Traded Picks 2, 20, 72 for Dom Tyson, Picks 9 and 53

Remove this Banner Ad

crazy roos. dees would of taken kelly male no mistake.

maybe it will go full circle an kelly ends up at the dees at the end of next year..

even if kelly leaves there still miles ahead.

Ladder positions have absolutely nothing to do with the trade. Tyson & Hunt have been playng VFL most of the year, Salem is an ok player whilst Kelly is probably in the top 5 players in the league. It wasn't a good trade but you would've taken Billings anyway so that in itself makes the trade a win.
Salem has just turned 23 and has 64 games under his belt. He's just about to enter his prime years and will be a very very good player.

Hunt has had a down year, but has great scope for improvement.

It is what it is. The best young list in the AFL could perhaps be even better, but so be it.

Salem has just turned 23 and has 64 games under his belt. He's just about to enter his prime years and will be a very very good player.

It is what it is. The best young list in the AFL could perhaps be even better, but so be it.
Who has the best young list in the AFL?

Had Melbourne of chosen Kelly - which they would have - then they most likely don't have Petracca, Brayshaw and Oliver. Obviously when you chose a player like Kelly it shifts the thinking for years ahead. There is no guarantee Melbourne would have the other 3. They may have chosen a talls or other players.

Had Melbourne of chosen Kelly - which they would have - then they most likely don't have Petracca, Brayshaw and Oliver. Obviously when you chose a player like Kelly it shifts the thinking for years ahead. There is no guarantee Melbourne would have the other 3. They may have chosen a talls or other players.
Why not Oliver. The pick they got him for was from the Suns IIRC.

Maybe 1 of brayshaw/ petracca but Kelly wasnt dominant in his first 2 years. Improved every week and looked a star in the making, but was just that.

Obviously GWS won this trade, but Salem and particularly Tyson were critical in helping turn us into a genuinely competitive side. I'd rather have Kelly, but can totally see why we did the deal.

Obviously GWS won this trade, but Salem and particularly Tyson were critical in helping turn us into a genuinely competitive side. I'd rather have Kelly, but can totally see why we did the deal.
I haven’t kept track but why has tyson fallen down the pecking order?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember the discussion at the time was that you were getting either petracca and Brayshaw or mccartin and Brayshaw.

Brayshaw was the certainty
Was gonna be Brayshaw and Lever actually.

I haven’t kept track but why has tyson fallen down the pecking order?
He's an inside mid and is behind Oliver, Viney and Brayshaw. Plus we're using Harmes in the middle tagging so Tyson has to play mostly outside where he's neither quick or a consistent kick.

That doesn’t really make sense, would’ve had Hogan and Weidemann was a f/s I think? Petracca and Brayshaw were an easy decision once Saints the dumb campaigners took Paddy. And the dees had a massive hard on for Oliver hence trading up for him. They’re draft/trading has been pretty bloody spot on recently, but this trade wasn’t the best.
Imagine Oliver, Viney, Kelly, Brayshaw & Jones as a midfield.

The whole dynamics of a club change. Who knows what would have happened.

We stuffed this one up, Kelly is a Rolls Royce.

Tyson may be gone at the end of the season but I like Salem, has had his issues but is starting to really play good football. He will never be in the same league as Kelly for polish etc but if he can keep improving then we will end up with a very solid player for years to come.

If Hunt can get back to playing good consistent football then at least i will feel a little better about this trade.

Tyson was an important part of digging us out of the Neeld hole, particularly in 2014. Definitely had a larger impact in 2014/2015 than I believe Kelly would have. We basically had no midfield besides Jones in 2012/2013 and it was a large factor in our horrible performances on field. Tyson, Cross and Vince were all instrumental in dragging us from arguably the worst side of the AFL era, to at least competitive. Kelly is clearly the better player now and a genuine A grader. Tyson is a limited player who can only play 1 position; inside mid, and we have had a number of players go past him in this position.

Salem has had a bad run of injury and some inconsistent form but looks a solid AFL player right now.

You would obviously take the GWS end of the deal over ours in hindsight. However It is nowhere near as bad a deal for us as some want you to believe. When you consider Melbourne were going to pick Billings (this is a fact) I think it is a favourable outcome, even if it tells an alarming tale about our recruiters at the time (tbf plenty of high picks do not deliver at expected level).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back