Game Day Port Adelaide vs Port Adelaide @ Alberton Oval, Friday 17 February 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Sitting back reading comments re:lobbe stinks of hypocrisy.

While ive been one of his harshest critics for at least two years, i think he is set for a best season this year. Whether that is good enough i dont know, but hs is definitely a better player than we have seen for some time.

Why hypocrisy? Because Lobbe was rated by many as BOG on friday. Apparently played quite well. We all also know he has been carrying injuries the past two seasons with him even missing most of last. Family day games are known for s**t skills, players dusting off the cob webs. So why isnt lobbe afforded this luxury too? He played at a certain level on friday, maybe that too was him dusting off cobweb and his ceiling is much higher this year.

He certainly lost a lot of credits over the past two years. But as far as i'm concerned, its a new year. Its game on for each and every player on the list. Cos realty is that if its not, then the gold passes are still relevant.

Neade experiment over. His engine too small. Young a much better upgrade

as with Lobbe, it aint over until he is delisted. Lets hope he has a cracker of a year.

Im happy to sit back and talk about how rubbish a guys game was, or even season so far. But DBJ has taught me many things about writing a guy off completely.

When the club itself says that "all our half forwards had a quiet day" and Young kicks four goals - what does that tell you about the position he is playing?

I'm dumb - what is it telling us?

That maybe he's not playing half forward - so he's not replacing Neade and Sam Gray was? I don't know, it just seems obvious to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Was in the stands watching this footrace between Hammer and White. The ball was near half forward/the boundary line. White was slightly ahead of Hartlett at CHF. They both ran for the ball and Hammer outpaced him by a fair margin. White was too slow to even get near him to make a tackle as well.

He looked cooked. Reminded me of Broadbent (vs Sydney I think?).
2017%20PAFC%20Family%20Day%20Pics%20045.jpg

Thats the problem with age and having one string. Whitey has about 3 weeks to find the Pace or Reinvent himself to something useful.

While ive been one of his harshest critics for at least two years, i think he is set for a best season this year. Whether that is good enough i dont know, but hs is definitely a better player than we have seen for some time.

Why hypocrisy? Because Lobbe was rated by many as BOG on friday. Apparently played quite well. We all also know he has been carrying injuries the past two seasons with him even missing most of last. Family day games are known for s**t skills, players dusting off the cob webs. So why isnt lobbe afforded this luxury too? He played at a certain level on friday, maybe that too was him dusting off cobweb and his ceiling is much higher this year.

He certainly lost a lot of credits over the past two years. But as far as i'm concerned, its a new year. Its game on for each and every player on the list. Cos realty is that if its not, then the gold passes are still relevant.

lol miss feel was hilarious at family day. Every time Lobbe did something good, or I praised him, she was like "No. He's s**t. I hate him. Watch, watch, Frampton will beat him here. *Lobbe beats Frampton*, HE'S STILL s**t!"

lol miss feel was hilarious at family day. Every time Lobbe did something good, or I praised him, she was like "No. He's s**t. I hate him. Watch, watch, Frampton will beat him here. *Lobbe beats Frampton*, HE'S STILL s**t!"

Miss P had similar feelings towards O'Shea. If you heard her speak about him but didn't know who he was you'd just assume that his first name was 'F@#king'

That maybe he's not playing half forward - so he's not replacing Neade and Sam Gray was? I don't know, it just seems obvious to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
Coaches review every player in the trial game

Aaron Young

We tried him in a different role today and he played really well – he kicked four goals. All our forwards have a couple of little things we need to touch up on in terms of our systems, but overall, he played really well."

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-02-17/reviews-every-player-from-the-trial

Miss P had similar feelings towards O'Shea. If you heard her speak about him but didn't know who he was you'd just assume that his first name was 'F@#king'

I just used to yell "FRIDGE!" enthusiastically every time he got the ball. I'll miss doing that.

Was in the stands watching this footrace between Hammer and White. The ball was near half forward/the boundary line. White was slightly ahead of Hartlett at CHF. They both ran for the ball and Hammer outpaced him by a fair margin. White was too slow to even get near him to make a tackle as well.

Hard to know how much to take from these sort of races mid-game though, White could've just done a 10 min stint with some heavy running and Hammer could be fresh off a spell on the bench. However I do agree and have been saying since early in the preseason that White looks like he's eaten too much pudding at Christmas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobbe beating Ryder is more a concerning sign about Ryder's return from a non-professional fitness regime than anything.

2017%20PAFC%20Family%20Day%20Pics%20045.jpg
Hopefully it's a fitness mending out the kinks issue not a I have totally lost my most damaging weapon type of issue.

Coaches review every player in the trial game

Aaron Young

We tried him in a different role today and he played really well – he kicked four goals. All our forwards have a couple of little things we need to touch up on in terms of our systems, but overall, he played really well."

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-02-17/reviews-every-player-from-the-trial

Yeah?

Jake Neade
All our high forwards were a bit quiet today – just in the conditions. He always offers, he runs in the right patterns - he did most of that right today.

You were saying?

I failed to see one occasion when Lobbe actually beat Ryder. I think Feel is taking the piss.
yeah i agree
im either blind or Ryder and Lobbe swapped bodies
Ryder while scratchy was still all over Lobbes from what i saw
Lobbe played better once Ryder went off

Regardless of the opinions on Lobbe, he'll certainly be a dominant SANFL ruckman this year and the Magpie onballers are going to benefit greatly from that. It hopefully will fast track the development of Atley, Drew, etc.

Lobbe was rated by many as BOG on friday. Apparently played quite well.
Look tbh Lobbe was not BOG. We, myself incl, were pleased and surprised to see him take some marks (2 were regulation chest marks
uncontested from short passes). He played ok which for Lobbes is pretty good. It's harsh but true imo. I've nothing against him
personally but if we're fair dinkum he is now depth. He had currency 2yrs ago when allegedly the Bullies were prepared to pay
overs for him. That window has closed and now we need to be realistic.

Lobbe beating Ryder is more a concerning sign about Ryder's return from a non-professional fitness regime than anything.
Lobbe did not beat Ryder in the ruck, not even close. Ryder out tapped him every time. Lobbe might have done more around the ground, but Ryder killed him in actual ruckwork. Do not believe everything you read on here. Some people believe what they want to believe.

As Matthew Lobbe's official 2017 buddy, I am seizing this post, editing it, and re-posting it without credit.

Let me just say, I am disgusted by the comments about Matthew Lobbe. It stinks of hypocrisy.

While I have never personally criticised Lobbe - at times throughout 2015, supporting him over the less skilled, less versatile, but more popular Ryder - I believe the forthcoming season will be his best. He will be ascend to become one of the competition's top ruckman, second only to Max Gawn. He had better watch out, though.

Why hypocrisy, though? Because Lobbe was rated the best, most consistent, and most skilled player at our club, by those lucky enough to witness his heroics last Friday eve. He played one of the greatest, if not the greatest game by any Port Adelaide Football Club player in history. We all know he has battled manfully through injuries over the past two seasons, kept out of the side late last year only because of needless mothering from our coaches.

Family day games are renowned for terrible skills and rusty gameplay, yet Lobbe had the composure of a grand finallist. Why are people being so critical? Can you not recognise brilliance when you see it?

He has been our rock over the past two years, despite his forced sitting out. As far as I am concerned, he has another year of mastery ahead of him. It is game on for every player on our list (except Lobbe, who is already at the top of his game). Anyone selected ahead of him has been gifted a gold pass, and our team will be severely worse off for it.

XR579AX.jpg

Look tbh Lobbe was not BOG. We, myself incl, were pleased and surprised to see him take some marks (2 were regulation chest marks
uncontested from short passes). He played ok which for Lobbes is pretty good. It's harsh but true imo. I've nothing against him
personally but if we're fair dinkum he is now depth. He had currency 2yrs ago when allegedly the Bullies were prepared to pay
overs for him. That window has closed and now we need to be realistic.
If he was ever going to take the next step it is now I guess. 28 years old it's now or never.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back