Traded Picks 2, 20, 72 for Dom Tyson, Picks 9 and 53

Remove this Banner Ad

No one with half a brain would ever have said this was a loss to Melbourne after round 1.

I agree.

And I think that no one with half a brain should be claiming this is a win for Melbourne yet. But carry on.

Nope - I pointed out it was way too early to consider it a massive loss to Melbourne back when opposition supporters were claiming so. And now I'm also pointing out the hilarity in Melbourne supporters so keen to jump on board in the opposite direction after only another month or two. :D No double standards on my behalf, just by some Melbourne supporters.

Edit: In other words - still too early, regardless of which "side" is declaring victory, and probably still win-win.

I personally think that Kelly will be an exceptional player so I'm in the win/win bucket

Considering all the players involved are around the same age And both teams are around the same stage in development I don't see how this can be a win/win trade.

It can be an even trade but not really a win/win.

For all Melbourne supporters it is a win/win trade, they won 2 absolute guns.

I was watching Salem on the weekend, the kid looks ultra classy - and very crafty.
If both these players - on their own - end up better than Kelly in 10 years, it was a big error by the GWS.

For all Melbourne supporters it is a win/win trade, they won 2 absolute guns.

I was watching Salem on the weekend, the kid looks ultra classy - and very crafty.
If both these players - on their own - end up better than Kelly in 10 years, it was a big error by the GWS.

Tyson wanted to go home so the club did not really have much of a choice. I'm confident Kelly will develop into one of the elite mids in the competition.

Tyson wanted to go home so the club did not really have much of a choice. I'm confident Kelly will develop into one of the elite mids in the competition.

That is the thing, Tyson is already nearly 'one of the elite mids in the competition'.
Just because players want to go home, doesn't mean you package them up as steak knives.

That is the thing, Tyson is already nearly 'one of the elite mids in the competition'.
Just because players want to go home, doesn't mean you package them up as steak knives.

I would have loved to keep him. When he could get on the park he had his moments. But he did struggle with injuries through his first two seasons. He told the Giants he wanted to go home, why wouldn't we trade for the best value? I love watching Dom tear it up this year, it is great for your club.

Didn't he sign a contract though? I thought he considered it then decided to stay, Roos wanted him specifically which is how he got involved.

I would have loved to keep him. When he could get on the park he had his moments. But he did struggle with injuries through his first two seasons. He told the Giants he wanted to go home, why wouldn't we trade for the best value? I love watching Dom tear it up this year, it is great for your club.

Jack is a GCS fan

Didn't he sign a contract though? I thought he considered it then decided to stay, Roos wanted him specifically which is how he got involved.

Tyson was contracted.

If the rumour is true, Roos initial enquiry was about Dylan Shiel however he was off limits . Then GWS floated Tyson as trade bait and the rest is history.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyson was contracted.

If the rumour is true, Roos initial enquiry was about Dylan Shiel however he was off limits . Then GWS floated Tyson as trade bait and the rest is history.
It was like losing $1 and finding $100 :')

I think Kelly will s**t all over Salem in the long run. Tysons a good get though.
Robert Shaw who coached them both at Brighton Grammar said they are impossible to split and if anything, Salem is more of a match winner.

I think Kelly will s**t all over Salem in the long run. Tysons a good get though.
In the same way that Judd was better than Hodge (not saying that either will get to that stage). Kelly will be a ball magnet, can use it well too. Salem will probably get 20 disposals a game but has outstanding foot skills and nous.

Tyson's just awesome.

I'm very happy.

I bet GWS are happy too, if not a bit miffed that Tyson is playing this well now.

What else matters?

I'll stay comfortable with the fact that for the rest of their careers Salem will beat Kelly in every one on one contest they have.

He was very happy to stay until at least the end of his contract, but he was going to come home at some stage.

Given injury I don't think Dom's even had a proper preseason yet. He's essentially still a second year player in terms of experience and development. Once he really builds his tank and improves his capacity to work harder defensively around the ground he'll go to another level entirely.

Given injury I don't think Dom's even had a proper preseason yet. He's essentially still a second year player in terms of experience and development. Once he really builds his tank and improves his capacity to work harder defensively around the ground he'll go to another level entirely.
Offset by the fact that teams will start tagging him.

I think this is a win-win just because GWS need, with their list, to go through absolute quality only. Tyson wasn't looking like that at GWS, Salem would be one of many outside players at GWS, whereas Kelly is as close to as certain to become a v.good player. Picking up another top 2 draftee this year will be great for them - again, they need to make every spot count considering they have already got a shitload of good kids, they just need to separate the good from the elite (think how GC have done with O'Meara, Martin, Kolodjashnij and Lonergan last 2 years - those kids are the cream of the crop so to speak, not around about top 10 maybe good maybe elite).

Meanwhile, Melbourne just needed to add good players to their squad. They got a tough mid in Tyson who has gone to a whole new level at Melbourne, with kicking long a standout feature, and they got the silk and adjustment in Salem. Melbourne are lucky/were smart they picked right and that Tyson hasn't been held back by injury so far, and so it's paid off in spades for them. 2 v.good young mids, to go with decent players in Vince + Cross, to go with Dawes in better fitness ends up in a much more pleasing 2014. Salem has shown in his short time he will be a very good footballer, but if that was the type of player around pick 9, I can understand why GWS were a little more inclined to go for pick 2 - he's good, but he's also the type of body that could have gone to water instantly in AFL (thankfully he performed instead). So while Melbourne did extremely well here with Tyson + Salem who will be 200+ players and be part of a new era for Dees, I reckon they would have been considering it a win-win as long as those 2 weren't poor players, as long as they became part of a good midfield rotation..

Don't forget they have a more experienced Viney, a no-longer-broken-foot Trengove, and hopefully a stronger Toumpas to come back in for 2015, as well as a decent system for whatever top 5-6 draftee they get this year. Good times for them.

Last edited:
Salem has shown in his short time he will be a very good footballer, but if that was the type of player around pick 9, I can understand why GWS were a little more inclined to go for pick 2 - he's good, but he's also the type of body that could have gone to water instantly in AFL (thankfully he performed instead). So why Melbourne did extremely well here with Tyson + Salem who will be 200+ players and be part of a new era for Dees, I reckon they would have been considering it a win-win as long as those 2 weren't poor players, as long as they became part of a good midfield rotation..

Salem was considered one of the strongest bodied mids in the draft, he's shown that at AFL level too.

Kelly will never have the strength Salem has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back