Priest Stabbed Live Stream in Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Generally when a charge applies the knife is confiscated and disposed of, he might like flick knives and have replaced it.
Definitely could have been a different flick knife and probably was for the reasons you have described. I just meant that the poster was probably right in assuming it was a flick knife generally. Sorry for not being clearer on that.

Is the accused going to argue that there was no intent to murder because he deliberately did not flick open the flick knife, and if the knife then subsequently opened, that this was accidental?

I'm intrigued how they spin attending a church with a knife, storming the altar, and stabbing the priest repeatedly with that knife isn't attempted murder (if they try to do so).

Is the accused going to argue that there was no intent to murder because he deliberately did not flick open the flick knife, and if the knife then subsequently opened, that this was accidental?

If you watch it, you can see him launch then pause .. that's when he looks at the knife, then he does a bit a movement which might have been the flick open and continues.

My guess is the blade wasn't snap locked open in to the shaft. He kept stabbing with a loose blade and that's also possibly how he nearly cut one of his fingers off.

This 16yo imo probably bought a cheap flick knife and he has no to little experience using it.

And I might add, many thanks for that because the intention imo was to kill the Bishop.

If he'd had a different kind of knife, he'd likely have succeeded.

If you watch it, you can see him launch then pause .. that's when he looks at the knife, then he does a bit a movement which might have been the flick open and continues.

My guess is the blade wasn't snap locked open in to the shaft. He kept stabbing with a loose blade and that's also possibly how he nearly cut one of his fingers off.
Things might be so way worse in Sydney last night and today had that knife opened or been opened properly.

'PUBLISHED: 14:49 AEST, 16 April 2024 | UPDATED: 15:04 AEST, 16 April 2024
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 3.38.02 PM.png

Things might be so way worse in Sydney last night and today had that knife opened or been opened properly.

'PUBLISHED: 14:49 AEST, 16 April 2024 | UPDATED: 15:04 AEST, 16 April 2024
View attachment 1961203
Wow! I wonder how many knives have ever failed in a stabbing! And for this to happen in a church... :eekv1:

Last edited:
They are still not definitely saying whether self-inflicted, retribution or other.
They might not be sure yet, and have different/opposing versions of what happened from both sides.

4.42pm
Minns confirms teen lost fingers in stabbing attack, previously brought knife to school

By Josefine Ganko

NSW Premier Chris Minns has confirmed that the teenager arrested after the Wakeley stabbing had fingers cut off during the attack.
“The information we have is that [the teen’s fingers were cut off] in the commission of the crime,” Minns told 2GB’s Chris O’Keefe.
Minns also confirmed reports that the teen was found with a knife at school in 2020....'

The severed finger being not deliberate now appears to be what the media is running with at the moment.

'Alleged teen terrorist’s disturbing knife history before Christian priest was stabbed in haunting livestream'

'April 16, 2024 - 4:23PM
News.com.au understands one of his fingers was severed – not deliberately by any of the parishioners, but during the scuffle, police believe.

Rumours had quickly spread through the crowd and on social media last night that vigilantes had “chopped off” some of his fingers.

He has undergone surgery at an undisclosed hospital.

A graphic image circulating on Telegram purporting to show four severed fingers is fake, news.com.au has confirmed.

Witnesses have indicated the alleged weapon was a flick blade knife and that the alleged attacker hadn’t opened it properly before striking.

Ms Webb confirmed police believe a flick blade was used.

An image shows the teenager handcuffed with a wounded hand.

An image shows the teenager handcuffed with a wounded hand.

Anyone thinking of posting vids of it here, pls don't, it's really distressing.

2h ago 15.27 AEST

'Facebook and X ordered to remove church stabbing content

Josh Taylor

Facebook’s parent company Meta and X/Twitter have been issued with notices to remove violent and distressing videos posted online of the stabbing of prominent Orthodox Christian leader Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel at his church in Wakeley in Sydney’s west on Monday evening.

The eSafety commissioner, Julie Inman Grant, told reporters on Tuesday that notices to remove within 24 hours what had been deemed to be class 1 material, that is “material depicting gratuitous or offensive violence with a high degree of impact or detail” to be removed from X and Meta, with the companies facing potential fines if they fail to comply.

The notices relate to Emmanuel’s alleged stabbing by a 16-year-old on Monday evening during Emmanuel’s mass, which was being live-streamed.

Inman Grant said:

While the majority of mainstream social media platforms have engaged with us, I am not satisfied enough is being done to protect Australians from this most extreme and gratuitous violent material circulating online. That is why I am exercising my powers under the Online Safety Act to formally compel them to remove it. I have issued a notice to X requiring them to remove this content. A legal notice will also be sent to Meta this afternoon, and further notices are likely to follow. I will not hesitate to use further graduated powers at my disposal if there is noncompliance.
Comment has been sought from Meta and X. Inman Grant said the quantum of the fines sought could depend on the gravity of the non-compliance. She said more removal notices to other platforms could be issued.

Notices have not been issued in relation to the Bondi Junction Westfield stabbings imagery, which has continued to circulate on social media since Saturday.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It spread around Twitter/X like wildfire. We saw it just after it was posted and before people turned up to riot, and we do not follow or engage with any accounts that would have been directly streaming that. There are other accounts that will promote and propagate things like that, regardless of whether they are involved with or interested in the subject matter, and with the algorithm posts like that can end up in people’s feeds very quickly.
The church service was live-streamed.

Yeah I have seen the pic floating around of the hand and severed fingers, looks almost professionally and surgically done. Doesn't look like something a 16yo could calmly do on his own but then again what do I know

The church service was live-streamed.
Not sure how that changes anything I said? Yes it was live streamed, but clips appeared all over the place very fast, reaching a far greater audience than the original live stream.

2h ago 15.27 AEST

Josh Taylor

Facebook’s parent company Meta and X/Twitter have been issued with notices to remove violent and distressing videos posted online of the stabbing of prominent Orthodox Christian leader Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel at his church in Wakeley in Sydney’s west on Monday evening.

The eSafety commissioner, Julie Inman Grant, told reporters on Tuesday that notices to remove within 24 hours what had been deemed to be class 1 material, that is “material depicting gratuitous or offensive violence with a high degree of impact or detail” to be removed from X and Meta, with the companies facing potential fines if they fail to comply.

The notices relate to Emmanuel’s alleged stabbing by a 16-year-old on Monday evening during Emmanuel’s mass, which was being live-streamed.

Inman Grant said:

Comment has been sought from Meta and X. Inman Grant said the quantum of the fines sought could depend on the gravity of the non-compliance. She said more removal notices to other platforms could be issued.

Notices have not been issued in relation to the Bondi Junction Westfield stabbings imagery, which has continued to circulate on social media since Saturday.'

That might be a bit OTT from what I've seen and I think the eSafety commissioner is flexing. The video of the Bishop's attack could go behind a warning imo.

I'm not even sure the Bishop or anybody else was actually stabbed?

The imagery from Bondi is right through the mainstream press.

Completely irrelevant to the current event.
It was absolutely relevant to the broader and more complex discussion I was having with someone, which you could in fact bother to read rather than just responding to a subsequent explanation about part of the conversation.

More from PM Albanese in the below article on the video takedown orders to X & FB and inflammatory posts last night about this event.

The crap I saw being circulated on (twitter) X last night was absolutely appalling.
I can only imagine what was being read on the other social media platforms.

'eSafety commissioner orders X and Meta to remove violent videos following Sydney church stabbing'
'Tue 16 Apr 2024 17.25 AEST
The prime minister, Anthony Albanese, told reporters on Tuesday he was concerned about the videos circulating online and the communications minister, Michelle Rowland, had been in contact with Inman Grant about getting videos removed.

“We remain concerned about the role of social media, including the publication of videos that can be very harmful, particularly for younger people who have access. Anyone with a phone essentially can do that,” he said.

“We continue to work with the eSafety commissioner and to use what powers are at our disposal to demand that material be taken down. I know the AFP commissioner and the security agencies are engaged in that as well.”

Those in the crowd outside the church on Monday night were being incited by inflammatory posts being spread on social media, one member of the Assyrian community, Maria, told Guardian Australia.

“They were reacting to what they were seeing on social media, there were many inflammatory posts making the rounds, people advocating for violence and the such. It was making lots of people very angry.”
...'

2h ago 15.27 AEST

Josh Taylor

Inman Grant said:

I don't think this actually reaches the threshold for those notices, and it seems especially odd given there is equivalent if not more more distressing imagery relating to the Bondi attacks. I think the real reason is that they don't want people being inspired by the stabbing footage or it being out there to incite tensions across the relevant communities, which is fair enough, but I wish they'd just be honest about that.

I'm confused as to how quickly the NSW police commissioner has arrived at the conclusion that this was a terrorist attack.

I mean, what is the evidence of political or religious ideology from this attacker that normally necessitate the defining of terrorism?

I'm confused as to how quickly the NSW police commissioner has arrived at the conclusion that this was a terrorist attack.

I mean, what is the evidence of political or religious ideology from this attacker that normally necessitate the defining of terrorism?

I am lead to believe the accused admitted as such at the event.

I don't think this actually reaches the threshold for those notices, and it seems especially odd given there is equivalent if not more more distressing imagery relating to the Bondi attacks. I think the real reason is that they don't want people being inspired by the stabbing footage or it being out there to incite tensions across the relevant communities, which is fair enough, but I wish they'd just be honest about that.
Then they should change the laws to provide clear powers to quickly order the removal of pics and vids from terrorist and other incidents that might incite racial, religious and other violence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back