Pre-Season Training 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Did his ACL July/August so i reckon we'll see him in the VFL in June and he'll spend a while there getting confidence and fitness back. I suspect the club will be extremely patient with him considering he's had 4 long term leg injuries now
There'd be reason to be cautious with Scharenberg, but I would anticipate he'd be back playing VFL well before June. Given they use different tendon's these days (quads?), they are stronger and recovery shouldn't be as long as it used to be. Used to use hamstrings and half the delay in recovery was making sure the hamstring was OK from what I have been told. Goldsack was injured in about April and back in late August? Dunn was early July and hopes to be available for Round 1.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well the last 3-4 Season you almost Dreading the Season

Nah, never dread the oncoming season. Good, bad or ugly, it's always worth watching.

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty impressive for someone of Lynch's size to finish top 3 in the time trial and it seemingly gives him one identifiable strength at least that can be built upon.

I remember when Dawes was finishing top 5 or so in the time trials prior to 2010 and while his career petered out after 2011 having above average stamina for a man with his frame helped propel him to a level above his skill set for a period of time and got him a premiership medallion.

Pretty impressive for someone of Lynch's size to finish top 3 in the time trial and it seemingly gives him one identifiable strength at least that can be built upon.

I remember when Dawes was finishing top 5 or so in the time trials prior to 2010 and while his career petered out after 2011 having above average stamina for a man with his frame helped propel him to a level above his skill set for a period of time and got him a premiership medallion.

Footy is more then just Stamina

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Footy is more then just Stamina

Of course but do you think Phillips would be anywhere near as influential a player without his elite endurance?

On skill alone he'd be struggling to make the 22.

For Lynch it might be the difference between having a 50 game career or not having one at all.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

So what you're saying is Lynch will win a premiership medal this year and then be delisted shortly after?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what you're saying is Lynch will win a premiership medal this year and then be delisted shortly after?
No, he’ll win a flag, then be traded for way over the odds on a long term contract, then be delisted by his new club!

Dawes stamina wasn't the problem

Dawes problem was he couldn't take a clean grab should have played volleyball and had the turning circle of a mack truck.

Dawes stamina wasn't the problem

Dawes problem was he couldn't take a clean grab should have played volleyball and had the turning circle of a mack truck.

Still was important part of our 2010 Flag

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/01/07/ifsbutspies

Not sure where this belongs so posting it here.
Fair point about where this article fits. It's an optimistic account of where the Pies stand but I see things similarly - What can Moore and De Goey be? What if we lose Grundy and does the new ruck rule benefit him? Cox? Elliott? Interesting perspective on Tom Phillips too and his peers.
Only thing they've missed is nominating Nathan Murphy amongst the 'next breed' to step up.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair point about where this article fits. It's an optimistic account of where the Pies stand but I see things similarly - What can Moore and De Goey be? What if we lose Grundy and does the new ruck rule benefit him? Cox? Elliott? Interesting perspective on Tom Phillips too and his peers.
Only thing they've missed is nominating Nathan Murphy amongst the 'next breed' to step up.

Yeah, a good read.

I'm surprised they suggest Cox as the Grundy replacement ruckman should the unthinkable occur and not mention Roughy who to me is the more logical option.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Yeah, a good read.

I'm surprised they suggest Cox as the Grundy replacement ruckman should the unthinkable occur and not mention Roughy who to me is the more logical option.

Cox is a pretty good tap ruckman. I wonder what Rougheads hit out stats were like in his time in the role at the Dogs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back