AFLW Port Adelaide vs Essendon - Round 10 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

There is absolutely no discernible direction or strategy associated with how me move the ball. None. We don't even try to move it quickly or deliberately. I would accept some trial and error but there is no trial. I haven't been able to identify any improvement or growth.

We have a core of good senior players - arguably to the equal of Essendon and probably better than Hawthorn. We should have performed better this year. The expectations would have been to perform better.

I certainly think we started the season better than we finished it. Although we lost the first couple of games we had more system in these games and they were watchable. We reached our peak in the game against Sydney and from then on it was downhill. The Showdown was an embarrassment, that game against Hawthorn was the worst I have ever seen and today's game was only marginally better.

I appreciate that we were behind the eight ball in terms of preparation but you are right there was little system and many of our players lack basic skills. As I have posted previously there are reasons for the low skill levels and ways of fixing the problem.

I did a scan through our list and I reckon half are keeps and the rest are expendable. We probably won't cull half the squad in the off season but we could. On top of that I am not entirely convinced that the Coach is the right person for the job but I guess she deserves another crack at it. In any case given Koch's record Lauren is probably only one year into a ten year tenure!!!

There is absolutely no discernible direction or strategy associated with how me move the ball. None. We don't even try to move it quickly or deliberately. I would accept some trial and error but there is no trial. I haven't been able to identify any improvement or growth.

We have a core of good senior players - arguably to the equal of Essendon and probably better than Hawthorn. We should have performed better this year. The expectations would have been to perform better.
Im frustrated we didnt improve but Gemma Houghton missing 5 games after the Bulldogs game and Erin playing with a bad knee, and not being able to move like the Erin we thought we were getting until the last couple of games, means our key experienced players couldnt contribute like we thought they would. I thought with those two firing we could win 4 games this year.

No Liz McGrath in ruck meant we were another important player down after Rd 3 and Levicki struggles to have a presence around the ground like McGrath.

The frustrating thing is that we didnt learn from some of the mistakes we made - not the skill mistakes, but the decision making mistakes.

We will be better after a proper preseaon. The girls we drafted need to do a proper preseason. 2 or 3 dont turn 18 until November and a couple turned 18 after we drafted them.

As much as I enjoyed having a women’s team for the first time, going to all our games in Melbourne and cheering and supporting these girls, I would have happily waited until Jan-Feb 2023 for our first season.

At least that would have allowed us more time to plan, train, get to know each other etc.

We really got dealt a tough blow when they moved the season start to August. Hopefully the girls learnt plenty of lessons this year and improve next year.

I am happy to cut the team and coaches some slack being their first season and the short lead into the season.

Hopefully Erin can go around one more year.

Its quite clear the intent was get as many players as possible on the field over the course of the season, to see just what we have, and just what we need.
Totally agree with that, but it is also unsettling. The outcome was unsurprising when cast in that light.
I would have liked to have seen a little more of Duursma, if only to see whether the bro-sis combo was a goer! Injured??

As much as I enjoyed having a women’s team for the first time, going to all our games in Melbourne and cheering and supporting these girls, I would have happily waited until Jan-Feb 2023 for our first season.

At least that would have allowed us more time to plan, train, get to know each other etc.

We really got dealt a tough blow when they moved the season start to August. Hopefully the girls learnt plenty of lessons this year and improve next year.

And it's not surprising that Essendon and Hawthorn were the best performed of the 4 new teams, given that they'd both been well established in the VFLW.

I haven’t bothered watching a single minute of the last 4 games or so since the thumping the crows gave them, I thought I’d get interested with port playing but they’ve just been too terrible to watch and to be frank as the season wore on I couldn’t give a s**t.

The comp has a long way to go in my opinion.

It almost annoys me when the aflw is on instead of an old classic game on fox footy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hawthorn and especially Essendon attracted far more established talent than we did, which is unsurprising given they are in Victoria and had more teams to raid. The only two big names we signed were Phillips (who is 37) and Houghton (who missed most of the season). The rest of the squad are experienced foot soldiers and a stack of late teens/early 20s girls who mostly aren't ready to mix it with the best.

Who knows where the B&F votes fall in such a short season but all of Ewings, Tahau and Dowrick could be considered in contention ... and they're all teenagers. Says a lot about how green our list is and how much work there is to be done.

Port and Sydney didn't have a "local league" team for 2 seasons like Essendon and Hawks and finished 17th and 18th respectively.

Essendon had a VFLW team in 2022, finished minor premiers and won the flag, 12 teams and 14 minor round games.
2021 finished 5th and lost EF, 12 teams and 14 minor round games.
2020 was cancelled,
2019 finished 9th, 12 teams and 14 minor round games.
2018 finished bottom of 13 teams inc NT and 14 games.
AFLW 2022 they finished 10th, 4 wins. Wins against Rd 1 Hawthorn, Rd 3 WCE, Rd 8 Sydney, Rd 10 Port
Got Close in Rd 2 v Carlton lost by 1 pt, and Rd 4 v Richmond lost by 2 pts

Hawthorn had a VFLW team in 2022 finished 2nd, top 6 finals, lost QF to Ess then knocked out in SF. 12 teams and 14 minor round games.
2021 finished 9th, 12 teams and 14 minor round games.
2020 was cancelled,
2019 finished 7th, 12 teams and 14 minor round games.
2018 finished 2nd and won flag, 13 teams inc NT and 14 games
AFLW 2022 finished 15th with 3 wins (edit GWS beat GC they moved to 14th) Wins against Rd 5 Sydney, Rd 6 WCE, Rd 7 Port
Got Close in Rd 8 v GWS lost by 1 pt, and Rd 10 v Freo lost by 5pts.

We were pretty good in most of the first 5 games, but had 1 bad quarter in all games bar the Sydney game, smashed by the crows in Rd 6, ok against Hawks in Rd 7, a good half in Rd 8 v NM but ran out of legs, poor skills against St Kilda Rd 9 meant we couldn't win it but got close, and very disappointing today against Essendon.

Sydney did better against Hawthorn and Essendon than us, losing by 4pts to both and were robbed by the goal umpire against Essendon. These were the swans only losses by less than less than 14 pts.

We lost to Hawthorn by 13pts, with rat s**t goal kicking and Essendon today by 27pts. Our close games were the draw v Carlton and loss to Saints last week by 2 pts.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

her saving grace is she is 18yrs old so we will see how she goes next year

one of the players we missed out on that maybe we should have drafted was Keeley Kustermann (who went to the cows with their 1st pick)

in the future we will be comparing both

ATM

Goodwin 4 games v Kustermann 1 game
18yrs v 18yrs
attacking Def v med Fwd
4 games v 1 game
I though Goodwin was always rated better than kustermann?
We went with Duursma over Kustermann

I haven’t bothered watching a single minute of the last 4 games or so since the thumping the crows gave them, I thought I’d get interested with port playing but they’ve just been too terrible to watch and to be frank as the season wore on I couldn’t give a s**t.

The comp has a long way to go in my opinion.

It almost annoys me when the aflw is on instead of an old classic game on fox footy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
SAFA games on tv in the old days was more interesting.
I can’t see how anyone could sit there and seriously watch this unless they had a relative playing.

I can’t see how anyone could sit there and seriously watch this unless they had a relative playing.

Probably because some people actually want to see a pathway for women and girls to play the game and a key part of that is having a peak level of competition to aspire to and role models to look up to. Supporting this competition is supporting women and girls playing the game, it's easy to see why people would want to do that.

Early days yet obviously but regardless that game yesterday was beyond atrocious, and unless the standard of college and high school footy has fallen through the floor any half decent under 16 boy's line up would have kicked both teams off the park.

Hopefully with a proper pre-season and some more maturity the Power team will improve significantly, but it will need to because crowds could drop off at 100 mph if there is another season of yesterday's unwatchable rubbish.

Re the preseason bit, it should help with improving fitness and therefore the ability to run games out better but I doubt it will do much for the lack of structure, which appears to me to be a combo of game plan and too many unskilled players who leave their opponent and chase the ball allowing the oppo to set up way too easily.

It's not rocket science, but the lack of cover in the centre and on the wings regularly resulting in a score to the opposition has stood out like a beacon to me.

Early days yet obviously but regardless that game yesterday was beyond atrocious, and unless the standard of college and high school footy has fallen through the floor any half decent under 16 boy's line up would have kicked both teams off the park.

Hopefully with a proper pre-season and some more maturity the Power team will improve significantly, but it will need to because crowds could drop off at 100 mph if there is another season of yesterday's unwatchable rubbish.

Re the preseason bit, it should help with improving fitness and therefore the ability to run games out better but I doubt it will do much for the lack of structure, which appears to me to be a combo of game plan and too many unskilled players who leave their opponent and chase the ball allowing the oppo to set up way too easily.

It's not rocket science, but the lack of cover in the centre and on the wings regularly resulting in a score to the opposition has stood out like a beacon to me.
Someone who knows a bit about footy and accountability. You are spot on midfielders and particularly wingman that refuse to two way run are a liability. Unfortunately we have a number of those and this will need addressing in the off season.

Probably because some people actually want to see a pathway for women and girls to play the game and a key part of that is having a peak level of competition to aspire to and role models to look up to. Supporting this competition is supporting women and girls playing the game, it's easy to see why people would want to do that.
I don’t watch any sport based on gender.
In fact any watching of TV these days has to have something that appeals to me before I’ll even consider turning it on.
I don’t see it as woman’s or men’s sport if it has a certain level people will watch.
From what I’ve seen I’ve got better things to do.

Someone who knows a bit about footy and accountability. You are spot on midfielders and particularly wingman that refuse to two way run are a liability. Unfortunately we have a number of those and this will need addressing in the off season.

Arnell hinted very strongly in her post match that our players don't yet have the fitness to execute the game plan but that she (in her words) 'bullishly' pushed ahead with it anyway. Probably explains some of the times when we looked very disorganised defensively.

FFS, Williamson gives Maria Moloney a big don't argue, Maloney brilliantly stays balanced and grabs Williamson's arm and Williamson loses balance and falls, Maloney hangs on because there is a chance to get holding the ball and Maloney has to hold on until she hears a whistle for holding the ball, which doesn't happen until she hits the ground.

The umpire paid a holding the ball free to Maloney.

What else are you supposed to do? The game isn't let an opponent get out of a tackle because an accident might happen.

This situation is exactly why every footballer, male or female, should know how to do a drop kick and why umpires should be taught what one is so when it happens, they dont piss their pants.

1667206875356.png

1667206913741.png

Still trying to break the tackle. If she knew how to do a drop kick, it would have been the right time to do one.

1667207016384.png

1667207100849.png

1667207188027.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back