Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm struggling with the offseason. It's making me restless and there's only so many times per week I can rewatch our match versus the Hawks.

Could some of you please post what you're planning on having for dinner? That should help. Thank you.
Roast EVERYTHING

(Family function)

Roast EVERYTHING

(Family function)
I'm giving that an 8 out of 10. I love a roast dinner. The score could be increased to nine if it includes a gravy of the type that has gone out of fashion now and is thickened with flour. Proper nostalgic comfort gravy instead of your trendy jus reduction or whatever.

Toumpas and D33my are probably having tofu or chickpeas. Crimson will be having something pretty healthy with ancient grains, kale and lean protein but reducing nutrition credits with alcohol consumption.

I would struggle as a vegetarian. Even the cats would start to look tasty after about a week. It's Saturday so Topkent is probably going to be on fluids until about 4am. Are late opening kebab shops a big thing in Canada?

If I think really hard with my eyes closed I can sense that ponsDale and Meds are going to go with a curry - probably a green curry for Meds and a Singapore Laksa for ponsDale. Cannon is in Gympie yes? So if he is eating out the options will probably be burger or a chicken Parma.

I'm giving that an 8 out of 10. I love a roast dinner. The score could be increased to nine if it includes a gravy of the type that has gone out of fashion now and is thickened with flour. Proper nostalgic comfort gravy instead of your trendy jus reduction or whatever.

Toumpas and D33my are probably having tofu or chickpeas. Crimson will be having something pretty healthy with ancient grains, kale and lean protein but reducing nutrition credits with alcohol consumption.

I would struggle as a vegetarian. Even the cats would start to look tasty after about a week. It's Saturday so Topkent is probably going to be on fluids until about 4am. Are late opening kebab shops a big thing in Canada?

If I think really hard with my eyes closed I can sense that ponsDale and Meds are going to go with a curry - probably a green curry for Meds and a Singapore Laksa for ponsDale. Cannon is in Gympie yes? So if he is eating out the options will probably be burger or a chicken Parma.
Gravy is drippings from the roast mixed with flour then add beef stock and whatever salt pepper etc that you like. That's roast gravy right there or at least the only way I know to make it and I get no complaints. I also make Yorshire puddings which are either solid to good or epic and quite possibly the best in the world. I have no idea yet what is behind the variation from roast to roast.

Sad., so sad.
Just had a lovely sirloin steak with a fabulous Thai slaw with peanut sauce, home made of course. And some excellent kipfler spuds dressed with prosciutto, chives and melted butter. Oh, and one or two cans of Asahi.........delicious.

Sad., so sad.
Just had a lovely sirloin steak with a fabulous Thai slaw with peanut sauce, home made of course. And some excellent kipfler spuds dressed with prosciutto, chives and melted butter. Oh, and one or two cans of Asahi.........delicious.
That sounds pretty good. I'm kind of hoping the slaw had lots of chilli in which case I will overlook the ethnic confusion inserting the kipfler prosciutto thing to the mix.

Thanks all. This has been most helpful. And a slightly more normal way of passing time then wondering what posters look like in their underwear. Hopefully it won't get to that. Maybe I will just crack open the Hawks game again.

That sounds pretty good. I'm kind of hoping the slaw had lots of chilli in which case I will overlook the ethnic confusion inserting the kipfler prosciutto thing to the mix.

Thanks all. This has been most helpful. And a slightly more normal way of passing time then wondering what posters look like in their underwear. Hopefully it won't get to that. Maybe I will just crack open the Hawks game again.
Crack open Geelong 2015 for a different feel

Steak and chips.

Oh and a bottle of Balnaves of Coonawarra.

Last edited:
At DFO South wharf following the Mrs around.

Life couldn't be more peachy.
I get angry at DFO. Actually I get bad tempered at any shopping mall thing. I'm not very good at shopping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not correct.

MY family is very traditional. Roast turkey with stuffing (done on the webber), cold ham, mince pies, christmas pudding with brandy set alight on top and hard sauce - the works. Includes traditional gravy.

Not correct.

MY family is very traditional. Roast turkey with stuffing (done on the webber), cold ham, mince pies, christmas pudding with brandy set alight on top and hard sauce - the works. Includes traditional gravy.
I don't think your family can be described as fully traditional if you are eating the full Christmas dinner on a random Sunday in mid December.

Hang on. What is hard sauce?

Last edited:
I'm struggling with the offseason. It's making me restless and there's only so many times per week I can rewatch our match versus the Hawks.

Could some of you please post what you're planning on having for dinner? That should help. Thank you.
Chicken and chorizo taco's tonight.
Mexican is the future!

Well that's about it for me for the year here in the office. Think I'll head out and have a long lunch at Nando's then make a quick appearance back here to grab my laptop...... love Chrissy Holidays!!! I'll be hanging around home (Sunshine Coast) doing a spot of fishing and some home improvements. Back to work on the 3rd Jan

What're you lot up to for the festive season?

Well that's about it for me for the year here in the office. Think I'll head out and have a long lunch at Nando's then make a quick appearance back here to grab my laptop...... love Chrissy Holidays!!! I'll be hanging around home (Sunshine Coast) doing a spot of fishing and some home improvements. Back to work on the 3rd Jan

Taut lines Yakker, have a great break. Me and the missus are of to Koh Samui on Thursday for 10 days, go back to work on the 11th, yeahhhhhhh baby.

I'm in Dalmeny NSW visiting family but flying back to Melbourne on Christmas Eve (I alternate the actual Christmas thing between mine and my partner's families). But the good bit is tomorrow me and my sister are going fishing on the Narooma Inlet! I hope I get a flathead. (And if I do, I hope I can talk someone else into gutting it. I do that with my eyes closed which isn't apparently thought to be very safe). If I do catch a fish I'll post a photo.

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around much lately, and possibly even missed me...? *crickets*

Anyway, the off-season this year filled me with such dread that I decided to investigate a new hobby and have taken up gold detecting. My theory was that the old-timers must have left a lot behind that could be easily cleaned up with today's technology. Has anybody else given this a go?

It's a weird thing, the only business I know of where one brand is king and everything they've made (that's pulse induction technology anyway) over the past 20 years is better than anything that anybody else is making even today. They're an Aussie brand too, don't know why the Americans are lagging so far behind. They're expensive though.

I took 4 days off work in late October to hit Wedderburn with a hired SDC2300 to see if I'd like it, and found 4 little nuggets. I've got the bug now. Even bought a Minelab F1A4 off eBay a couple of weeks ago before discussing it with my wife (and a new coil she doesn't know about yet), that I just barely got away with.

Hopefully I'll be like Yakker and his fish pics with my nugget finds. Here's one of my little nugs from the Wedderburn trip:

upload_2016-12-21_8-48-3.jpeg

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around much lately, and possibly even missed me...? *crickets*

Anyway, the off-season this year filled me with such dread that I decided to investigate a new hobby and have taken up gold detecting. My theory was that the old-timers must have left a lot behind that could be easily cleaned up with today's technology. Has anybody else given this a go?

It's a weird thing, the only business I know of where one brand is king and everything they've made (that's pulse induction technology anyway) over the past 20 years is better than anything that anybody else is making even today. They're an Aussie brand too, don't know why the Americans are lagging so far behind. They're expensive though.

I took 4 days off work in late October to hit Wedderburn with a hired SDC2300 to see if I'd like it, and found 4 little nuggets. I've got the bug now. Even bought a Minelab F1A4 off eBay a couple of weeks ago before discussing it with my wife (and a new coil she doesn't know about yet), that I just barely got away with.

Hopefully I'll be like Yakker and his fish pics with my nugget finds. Here's one of my little nugs from the Wedderburn trip:

View attachment 321382
That'll keep you out of the house for a while.

Did you model the cost/benefit on a spreadsheet?

View attachment 321382
Are you sure that's a gold nugget?

It looks like a very small ferrerro rocher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back