Review Power v Blues - Bye Bye Sweet 13

Remove this Banner Ad

What exactly do you expect him to say?

Lay into the team after a 13 game winning streak comes to an end?
Not going to listen to press but agree you can't bag a team that's pulled off that many consecutive wins, often in gutsy circumstances. The problem with Ken is his lack of providing technical reasons after losses. He just reels out the same BS that anyone off the street could.

Some ridiculous reactions really I feel like I'm reading the Crows board.
Some reactions are warranted though.
We’ve won against every team that Carlton has lost convincingly to since round 4.
A piss poor effort considering we’re currently sitting second on the ladder with a tough run into the finals.
Call them Injuries or rotations, it shouldn’t be an excuse losing by 50 points, as Carlton have there fair share too.
We’ve all seen this movie before, like a buckled wheel in a Chevy Chase National Lampoons Vacation. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes us another 3 or 4 kicks up the A-Hole to find our winning form again.
IMG_9623.gif

If McKenzie doesn't come up, I can see Hinkley backing in Jonas again.

He absolutely will. He will put it down to Jonas not being up to speed because he had faffed around in the sanfl for 2 months. Not because he's just not up to speed any more.

TBH Pasini has not been up to scratch this year, has improved over the past few weeks, but surely wouldn't have caused as much havoc back there as Jonas? Maybe would have lifted his game with experienced players around him, like many young players do?

the battery sign went up and was held up for 4 minutes about the 15 minute mark.

I'd like to know why we were all in the red zone so early. instruction or chasing?

at quarter time the players had their own huddle and conversation before Ken addressed them

after motlop got 4 goals out of his arse, a few minutes later the bizarre scene of Ken on the boundary line sending burgoyne on who then ran on and moved williams and jonas around to address motlop, and then seeing them reshuffle again a few seconds later was odd in the least

Houston covered extreme ground. incredible game..

I'm confused about a lot of what happened out there
Cracks appearing in the 'interesting' coaching set up? Hope not coz that will derail us totally.

We need 2 key position defenders. Aliir and one other.

And no, Burton and Bergman are not key position defenders.

Aliir, McKenzie, Clurey, Jonas and Pasini are the ones on our list. Two need to play most games for structure purposes.
And most of these are undersized height wise. Been a long term problem.

I feel we will regret the selections and the resulting loss

It might be the difference between second and third this year, which is the difference of having a chance of a GF berth and an early trip to bali
We got seriously lucky with Melb getting over Brisbane, otherwise this would have cost us top 2.
Still need to win 2 of the next 3 if we want top 2.

Oddly enough I’m more confident about next week after a big humiliating loss than if we’d brought the margin back or even won by less than a kick. We cannot dish that up against the Pies and the club knows that.

While the backs were awful, the game was lost in the midfield. So many 50/50 balls conceded, and the ones we did win led to shocking forward 50 entries. Completely unlike what we’ve seen over the last three months.

Expecting a completely different team to come out and play next week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They have tried, Skinner came in and out. Tried had to get Rutogolea. Think there was one other as well.

Skinner was never a realistic option to play regular games. Ratugolea was an afterthought because the priorities were to get Rioli and JHF - which I understand. I thought the Ratugolea trade would get done with the 2nd round pick but Geelong were unreasonably stubborn to a fault. See what happens again this off-season.

It needs to be addressed. Clurey is done yet still has 2 years left on his deal that will see him wasting away in the Maggies. Jonas will be moved on at the end of this season. McKenzie is getting older, and Aliir isn't a shutdown guy.

I'll be shocked if they don't go hard for a shutdown KPD this off-season. I think Ratugolea will be the guy. Makes it difficult though not having a first round pick to use in any trade so Cripps is going to have to get a bit creative.

Oddly enough I’m more confident about next week after a big humiliating loss than if we’d brought the margin back or even won by less than a kick. We cannot dish that up against the Pies and the club knows that.

While the backs were awful, the game was lost in the midfield. So many 50/50 balls conceded, and the ones we did win led to shocking forward 50 entries. Completely unlike what we’ve seen over the last three months.

Expecting a completely different team to come out and play next week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Unless Butters and JHF play against Collingwood and play rippers, we aren't getting a different result than the one we got yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said before the game that if we lose it’ll be because we didn’t bring the pressure and method we normally do.

We didn’t bring the pressure and method we normally do, and we made a team that was just displaying standard AFL pressure look like they were fantastic. Once you let Carlton get on a run they can score heavily.

We were just off on every line. The only positive you can take from it is that the players still kept persisting even though nothing was going right.

Unless Butters and JHF play against Collingwood and play rippers, we aren't getting a different result than the one we got yesterday.
Bassett said before the game that Horne-Francis could have played if we had wanted him to, but they wanted to inject speed around the ball and it was a good time to manage him.

It’s no surprise that what we got was a Port 2022 performance when the main point of difference - the guy who creates the space that Butters and Rozee can exploit - is missing.

Bassett said before the game that Horne-Francis could have played if we had wanted him to, but they wanted to inject speed around the ball and it was a good time to manage him.

It’s no surprise that what we got was a Port 2022 performance when the main point of difference - the guy who creates the space that Butters and Rozee can exploit - is missing.
Exactly

Probably the most concerning thing was how brittle our defence looked and how lame our forward line looked without 31 year old Trent McKenzie and 32 year old Charlie Dixon respectively. Everyone raves about the midfield but the whole spine is held together by a pair of over 30 ex Gold Coast SUNS that get injured regularly and can't have too much football left in them. It's very worrying.
Spot on. There is currently no-one to take over from either. And add in our woeful ruck situation. It's going to cost us a flag if we don't rectify these weaknesses in the near future. We have done very well this year given our obvious weaknesses.

I know he made a few bad turnovers but I thought it was a reasonable return from Duursma given the shitshow performance of the team as a whole. 22 disposals and 8 marks. He was far from our worst.
Disposal was putrid, made a few mistakes but I do agree - he moved well and got the ball etc.

Hard to come in from an extended break when the rest of the team is also off it's game.

Definitely stays in

I thought it was Jones who let Motlop kick all those goals.

He has several issues in his game, one of which is him going up to spoil or mark as the third man and then completely missing the ball. And then whoever he is playing on has a free path to a goal.

He just makes so many very simple mistakes for a guy who has played a bit of AFL football now.
Defintely lacks footy IQ. Always concerned when he's near it. The opposite of solid & reliable.

I know he made a few bad turnovers but I thought it was a reasonable return from Duursma given the shitshow performance of the team as a whole. 22 disposals and 8 marks. He was far from our worst.

Yep and was still running hard at the end of the game as well. Only problem was he kicked it like he'd never seen a football before.

I wanted to fly kick the TV when that filthy money thief McGovern deliberately kneed boak in the back, pretty much the same spot where his tosser brother did in the preseason. Real pair assholes those brothers.

What sort of arseholes would deliberately and unnecessarily knee in the back one of the nicest blokes in footy?

Suggestions we lost the game due to selections are laughable and ill informed. We simply have s**t depth, a ruckman who is barely serviceable and came up against a white hot team on their home deck playing for their season.

Disagree we have s**t depth. That loss was purely mental, not giving a damn after 13 wins on the trot. Carlton isn't a team full of spuds. Their terrible losing streak was more psychological than anything. When confidence and motivation is down its pretty easy for a switched on team to make their opposition look B grade.

I wanted to fly kick the TV when that filthy money thief McGovern deliberately kneed boak in the back, pretty much the same spot where his tosser brother did in the preseason. Real pair assholes those brothers.

What sort of arseholes would deliberately and unnecessarily knee in the back one of the nicest blokes in footy?
He did it to Bergman as well.

Probably the most concerning thing was how brittle our defence looked and how lame our forward line looked without 31 year old Trent McKenzie and 32 year old Charlie Dixon respectively. Everyone raves about the midfield but the whole spine is held together by a pair of over 30 ex Gold Coast SUNS that get injured regularly and can't have too much football left in them. It's very worrying.

When a team's midfield gets thrashed, it always makes the forwards and defenders look ordinary and vise versa. Games are won and lost in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back