Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That'll keep you out of the house for a while.

Did you model the cost/benefit on a spreadsheet?

Mate, the detector was a steal and I'll be able to sell it for a profit if it doesn't work out, no worries. ;)

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around much lately, and possibly even missed me...? *crickets*

Anyway, the off-season this year filled me with such dread that I decided to investigate a new hobby and have taken up gold detecting. My theory was that the old-timers must have left a lot behind that could be easily cleaned up with today's technology. Has anybody else given this a go?

It's a weird thing, the only business I know of where one brand is king and everything they've made (that's pulse induction technology anyway) over the past 20 years is better than anything that anybody else is making even today. They're an Aussie brand too, don't know why the Americans are lagging so far behind. They're expensive though.

I took 4 days off work in late October to hit Wedderburn with a hired SDC2300 to see if I'd like it, and found 4 little nuggets. I've got the bug now. Even bought a Minelab F1A4 off eBay a couple of weeks ago before discussing it with my wife (and a new coil she doesn't know about yet), that I just barely got away with.

Hopefully I'll be like Yakker and his fish pics with my nugget finds. Here's one of my little nugs from the Wedderburn trip:

View attachment 321382
Welcome (back) Stranger

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around much lately, and possibly even missed me...? *crickets*

Anyway, the off-season this year filled me with such dread that I decided to investigate a new hobby and have taken up gold detecting. My theory was that the old-timers must have left a lot behind that could be easily cleaned up with today's technology. Has anybody else given this a go?

It's a weird thing, the only business I know of where one brand is king and everything they've made (that's pulse induction technology anyway) over the past 20 years is better than anything that anybody else is making even today. They're an Aussie brand too, don't know why the Americans are lagging so far behind. They're expensive though.

I took 4 days off work in late October to hit Wedderburn with a hired SDC2300 to see if I'd like it, and found 4 little nuggets. I've got the bug now. Even bought a Minelab F1A4 off eBay a couple of weeks ago before discussing it with my wife (and a new coil she doesn't know about yet), that I just barely got away with.

Hopefully I'll be like Yakker and his fish pics with my nugget finds. Here's one of my little nugs from the Wedderburn trip:

View attachment 321382
What's a nugget like that worth and how many of them would you need to find to cover your costs??

What's a nugget like that worth and how many of them would you need to find to cover your costs??

LOL, that one was about 0.15g, so $7.50.

Total outgoings for that trip = $680.00.
Total value of gold found (0.4g) = $20.00. :p:p:p

LOL, that one was about 0.15g, so $7.50.

Total outgoings for that trip = $680.00.
Total value of gold found (0.4g) = $20.00. :p:p:p
Keep at it big guy!!!

This will be you one day.

72a8f519819ba925d3f0aececdbe1732.jpg

Striker475 my fellow Star Warsian, have you seen Rogue one yet? I just saw it tonight and i loved it!
I'll proudly nominate myself for membership!

I haven't seen it yet and its killing me ... all sorts of would be spoilers are popping up too and I'm terrified I'll see something I don't want to yet.

Won't be able to see it until after Christmas either, my suggestion of seeing it by myself tomorrow night while the in-laws are over for Christmas dinner didn't go the way I'd hoped.

I'll proudly nominate myself for membership!

I haven't seen it yet and its killing me ... all sorts of would be spoilers are popping up too and I'm terrified I'll see something I don't want to yet.

Won't be able to see it until after Christmas either, my suggestion of seeing it by myself tomorrow night while the in-laws are over for Christmas dinner didn't go the way I'd hoped.
Just quietly go, then go again with the in-laws. Trust me i want to watch it again. It's pretty good, obviously i'm holding back so much i'd love to talk about and it's painful.

You've be granted membership. Initiation question: Light side or Darkside?

You guys want to see two bigfooty posters on school holidays get into an absolute s**t fight with nothing to do with the topic check out the "AFL Evolution" thread in video games.

Just quietly go, then go again with the in-laws. Trust me i want to watch it again. It's pretty good, obviously i'm holding back so much i'd love to talk about and it's painful.

You've be granted membership. Initiation question: Light side or Darkside?
Yeah my brother was telling me that he's very keen to see it a second time. I plan to do the same as I did with Force Awakens and see it once, then take my 5 year old daughter whom I've indoctrinated.

Light vs Dark, I'm somewhat on the fence. Yoda and Obi Wan are awesome, but Anakin is incredibly annoying right up until he's cut in half and barbecued thru terrible dialogue and Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christiansen being horrendous actors. While the Darkside has way more cool tricks, and Darth Maul, Vader and Kylo Ren are all pretty bad ass.

Yeah my brother was telling me that he's very keen to see it a second time. I plan to do the same as I did with Force Awakens and see it once, then take my 5 year old daughter whom I've indoctrinated.

Light vs Dark, I'm somewhat on the fence. Yoda and Obi Wan are awesome, but Anakin is incredibly annoying right up until he's cut in half and barbecued thru terrible dialogue and Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christiansen being horrendous actors. While the Darkside has way more cool tricks, and Darth Maul, Vader and Kylo Ren are all pretty bad ass.
The Force Awakens felt pretty stale to me. Not saying it was a bad movie though. Rogue one does feel different like a breath of fresh air while staying completely true to it's roots, it really expands and builds on stuff and key concepts that while make the movie look good actually beef up the original trilogy. It does give a nice look into the universe as it was and how powerful the empire is, which is a limited in the original movies. The one thing people complain about so far is CGI and honestly it's nothing really, the CGI was quite good and for some scenes they had no other options. I really can't go further onto that without spoilers so i'll leave it there. But honestly, i've seen Avatar, specter and the force awakens and many more movies recent and past and this without a doubt is the best movie i've seen in the cinema

Ranking the movies Empire is my favourite and second on my all time list, but Rogue one for me can easily jump to third if it hasn't already.

On the fence is a good answer, probably where i sit as well. It's easy to see why the darkside can look tempting for those on the light though.

The Force Awakens felt pretty stale to me. Not saying it was a bad movie though. Rogue one does feel different like a breath of fresh air while staying completely true to it's roots, it really expands and builds on stuff and key concepts that while make the movie look good actually beef up the original trilogy. It does give a nice look into the universe as it was and how powerful the empire is, which is a limited in the original movies. The one thing people complain about so far is CGI and honestly it's nothing really, the CGI was quite good and for some scenes they had no other options. I really can't go further onto that without spoilers so i'll leave it there. But honestly, i've seen Avatar, specter and the force awakens and many more movies recent and past and this without a doubt is the best movie i've seen in the cinema

Ranking the movies Empire is my favourite and second on my all time list, but Rogue one for me can easily jump to third if it hasn't already.

On the fence is a good answer, probably where i sit as well. It's easy to see why the darkside can look tempting for those on the light though.
I still really liked Force Awakens, obviously the plot closely mirrors New Hope, but I choose to see that as a "righting of the ship" after the prequels, with Ep8 going in its own direction. But I really enjoyed the look and feel of the way they portrayed the universe etc.

I'll check back in next week when I've seen Rogue One!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've star Wars'd since '80.

Used to have a pirated copy of star wars on VCR when the first came out. In the intro it had a bunch of people interviewed that would tell you how many times they had seen star wars at the movies (some 300-400 times or more). Whilst I never actually saw it at the movies until '83 when we went to see all three in a marathon, I remember thinking; 'Noobs (or whatever the 1980's version of noob was) I've watched this movie at least 3 times a week for years!'

That just made me think, did anyone ever rent Thriller (the MJ music video) from the video shop?

I can't believe you could actually rent an 8-10 minute music video!

TFA was (IMO) a fairly average film. Blatantly copying ANH just to make audiences feel 'nostalgia' was crap, and Rey is a terrible character. Rogue One was much better as a 'Star Wars' film IMO.

Striker475 my fellow Star Warsian, have you seen Rogue one yet? I just saw it tonight and i loved it!

Saw it a couple of days ago.

That's some serious Star Wars. The raging nerd boner for the last 45min generally and the last 5min specifically might now require medical attention.

TFA was (IMO) a fairly average film. Blatantly copying ANH just to make audiences feel 'nostalgia' was crap, and Rey is a terrible character. Rogue One was much better as a 'Star Wars' film IMO.
You summarized the problem perfectly.

The problem is that JJ wad forced into a corner. It had to feel like SW openly. People didn't want political machinations and background - they wanted awesome space battles and a simple plot. So stop-bad-guys-with-Death-Star was tried and true.

The question is what now? Kylo has to finish his training, Rey needs training. The First Order has some sort of fleet. And there's the Knights of Ren. But then, at the end of ANH there wasn't much to go off either.

i don't think rey is a terrible character in fact i thought she was the best in TFA, the one thing i liked from TFA is the new group of characters it established. Rogue one for me was generally engaging from the get go with nostalgia that didn't feel forced, a unique and different story. Set the standard pretty high for other stand alone star wars films.

TFA had to follow the formula that Disney knew people would like. Rogue one had the option to really explore as long as it wrapped up at the end of the movie as expected

Merry Christmas lads and lasses. I hope you have a refreshing break filled with great food, good company and a 4pm nap. If you're driving, drive safe. May Santa bring us all a MFC final in 2017.

Venison is piss easy. Venison loin you cook exactly like roo, and just for slightly less time then a beef fillet. Costs a poultice though. Other bits of venison I will casserole which is hard to really balls up.

I like really good gnocchi too, and I've never mastered it.

Nothing better than fresh venison, the shortloin is obviously great and the tenderloin is perfect for a quick sear, it normally gets eaten first out on the field. They all work well with a really rich sauce like a Chill and Chocolate. Venison also makes a great osso bucco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back