Preview Practice Match: Crows vs Port, Saturday Feb 27/2/21 @ 11am

Remove this Banner Ad

We bang on about Port’s 2018 draftees, yet ignore the fact that Jones and McHenry have suffered from a lack of opportunities, poor coaching and a complete lack of onfield leadership.

Rozee, Butters and Duursma were all backed and thrown in from day 1, meanwhile we continued to plug games into Douglas and Mackay. And it’s clear Campo and Godden have instructed Jones to play a role he has had to learn, but has not had the on-field coaching to assist. His positioning is not a result of a poor football brain, rather the coaching and leadership he has been exposed to.

Jones and Ned have the tools, two years of wasted development has not helped.

I have no faith in putting Jones in the SANFL under Godden’s guidance.

Agreed. I think we have had really poor on field leadership for a long time. We all love Tex, Sloane, Lynch and others but none are great leaders. We have seen that with the fractures in the playing group over the years and the disconnect between some players and the club. The other problem is Tex has never been a good leader on the track and Sloane doesn't get on the track enough.
Tex is a fantastic leader.

I wonder if anyone did stats for the game, would actually like to know what all the players did, some looked like they had more than what they had because they did good things with the ball others had more but fluffed it alot

I'm starting to think Chayce Jones main issue is that he's just really dumb. He's on boak. He's biting on his mouthgard, doesn't even have it in, wtf??
Jones just needs to learn to see ball get ball and not try wrestle with the man. That’s his main issue always prefers to grapple rather than just go at the ball which he should be doing with his speed . He is scared to to put his head in
No he doesn't.

That is his issue. Positioning and knowing how to win the ball. And how to be effective when not having the ball.

Footy smarts.

He seems to have no idea how to get involved.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Watched him closely and his issue at centre bounces and ball ups he wants to grapple with his man and he is tiny and always loses the front spot . He needs to just use his speed and have the see ball get ball attitude aka what Berry did in the first game.

Attachments

• 1614391066006.png
    1614391066006.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 63
The lack of trying something new and instead reverting back to Laird/Keays/Sloane for most of this pre-season has been very disappointing.
Agreed, was frustrating to see Schoenberg stuck in the forward line for big chunks of the game. He provided so much spark and attack last year when he was in the middle. Would much rather see Sloane up forward and Schoenberg in the guts

We bang on about Port’s 2018 draftees, yet ignore the fact that Jones and McHenry have suffered from a lack of opportunities, poor coaching and a complete lack of onfield leadership.

Rozee, Butters and Duursma were all backed and thrown in from day 1, meanwhile we continued to plug games into Douglas and Mackay. And it’s clear Campo and Godden have instructed Jones to play a role he has had to learn, but has not had the on-field coaching to assist. His positioning is not a result of a poor football brain, rather the coaching and leadership he has been exposed to.

Jones and Ned have the tools, two years of wasted development has not helped.

I have no faith in putting Jones in the SANFL under Godden’s guidance.
Jones and McHenry have had all the opportunity in the world. Jones especially.

Hate to say it, but there is something ingrained in our older players that is incredibly difficult to beat out of them. I don't know if we'll ever be able to change them actually.

Especially when the chips are down.

The quicker we can get the newer younger guys in the better.
THIS

It's a shame but they have what we don't want. We're actually worse for having them pass on their experience

Our senior core of a mids are very poor outside of Ben Keays.
Bit harsh on Matt, he and Keays are clearly our best senior mids. Starting rotations should be those two with the likes of Laird, Hately, Jones, Schoenberg, McHenry and Sholl rolling through there. Sloane should remain on a wing or half forward with only small midfield stints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones just needs to learn to see ball get ball and not try wrestle with the man. That’s his main issue always prefers to grapple rather than just go at the ball which he should be doing with his speed . He is scared to to put his head in

Watched him closely and his issue at centre bounces and ball ups he wants to grapple with his man and he is tiny and always loses the front spot . He needs to just use his speed and have the see ball get ball attitude aka what Berry did in the first game.
Another sign he wants to slow the game down.

Impede his opponent physically, slow their movement down so he can have a chance to contest.

Physically quick, does well in time trials and open play. But in traffic mentally slow at reading the game.

Jones should have played in the 05 to 09 era.

Another sign he wants to slow the game down.

Impede his opponent physically, slow their movement down so he can have a chance to contest.

Physically quick, does well in time trials and open play. But in traffic mentally slow at reading the game.

Jones should have played in the 05 to 09 era.

It's what he's being told to do

Tex is a fantastic leader.

Love the guy but he isn't. Doesn't do anywhere near enough during the week to set the right examples. There were some big fractures in the playing group while he was Captain. A good guy to have around the club and a great guy at organising the coffee catch-ups but that doesn't make him a good Captain of a professional team.

Somebody might want to tell our list managers to consider durability when handing out long term contracts.
You'd have to be pretty pessimistic to predict two season long injuries for Milera when assessing his contact

Love the guy but he isn't. Doesn't do anywhere near enough during the week to set the right examples. There were some big fractures in the playing group while he was Captain. A good guy to have around the club and a great guy at organising the coffee catch-ups but that doesn't make him a good Captain of a professional team.
Voted by his peers as the best in the league..... Twice.

The fractures were caused by people no longer there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back