's players we positioned, it was what they expected from him. So, to run away from goal gave him time to size up the situation and spot Trav. That's the kind of thing that makes him special.

The thing I like about Connor is that he has time to think he way through situations in a way that means he is not doing the predictable thing. For example, in the play that ended up in Boak's mark and goal, many other players would have tried to turn back towards goal before centring or having a shot. You can see from the way North's players we positioned, it was what they expected from him. So, to run away from goal gave him time to size up the situation and spot Trav. That's the kind of thing that makes him special.
Agree...What I have also noticed is his genuine acceleration either from a contest or general play allows him to kick with his natural right leg....he is seriously quick both off the mark and running. It's just his acceleration allows him time to look, sum up and deliver.
IMHO we have a 3 lads that you want to come to the footy and watch...sheer joy and we haven't had that for a while

Unlike a lot of players, I'm genuinely excited about what new things I'm going to see in the next game from Rozee and
(and Butters and Duursma for that matter). That hasn't happened for a long time for me.

Rozee said to BT that the reason behind the kiss the cheek celebration him and Butters would have to wait for the locker rooms and wouldn’t divulge.

I’m going to assume this means they are lovers and nothing will change my mind.

Butters2Rozee on the field, and everywhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back