News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

$2mil upgrade of Williams Family Stand for AFLW - funding by state government
$5mil Port Club upgrade+Museum funded by private benefactors + Pirate Life selling The Creed Lager - buy some!!
$23mil to build the new facility, soccer pitch, demolish buildings+terraces and landscape eastern side of Alberton

$15mil of $23mil from feds. Other $8mil is private contribution plus corporates contributing. Is Murdoch contributing? Is that why he got the exclusive???

Aren't Prospect Oval and Alberton the only SANFL grounds that don't go by some godawful corporate name nowadays? Maybe there will be only one before long.

Sneaking in a bit of Black and White stripes. Coincidence?

Good to see Lauren Young in the photo, her knee all bandaged up after her ACL reco.

1637984706003.png

What the fu** is wrong with Scotty from Marketing's marketing team? In Adelaide all day, down at Alberton, middle of the day and no cameras there for 6pm and 7pm new services. No press/media release on his official website, nothing on his twitter account.

Nothing on Port's website, nothing on Port's twitter account, nothing on Koch's twitter account. What's going on??

Does he think giving Murdoch an exclusive will help him in a few months time?? You'd think with all the bad PR lately, including backbench revolt over legislation and philosophical issues, he would want all the good PR he could get in as wide a spread across the media.

I was expecting this announcement next year closer to the election, but the deal on funding must have been done awhile back, that within a short number of days/week of council granting approval the feds would make an announcement granting the monies. I know we were hoping for approval to be granted between June and August, but Seventh Avenue residents protesting pushed that back a few months.

The feds cash splash that started 3 years ago on pro clubs and pro sports getting funding for women's teams facilities and community functions meant we weren't going to miss out on the standard $15mil they have been handing out. Thanks for the funding ScoMo, but you're still, the liar from the shire.

Never good to push politics in a sports club, like religion, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Respect.

What the fu** is wrong with Scotty from Marketing's marketing team? In Adelaide all day, down at Alberton, middle of the day and no cameras there for 6pm and 7pm new services. No press/media release on his official website, nothing on his twitter account.

Nothing on Port's website, nothing on Port's twitter account, nothing on Koch's twitter account. What's going on??

Does he think giving Murdoch an exclusive will help him in a few months time?? You'd think with all the bad PR lately, including backbench revolt over legislation and philosophical issues, he would want all the good PR he could get in as wide a spread across the media.

I was expecting this announcement next year closer to the election, but the deal on funding must have been done awhile back, that within a short number of days/week of council granting approval the feds would make an announcement granting the monies. I know we were hoping for approval to be granted between June and August, but Seventh Avenue residents protesting pushed that back a few months.

The feds cash splash that started 3 years ago on pro clubs and pro sports getting funding for women's teams facilities and community functions meant we weren't going to miss out on the standard $15mil they have been handing out. Thanks for the funding ScoMo, but you're still, the liar from the shire.
Maybe he's just smart enough to know that Port supporters will see it anyway and it is better to keep it out of sight of the casual Crows fan.

Never good to push politics in a sports club, like religion, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Respect.
Irrelevant.

Everytime the feds have contributed they have made a big song and dance about it with cameras rolling. Abbott and Bishop at WCE, Abbott at Freo, Frydenberg at Carlton, Frydenberg and Senator Mckenzie at the Swans, Howard at the Bulldogs, Costello at Kardinia Park spring to mind immediately. Morrison made a cash splash and TV lights camera action in March 2019 for the $15mil grant to Richmond in the lead up to the last election.

What has changed?

Last edited:
Pirate Park
Pirate Life Park Alberton,

gets the sponsors name in and keeps part of old name in so that people don't say things like where the hell is bloody Mazada Stadium or My Money House Oval.

Probably would also get council approval if you leave in Alberton.

Maybe he's just smart enough to know that Port supporters will see it anyway and it is better to keep it out of sight of the casual Crows fan.
Senator Simon Birmingham has played a big part in the negotiations. Richo is close to the Premier who is close to Birmo - head of the government in the senate and #4 or 5 in the government, so maybe it was Birmo's call. he's a crowie.

Scotty from Marketing would have hated it though.

I dislike Morrison as much as the next guy but getting the sitting Liberal PM to Alberton for an announcement in a seat that won't be held by the Liberals in his lifetime is a good get from Koch.

If Kim Jong-un rocked up to Alberton with a $15 million grant I would be more than happy to take it.

If Kim Jong-un rocked up to Alberton with a $15 million grant I would be more than happy to take it.
Now that would give us plenty of world wide publicity and make the 6pm and 7pm news!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just want to say 4 words that haven't been on this forum for a very long time

Well done David Koch.
Yes well done, but I reckon this has been driven by Richo and backed up by Koch and the board.

Remember the 2018 announcement by Koch and KT of Version 1.0 - just before the state election in 2018 and tying themselves in to Weatherill getting back in and Xenophon having a say in the balance of power to get the funding.

Richo is close to Marshall who is close to Birmingham.

The Crows were first on his list, however the deal fell through. "We can't in good conscience deal with an institution that exercises so much control over propaganda in the media", said a Pyongyang official.

Yes well done, but I reckon this has been driven by Richo and backed up by Koch and the board.

Remember the 2018 announcement by Koch and KT of Version 1.0 - just before the state election in 2018 and tying themselves in to Weatherill getting back in and Xenophon having a say in the balance of power to get the funding.

Richo is close to Marshall who is close to Birmingham.
That announcement in March 2018, as you know, was motivated not just by the state election but because KT and AH had just returned from Beijing where they were given the nod by State Grid Corporation of China on a A$20 million grant.
KT and others, including his China advisors in Melbourne and Hong Kong, had been working on it since early 2015. AH describes in ’Port Adelaide to Shanghai’ the drastic effect the Trump/Bannon + Murdoch/ Joyce/ScoMo/Dutton anti-China anti-Turnbull paradigm shift had on the Club, considering the effort that had been put in behind the scenes on what was thought to be an ‘impossible’ endeavour in normal circumstances, yet proved highly possible … in normal circumstances.

Page 72/73, ‘Port Adelaide to Shanghai’ by Andrew Hunter, published November 2020 by Wakefield Press.):
As we focused on our big event two days later, an event transpired, I have been reliably informed, within the confines of Parliament House that would affect the Turnbull Government’s relationship with China. According to this account, the Australian Government had, prior to Li’s arrival, agreed that Turnbull and Li would sign an MoU during the state visit, regarding its participation in the Belt and Road Initiative. Following the lunch held in the Premier’s honour at Parliament House on 23 March, a meeting took place between Turnbull and Barnaby Joyce, then leader of the National Party and Deputy Prime Minister. The full Cabinet was not present, according to this account, but a tense discussion ensued, during which it was decided Australia would ask to remove this signing and announcement from the program.

Australia would have been the first Western country to agree to participate in BRI. At the time of writing, BRI remains a divisive issue in Australia, with Victoria a target for those who see it as antithetical to the national interest, It remains interesting, in retrospect, to consider the apparent incoherence within government at the time. If the account was accurate, the government’s reversal would have caused the Chinese Premier embarrassment. This alleged incident was never made public and, on the surface, the bilateral still appeared to be in reasonable shape at the time. But by the end of the year, it had deteriorated substantially. And further deterioration would follow.

On page 109/110 of ‘Port Adelaide to Shanghai’, Andrew Hunter writes:
In December (2017), 10 consecutive editions of our national daily newspaper (Murdoch’s ‘The Australian’) carried a negative headline about China on the front page.
… The (bilateral) tensions clearly impacted several conversations (we had) underway with SOEs. The breakdown of one discussion particularly stung … just when an incredible outcome had appeared to be within our grasp. The SOE was the biggest power corporation in the world, with 1.5 million employees internationally, it ranked second in the Fortune 500 pecking order.
… What we believed to be the largest deal in the history of the AFL, which would have delivered a modern, world-class training facility to the Alberton Oval Precinct, was an unrealised vision.

I’ve covered this in greater depth and more broadly in part 4 of my ‘1971 Whitlam / China’ thread.

2018 was the year of the singular Joint Major Sponsor. KT needed the win with State Grid to save his job. The board had turned impatient and small-minded, some directors xenophobic even.

I’m so happy that perseverence has at last turned it all around and produced the goods. KT will be delighted. He was the only one at Alberton in 2015 who could visualise the end result.

That announcement in March 2018, as you know, was motivated not just by the state election but because KT and AH had just returned from Beijing where they were given the nod by State Grid Corporation of China on a A$20 million grant.
KT and others, including his China advisors in Melbourne and Hong Kong, had been working on it since early 2015. AH describes in ’Port Adelaide to Shanghai’ the drastic effect the Trump/Bannon + Murdoch/ Joyce/ScoMo/Dutton anti-China anti-Turnbull paradigm shift had on the Club, considering the effort that had been put in behind the scenes on what was thought to be an ‘impossible’ endeavour in normal circumstances, yet proved highly possible … in normal circumstances.

Page 72/73, ‘Port Adelaide to Shanghai’ by Andrew Hunter, published November 2020 by Wakefield Press.):
As we focused on our big event two days later, an event transpired, I have been reliably informed, within the confines of Parliament House that would affect the Turnbull Government’s relationship with China. According to this account, the Australian Government had, prior to Li’s arrival, agreed that Turnbull and Li would sign an MoU during the state visit, regarding its participation in the Belt and Road Initiative. Following the lunch held in the Premier’s honour at Parliament House on 23 March, a meeting took place between Turnbull and Barnaby Joyce, then leader of the National Party and Deputy Prime Minister. The full Cabinet was not present, according to this account, but a tense discussion ensued, during which it was decided Australia would ask to remove this signing and announcement from the program.

Australia would have been the first Western country to agree to participate in BRI. At the time of writing, BRI remains a divisive issue in Australia, with Victoria a target for those who see it as antithetical to the national interest, It remains interesting, in retrospect, to consider the apparent incoherence within government at the time. If the account was accurate, the government’s reversal would have caused the Chinese Premier embarrassment. This alleged incident was never made public and, on the surface, the bilateral still appeared to be in reasonable shape at the time. But by the end of the year, it had deteriorated substantially. And further deterioration would follow.

On page 109/110 of ‘Port Adelaide to Shanghai’, Andrew Hunter writes:
In December (2017), 10 consecutive editions of our national daily newspaper (Murdoch’s ‘The Australian’) carried a negative headline about China on the front page.
… The (bilateral) tensions clearly impacted several conversations (we had) underway with SOEs. The breakdown of one discussion particularly stung … just when an incredible outcome had appeared to be within our grasp. The SOE was the biggest power corporation in the world, with 1.5 million employees internationally, it ranked second in the Fortune 500 pecking order.
… What we believed to be the largest deal in the history of the AFL, which would have delivered a modern, world-class training facility to the Alberton Oval Precinct, was an unrealised vision.

I’ve covered this in greater depth and more broadly in part 4 of my ‘1971 Whitlam / China’ thread.

2018 was the year of the singular Joint Major Sponsor. KT needed the win with State Grid to save his job. The board had turned impatient and small-minded, some directors xenophobic even.

I’m so happy that perseverence has at last turned it all around and produced the goods. KT will be delighted. He was the only one at Alberton in 2015 who could visualise the end result.

I thought State Grid had pulled out by Christmas 2017, about 6 weeks after Turnbull famously quoted Mao back to the Chinese and pissed them off, and we had to change tack and push for majority government funding in the announcement that started this thread in early March 2018, in the lead up to the state election. My memory of sequence of events is obviously incorrect.

I thought State Grid had pulled out by Christmas 2017, about 6 weeks after Turnbull famously quoted Mao back to the Chinese and pissed them off, and we had to change tack and push for majority government funding in the announcement that started this thread in early March 2018, in the lead up to the state election. My memory of sequence of events is obviously incorrect.
State Grid have still yet to ‘pull out’. We remain in touch with them via ElectraNet, 46% of whom they own.

Never, ever give up.

How funny that we get our funding years after the Rabble got theirs and yet our new facilities will be up and running years ahead
You can't beat those Parkland freaks. If they weren't so dopey to think they could, they would have started somewhere else by now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back