Preview Practice Match: Crows vs Port, Saturday Feb 27/2/21 @ 11am

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh I wasn't disagreeing with you. At some point we need to stop blaming coaching and accept that Chayce just might not be AFL standard. I'd say the same for Fogarty at this point.
I think this is that year.

We've got an AFL standard coaching group for the first time in 3 years.

I feel really conflicted about our recruiters. I was ready to throw Hamish to the wolves but the early signs are that the 2020 draft has been a good one for us.

I don't think you can argue that he was poorly coached in his first 2 seasons......
So was McHenry.

He has stepped up.

Jones has gone backwards.

Schoenberg had the same coaching, know how to get the ball and be effective.

Jones won't be a mid. He is DMac 2.0.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I feel really conflicted about our recruiters. I was ready to throw Hamish to the wolves but the early signs are that the 2020 draft has been a good one for us.
I said a while back that Hamish needs assistance with a top line recruiter. He has had some good picks but has also made some awful decisions over the last 5 years. List management haven't helped him at all so this needs to be factored in.

I said a while back that Hamish needs assistance with a top line recruiter. He has had some good picks but has also made some awful decisions over the last 5 years. List management haven't helped him at all so this needs to be factored in.
I feel you but if you bring in a more senior recruiter for guidance, what is the point of Hamish exactly?

Sooooo... basically like all recruiters then? Good picks mixed with a few bad ones is just the nature of the game, you can’t expect to nail every pick in every draft, but you don’t need to either.

I feel you but if you bring in a more senior recruiter for guidance, what is the point of Hamish exactly?
Could be a way to shuffle him into a different role. The fact that he may need assistance may be an indicator that he isn't the best choice.

Could be a way to shuffle him into a different role. The fact that he may need assistance may be an indicator that he isn't the best choice.
He wouldn't stay and accept a demotion when another struggling team would pick him up at his current level.
Are you two trying to suggest that Hamish is the root of our current problems?

No the root of our problems is the age/experience profile of our list. This is why it's absolutely crucial that we nail as many of our first round picks as possible. Hamish has blown way too many of those in recent years. The 2020 draft is looking solid right now though.

Our drafting is one of many problems but if you want the root of our problems it was likely Chapman, Riccuito and to a lesser extent Fagan that caused most of our problems. Two are gone which is most definitely progress.

In saying that I think Thilthorpe, Berry, Pedlar are potential stars and Cook and Newchurch should be hopefully very good players for us. Rowe and Borlaise look pretty good as well so I think we did well last draft.

Last edited:
Sooooo... basically like all recruiters then? Good picks mixed with a few bad ones is just the nature of the game, you can’t expect to nail every pick in every draft, but you don’t need to either.

You don't have to nail every pick but you do need to nail your 1st rounders more regularly than what we appear to be doing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to tell whether the players we've drafted are sh*t, or whether the club is sh*t
Given most of the people who were there are no longer there, we're about to find out if the players are indeed sh*t.

We need McAsey to come good, Fog too. Jones is a worry to this point, McHenry looks to have jumped into calculations though and well RT has star written all over him

The club is sh*t but even sh*t teams can usually acquire gun players in the first round and get them to perform.

You should look at the drafting history of clubs like Melbourne and Carlton over the years

You don't have to nail every pick but you do need to nail your 1st rounders more regularly than what we appear to be doing
Writing off players after less than 3 years in the system doesn’t constitute them as a bust outside of BigFooty world, where you’re either a star or spud after a couple of games

Last edited:
The club is sh*t but even sh*t teams can usually acquire gun players in the first round and get them to perform.
We have practically turned over the entire off field department, but it takes more than one off season to truly see change on field as a result of that. We have a very competent coaching panel now, so no more excuses for the players. These next two seasons will sort out those players who actually are busts versus playing under poor coaches hindering their natural talent. It’s still way too early to make a call either way yet. Plenty wrote off McHenry after a handful of games last season, but he definitely appears to be showing improvement so far this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back