Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

“You put a lot of time and effort and endeavour into the game … we had 69 tackles and I don’t think we had a free kick from a tackle,” he said. “69 tackles and not one of them can be adjudicated holding the ball. What’s happened to our game? You can’t have that many tackles and not one of them be incorrect disposal. You wonder why the game is an arm-wrestle and you can’t get any open footy.

But he said he wasn’t going to bring it up directly with the AFL.

“They’ll listen to this press conference no doubt and hopefully they hear it loud and clear,” he said. “The scores, the AFL can’t be happy can they.

“Footy can’t be played in the manner that we liked when it’s being adjudicated in the way it is in the present time, and it’s not the umps’ fault,” he said. “The umps are just doing what they’re told to do but I think our game across the board is not seeing the exciting brand of footy, passages of play, there are hardly any goals being scored — fans love goals, love high marks — but we’re just not seeing anywhere near enough.

Dal Santo said he believes coaches need to take responsibility in how they coach the game.

#freekickhawthorn It's all the games fault not the coaches for their gamestyle.
I guess #freekickhawthorn will be back in vogue

“You put a lot of time and effort and endeavour into the game … we had 69 tackles and I don’t think we had a free kick from a tackle,” he said. “69 tackles and not one of them can be adjudicated holding the ball. What’s happened to our game? You can’t have that many tackles and not one of them be incorrect disposal. You wonder why the game is an arm-wrestle and you can’t get any open footy.

But he said he wasn’t going to bring it up directly with the AFL.

“They’ll listen to this press conference no doubt and hopefully they hear it loud and clear,” he said. “The scores, the AFL can’t be happy can they.

“Footy can’t be played in the manner that we liked when it’s being adjudicated in the way it is in the present time, and it’s not the umps’ fault,” he said. “The umps are just doing what they’re told to do but I think our game across the board is not seeing the exciting brand of footy, passages of play, there are hardly any goals being scored — fans love goals, love high marks — but we’re just not seeing anywhere near enough.

Dal Santo said he believes coaches need to take responsibility in how they coach the game.

#freekickhawthorn It's all the games fault not the coaches for their gamestyle.
Clarkson pulled this out well to get everyone to gloss over the fact Hawthorn basically choked on a 5 goal lead.

Usual Clarkson stuff. Wants more #freekickhawthorn and the reaction as usual will be exactly that. The state of the game is diabolical because we are not getting enough free kicks. Hate to be playing them this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarkson is a genius, watch him get some kind of response that favours Hawthorn from the AFL bending over in the mid to long term.
This.

All he wants is a change to the rule interpretations that favour the Hawks.

The Hawks are not good at getting first hands on the ball so of course Clarko wants it to be easier to get it back.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
If you start paying incorrect disposal every time someone drops the ball in a tackle without prior, footy will return to 2005 Sydney under Roos style rolling maul.

It will be uglier than ever, because players will favour ball retention over trying to get a disposal away. So you'll either have stoppagefests or 80 free kicks a game.

Holding the ball is about prior opportunity and always should be. Nobody should ever be penalised for trying to move the ball on if they haven't had prior opportunity. "Reward the tackler" is bullshit. Free kicks aren't about a reward, they are about punishing an infringement.

If you start paying incorrect disposal every time someone drops the ball in a tackle without prior, footy will return to 2005 Sydney under Roos style rolling maul.

It will be uglier than ever, because players will favour ball retention over trying to get a disposal away. So you'll either have stoppagefests or 80 free kicks a game.

Holding the ball is about prior opportunity and always should be. Nobody should ever be penalised for trying to move the ball on if they haven't had prior opportunity. "Reward the tackler" is bullshit. Free kicks aren't about a reward, they are about punishing an infringement.

You always need to think about complementary rules to counter unintended consequences of rule changes. So things like 20 metres for a mark rather than 15 or no mark for backwards kicks would counter those problems.

The number one priority needs to be reducing stoppages. They're a scourge on the game.

You always need to think about complementary rules to counter unintended consequences of rule changes. So things like 20 metres for a mark rather than 15 or no mark for backwards kicks would counter those problems.

The number one priority needs to be reducing stoppages. They're a scourge on the game.

What if, and hear me out, what if we allowed someone else other than a ruckman to jump at a ball up/throw in and smash it clear of the pack to reduce the congestion?

If Clarkson is saying that a free kick for incorrect disposal when a player is tackled is not being paid often enough, then I agree with him.

It has been my biggest gripe with the umpiring when watching Port games in recent years.
I reckon it’s changed noticeably from last year. They’re definitely not rewarding the tackler anywhere near as much as previous years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back