Rance Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

I love conspiracy theories, so here goes....

Let’s suppose there was a mythical football club somewhere in the universe with salary cap issues, and that same club was in strong contention to win a title, and future titles. Let’s call them, shall we say, the Richstory FC. Perhaps this club had a very effective recruiting department and had put together a list too talented for its salary cap to cope.

Then let’s say they couldn’t bear the thought of losing major players or potential future major players. So if they could find a good amount of cap space somehow, then they could just about retain everyone of major value.

So let’s then say they unload a well paid but replaceable player who tends to divide opinion over the question of whether he is sufficiently lionhearted. Let’s call him Brendan Alice. This saves them roughly half the required cap space.

Stay with me here.

Let’s also say that if the Richstory FC doesn’t solve the other half of the problem, they are highly likely to lose some of the many rising stars they boast very soon, future household names like Bolter, Stackparty, Colemanmedal, and probable future skipper, Jack Boss.

So then let’s say one of the big contract players, a righteous man, had a potentially expensive impending divorce, let’s call him Allegory Rants. As any man of any sort of means who has been through a lawyer involved divorce will tell you, there is nothing quite like cash. No siree, when you have people trying to rob you through official channels left, right and with centrifugal force, there is nothing quite like cash.

Then let’s say there was a very senior football department administrator who is renowned for his study and practice of truth economics, who since the early 70’s has written the book on short cuts to winning grand finals. Call him Tiger Balm.

Now let’s say ol Tiger there came to realise that if the aforementioned divorcee-to-be were to “retire” that the club would only be charged roughly two twelfths of his salary within the cap. Bingo! There is the other half of the looming salary cap issue solved. The only major downside to this plan to this point would be the loss of the retired champion, the impending bachelor, Allegory Rants.

But Ol Tiger also has it on advice from the legal eagles(not to be confused with the illegal eagles, whose players seem to often be found with various narcotics in their system,) that should Rants return at a later time, his salary could be re-negotiated. What a beautiful public narrative, Rants returns, and says he only wants his two-twelfths payment, such is his love of the club. His popularity soars to messiah like levels. Everyone is happy. Nobody would ever suspect a thing...

...maybe except for the lawyers representing Mrs Rants, and Mrs Rants herself, oh and salty opposition clubs and their even saltier fanbases.....for reasons readers, I feel are best left to your own imaginations!

How did I go? :)

its Alastair Maclean on the board

I love conspiracy theories, so here goes....

Let’s suppose there was a mythical football club somewhere in the universe with salary cap issues, and that same club was in strong contention to win a title, and future titles. Let’s call them, shall we say, the Richstory FC. Perhaps this club had a very effective recruiting department and had put together a list too talented for its salary cap to cope.

Then let’s say they couldn’t bear the thought of losing major players or potential future major players. So if they could find a good amount of cap space somehow, then they could just about retain everyone of major value.

So let’s then say they unload a well paid but replaceable player who tends to divide opinion over the question of whether he is sufficiently lionhearted. Let’s call him Brendan Alice. This saves them roughly half the required cap space.

Stay with me here.

Let’s also say that if the Richstory FC doesn’t solve the other half of the problem, they are highly likely to lose some of the many rising stars they boast very soon, future household names like Bolter, Stackparty, Colemanmedal, and probable future skipper, Jack Boss.

So then let’s say one of the big contract players, a righteous man, had a potentially expensive impending divorce, let’s call him Allegory Rants. As any man of any sort of means who has been through a lawyer involved divorce will tell you, there is nothing quite like cash. No siree, when you have people trying to rob you through official channels left, right and with centrifugal force, there is nothing quite like cash.

Then let’s say there was a very senior football department administrator who is renowned for his study and practice of truth economics, who since the early 70’s has written the book on short cuts to winning grand finals. Call him Tiger Balm.

Now let’s say ol Tiger there came to realise that if the aforementioned divorcee-to-be were to “retire” that the club would only be charged roughly two twelfths of his salary within the cap. Bingo! There is the other half of the looming salary cap issue solved. The only major downside to this plan to this point would be the loss of the retired champion, the impending bachelor, Allegory Rants.

But Ol Tiger also has it on advice from the legal eagles(not to be confused with the illegal eagles, whose players seem to often be found with various narcotics in their system,) that should Rants return at a later time, his salary could be re-negotiated. What a beautiful public narrative, Rants returns, and says he only wants his two-twelfths payment, such is his love of the club. His popularity soars to messiah like levels. Everyone is happy. Nobody would ever suspect a thing...

...maybe except for the lawyers representing Mrs Rants, and Mrs Rants herself, oh and salty opposition clubs and their even saltier fanbases.....for reasons readers, I feel are best left to your own imaginations!

How did I go? :)
Benny Gale is a lawyer too.

Balmy quoted only paying 2/12ths (1/6) for 2020
So if a player like Vlas was to re sign in May. At a bigger amount. Can the club start using Rance salary for this purpose? I assumed all contacts were for the football season/calendar year. Can RFC use Rances 10/12 before he leaves?

So if a player like Vlas was to re sign in May. At a bigger amount. Can the club start using Rance salary for this purpose? I assumed all contacts were for the football season/calendar year. Can RFC use Rances 10/12 before he leaves?
Thats sorta what I was wondering.
If you have to meet a minimum in spending on salary cap, where are we at with it?
Is his Salary amount frozen and has to be spent before oct 31st this year or what?

Thats sorta what I was wondering.
If you have to meet a minimum in spending on salary cap, where are we at with it?
Is his Salary amount frozen and has to be spent before oct 31st this year or what?

My presumption is with this the club would have some flexibility to bring payments to other players forward if they need to, leaving more space in the cap in future years.

If I understood correctly, the way Balmey told it, RFC only have to account for “2/12ths” of Rance’s salary in the cap from here on given he has retired. So that likely gives $600kish this year and next that would not have been available had he not retired. From there I presume you can go to other contracted players, say Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin, Lynch or whoever, and bring forward some of their payments due in future years, in order to use up the 2020 cap space. If that or anything similar is correctly presumed then obviously it creates a $1.2m purse to be spread over future years.

According to what Balme said that makes sense as he stated this leaves us a nice bit of cap space to go out and seek another player...

Last edited:
Oh come on MR, you've left out the most important bit, did they all live happily ever after?

Well, as it is just a story....I should have started with “Once upon a time...” and finished with “they all lived happily ever after” to please those of us of a certain vintage.

I must caution though, whilst it is just a story I have imagined, I did imagine it from available facts. So it is a sort of non-fiction work of fiction. ;)

My presumption is with this the club would have some flexibility to bring payments to other players forward if they need to, leaving more space in the cap in future years.

If I understood correctly, the way Balmey told it, RFC only have to account for “2/12ths” of Rance’s salary in the cap from here on given he has retired. So that likely gives $600kish this year and next that would not have been available had he not retired. From there I presume you can go to other contracted players, say Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin, Lynch or whoever, and bring forward some of their payments due in future years, in order to use up the 2020 cap space. If that or anything similar is correctly presumed then obviously it creates a $1.2m purse to be spread over future years.
According to what Balme said that makes sense as he stated this leaves us a nice bit of cap space to go out and seek another player...
It looks to me he has said he’s retired, though he is actually still on the list and has only been paid for the two months from oct 31st.
Every team is required to have the same amount of players on the list and the same amount of money to pay them.
I get it there’ll be that money to go around next year but I’m not certain whether we will have to spend that money before the next cycle or not as we had less players so could unfairly pay more than other clubs are capable of.

The 2/12s must be referring to 2 calendar months. if Rance got a lump sum years salary in advance, then it would be too bad for us. If he and other players get it in chunks, then we won't be out of pocket. Again, I'm not sure when the start date for contracts is. Rookies who play regularly will take salary space. Far out. I don't understand. Thank goodness Balmey is in charge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks to me he has said he’s retired, though he is actually still on the list and has only been paid for the two months from oct 31st.
Every team is required to have the same amount of players on the list and the same amount of money to pay them.
I get it there’ll be that money to go around next year but I’m not certain whether we will have to spend that money before the next cycle or not as we had less players so could unfairly pay more than other clubs are capable of.

The 2/12s must be referring to 2 calendar months. if Rance got a lump sum years salary in advance, then it would be too bad for us. If he and other players get it in chunks, then we won't be out of pocket. Again, I'm not sure when the start date for contracts is. Rookies who play regularly will take salary space. Far out. I don't understand. Thank goodness Balmey is in charge

Just trying to think it through rationally rather than being able to speak with authority on the matter....there must be a legitimate mechanism or mechanisms by which clubs can manoeuvre to either:

A) bring contractual payments to other players from future years forward to be paid this year, or

B) carry the extra unpaid cap space forward to future years.

Either way, the effect must be the same, the $1.2-1.5m or whatever is left on Rance’s contract that now won’t be paid to him, can be used to accomodate an extra player or players from 2021 onwards. I wouldn’t think it was likely that the club loses the ability to use the remaining 10/12ths of his 2019/2020 contract on other players.

Well, as it is just a story....I should have started with “Once upon a time...” and finished with “they all lived happily ever after” to please those of us of a certain vintage.

I must caution though, whilst it is just a story I have imagined, I did imagine it from available facts. So it is a sort of non-fiction work of fiction. ;)

Ah :think: , so you are a crap reality TV Producer from Endermol Shine......................

No, but I am thinking of becoming a much loved celebrity who has everything. And an influencer, whatever that is. Or maybe a power-broker, if that is an actual role.

MR.PNG

Yeah, they are all lovely vacuous roles, utterly aspirational.

I think if Rance was 100% confirmed that he isn't definitely coming back, he would tell the club so they can remove him from the list and give someone else a crack via the SPP. The fact that they still have on there shows there is still a chance and he isnt completely closed off too it, otherwise, being the person that he is, he would of made it very clear to the club that he's done.

I think if Rance was 100% confirmed that he isn't definitely coming back, he would tell the club so they can remove him from the list and give someone else a crack via the SPP. The fact that they still have on there shows there is still a chance and he isnt completely closed off too it, otherwise, being the person that he is, he would of made it very clear to the club that he's done.

I’m pretty sure he retired to late and the final list lodgement for the afl had already occurred and it was too late to get anyone to train with us as a spp because they also needed to be cleared before that date by the afl

Can't be done given he pulled the pin after the final list lodgement deadline. Even if he died rather than retired, he'd have remained on the list in 2020.

Can't be done given he pulled the pin after the final list lodgement deadline. Even if he died rather than retired, he'd have remained on the list in 2020.

Im pretty sure another club had a player retire last pre season and were able to bring a player in to replace them. Actually didnt carlton do that when docherty went down early in the pre season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back