Review Qualifying Final 1, 2021 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is McStay out next week a given?

There was a lot of blood and (maybe) a broken nose but sitting on the bench , he looked reasonably alert.

Commentators were pontificating about "concussion protocols" but if it's just a whack across the snout, does he really have to automatically sit out for 12 days?

Maybe I'm just living in hope but surely he should at least to the testing before being ruled out?

Yes, bad concussion. They subbed him off immediately without doing the test, because he couldn't even walk without assistance.

Is McStay out next week a given?

There was a lot of blood and (maybe) a broken nose but sitting on the bench , he looked reasonably alert.

Commentators were pontificating about "concussion protocols" but if it's just a whack across the snout, does he really have to automatically sit out for 12 days?

Maybe I'm just living in hope but surely he should at least be afforded the testing before being ruled out?

I wondered the same. You would assume he had passed his concussion tests and he was kept off as precautionary. If someone fails a concussion test do they show them replays of their impact? What's the point?

Emotionally gassed as a supporter and I don’t want to bash players cause I inevitably want to take it back after.. but damn Jarrod Berry is in deadset no mans land at the moment.

We all want him to be this important cog for the next 10 years but he’s just lost as a footballer.
Not an accumulator, not quick or impactful enough for a quick burst impact player, not super skilled, shaky down forward.
Unsure he’s a lockdown backman.

Unless he’s given a pure lockdown role I’m just not sure where he’s at. Injury issues taken into account and all.

It’s the exact position we can’t really afford passengers in and right now he’s riding shotgun.

Wrong game to take aim at Berry. He shouldve been playing on Oliver but had to go forward and pretend to be a third tall. Unfair criticism.

Yes, bad concussion. They subbed him off immediately without doing the test, because he couldn't even walk without assistance.

If I got smacked across the nose hard enough to make me spray blood everywhere, I'd be hard pressed to walk without assistance too.

Does that mean I absolutely must have suffered a concussion?

I maybe grasping at straws but let me hang on to some hope

If I got smacked across the nose hard enough to make me spray blood everywhere, I'd be hard pressed to walk without assistance too.

He also had that look of trying to adjust himself to space and his environment as he was coming off.

Fages mentioned in the presser he had concussion and would miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong game to take aim at Berry. He shouldve been playing on Oliver but had to go forward and pretend to be a third tall. Unfair criticism.

Assessing/ criticising Berry on the role he was thrust into tonight is as you say, totally unfair.

With Hipwood gone for the year, Berry basically became a second tall.

Most unfortunate for him and the team.

We need to talk about Harris Andrews.

He is a great mark (when he goes for them) and is a great reader of the ball in flight. He IS NOT a good one on one defender, he IS NOT able to play on power forwards, he IS NOT quick enough to keep up with fast leading forwards, he IS NOT able to react to quick, elusive forwards

Harris Andrews is a very good INTERCEPT MARKER and spoiler when he has time to read the kick. If he is not played in a role across half back where he can play to his stregths, he is a liability.

Not meant as a criticism of Andrews, just an acknowledgement of what he does well and does not do well.

We need to free him up to mark everything across half back and block the space IN FRONT of the deep forwards, not play shoulder to shoulder with them. Fev said he would have loved to play on andrews and says he would have kicked bags. He is right. Andrews is a poor deep defender. Fev would have slaughtered him man on man. However, Fev would not have liked Harris taking space in front of him and marking everything coming his direction.

Harris skills are OFFENSIVE, not defensive, we must play to his strengths.

Sorry to intrude but I ******* love your coach. What an amazing man Fagan is, to not sit there and b*tch and moan (*cough Chris Scott*) but to commend another team for playing well. Would love to see that man holding a premiership cup one day, genuinely hope to see him achieve that. Fingers crossed your list is in better shape over the next few years and you get a genuine crack at it.

Best of luck next week!
Chris Scott always praises the opposition. You sound like a daft Tigers supporter, which congrats if that was your intention but if not ... cringe.

I would never speak about a two time Geelong premiership player the way you've just spoken about Scotty. But I guess one of us has respect for a former club champion and the other person is you. Maybe show some class?

Anyway, just came to say good luck to you guys against Essendon or the Dogs. It was a tough ask with McStay out. I hope you do well because it helps footy here in Brissy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to know how Melbourne went from bottom 4 to almost untouchable in less than 12 months

The stars align, you have minimal injuries, you discover your mojo and you have your top players coming into their prime at just the right time.

Like Richmond from 2018 to 2021.

Before that they had three failed finals campaigns and were pretty much a laughing stock.

In 1998, the Brisbane Lions were wooden spooners.

Then we landed the three-peat in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

It happens

I want to know how Melbourne went from bottom 4 to almost untouchable in less than 12 months
You mean like we did from 2018 to 2019?

They had a shocking 2020 preseason, lots of injuries, Covid hit, and they just couldn’t get going last year.

They nailed their 2019 draft with Jackson, Pickett and Rivers.

They poached our strength and conditioning coach, Selwyn Griffiths last off season.

And have some really good players if you took notice of the AA team.

I did say they would be good this year, at the beginning of the season.

He is a great mark (when he goes for them) and is a great reader of the ball in flight. He IS NOT a good one on one defender, he IS NOT able to play on power forwards, he IS NOT quick enough to keep up with fast leading forwards, he IS NOT able to react to quick, elusive forwards

Harris Andrews is a very good INTERCEPT MARKER and spoiler when he has time to read the kick. If he is not played in a role across half back where he can play to his stregths, he is a liability.

Not meant as a criticism of Andrews, just an acknowledgement of what he does well and does not do well.

We need to free him up to mark everything across half back and block the space IN FRONT of the deep forwards, not play shoulder to shoulder with them. Fev said he would have loved to play on andrews and says he would have kicked bags. He is right. Andrews is a poor deep defender. Fev would have slaughtered him man on man. However, Fev would not have liked Harris taking space in front of him and marking everything coming his direction.

I’ve said all that before.

Google luck with your responses.

They finished 9th in 2020 with a reasonably healthy percentage, but a vast improvement this year. Maybe they did not like the hub life in QLD as much as some other teams eg Saints, so they might have finished slightly higher if no hubs, but will never know.

I have to ask also... Are we backing the wrong Berry?
Jarrad has been woeful this season. I know he is strong for iur culture..

But I honestly think Tom has shown us more.
He is faster, and a better buy foot.
Jarrad is miles off it at the moment

Berry has been solid last 2 weeks? we know he is slow of injury.

Tom has shown literally nothing but the ability to tackle at this point.

Kind of like how McGovern became the highest paid defender of all time

What's the saying about the best defence?

So last week I posted this and was smashed from the likes of Mighty Lions and Chopper... when I said this -

"I hope Berry performs well. I know he kicked 3 and that miss was an important point where he basically got a 7 point play but how does any AFL player miss almost directly in front no more than 20m out. I honestly thought Berry was going to be a gun player of the comp a few years ago but I just don't see it anymore other than being say a good ordinary player. For all his fitness attributes, he is slow, one of the worst players in the comp for awareness and in my eyes, isn't an overly natural player. Maybe tagging is his role now as he is good endurance runner so one hopes he can shut down Petraca or Oliver.

I think Robbo replaces Prior, but Harris inclusion has me stumped who goes out. It should be Birch, but we know that won't happen or ever Darcy who was really bad and looks horrible since his return, so maybe Lester which in of itself is unfair.

I personally would turf Fullarton. One of the most crappest performances I've seen in a long time by a Lions player. I saw them say on the couch last night that Fullarton has no place being in a finals team or would get shown up in finals and you can't disagree, but what do you do? Archie is a logical choice, but I can't see Fages doing that either. Cockatoo is another that needs to do more."

I respect that Mighty Lions obviously is on the inside at the club, but it doesn't take actual inside knowledge to recognise an average player when you see one. Fullarton is plainly that and that was there for all to see tonight. Even all the experts on the couch said last week that Fullarton has no business playing finals and they were spot on.

So after tonight's game Mighty Lions will you concede that the club got it wrong. I mean you said in response ") sh*t post about Fullerton. He had a dirty night that nobody could argue against. His game the week before was good. Smith isn't the "logical choice" as you say. Fullerton is our best option even though he is green and still has a long way to go BUT, he has a role every week that only he and his team mates are aware of. I hope he plays that role well on Saturday night and surprises people such as yourself, well...maybe not yourself." Except for maybe one game, he has looked all at sea in the AFL and the reserves games I've seen on YouTbe when they have been played the last couple of years. Many others have said Fullarton isn't up to it and he is not. I'd go as far as to say that he should be delisted at the end of the year because he will never be up to it.

Time for Archie Smith to get a go next week in the ruck, which will allow the Big O to play more forward to help Joe as Macca won't play and no Hppy. I'd play Lester up forward as a third tall and omit Cocky. Sure he had a couple of flashes in recent weeks, but thats all they were. He did nothing for the final 3 Qs last week and not a thing tonight other than force Macca out for the game tonight and next week. Quite a feet Cocky stuffing up our forward line. The least he could do was actually something tonight.

Well done to Lachie and Charlie who tried there guts out and O and Marcus and Kiddy who has surprised after thinking mid year he wasn't up to it.

I didn't think wed win tonight and sadly I think it will be a straight exit and will make one win out of six in finals for this group. Lets be honest, this group aint winning crap. Move on a few in trades and try getting some young gun mids if we can.

They were a top 4 team that had two terrible years.

Worth elaborating. In 2018 Dees finished 4th. The next year they brought in Steven May to shore up their defence who had a shocking year due to injury and for a range of reasons finished 2nd last. Through trades and and their abysmal finish they brought in two players they had targeted very early in Jackson and Pickett and addressed outside run by trading in Langdon.

Then in 2020 they had a pretty average year but their gun draftees in Oliver and Petracca started to hit some form and both became AAs along with their ruckman that had long been a fantastic.

Now in 2021 after some time with all the pieces gelling, their guns continuing their form and the draftees improving along with Tom McDonald remembering how to play, some other player having great years in Fritsch and Salem having career best years and Ben Brown coming in basically for free it's all coming together after the required s**t year/s all good finals team require.

Harris can be a good defender when he plays BACK SHOULDER - he can spoil everything and his opponent leads him to the contests. I have said it for years... when he players back shoulder he dominates.

Every so often he gets seduced into being the Lever/Range type and plays loose and floats forward and he gets slaughtered.

He is a wonderful defender, his issue is attitudinal at times IMO. Fingers pointing, hands on hips.

And.. he is clearly injured.

Congrats to Charles on his 150th. He came to play and did it will.

Harris can be a good defender when he plays BACK SHOULDER - he can spoil everything and his opponent leads him to the contests. I have said it for years... when he players back shoulder he dominates.

I agree and I consider whether his injury made him not so confident in following his man back shoulder. Rather he tried to beat them to the ball more easier. But with the lack of pressure in the mid he was caught out way too often. A shame there wasn't a shift quickly to fix that mindset.

I hope a nights sleep will do good. I just hope we don't go into next week full of dread and expecting to lose. We're still a darn good team

Harris has regressed so much this year he always looks drunk and he's become such a liability in defence. A massive contrast compared to last year where he was one of the most reliable defenders in the league and a genuine leader by example, looked like more of a team captain than Zorko at times. He needs a huge preseason to turn around whatever has happened to him.

He looked drunk tonight, I said it to my mates in a text. He legit looked like he was on heavy medication.

Back