Bumped Random Chat - I want BBQ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah jedinak is better than Grella but outside of that I can't think of any position that's not a massive downgrade.

Only saw the highlights but it looked like the Czechs could have scored 5 had they not missed their chances.

We really need mooy to get the ball in midfield and ping it quickly to Leckie one on one to use his pace. Can't see us doing much else apart from letting Rogic line up the occasional rocket.

Our game plan will have two facets:
  • Try to play Leckie in behind, hope he gets fouled, we get a free kick that Jedinak can have a stab at or we can cross for Cahill to bonce in
  • Play to Rogic's feet, hope he gets fouled, we get a free kick that Jedinak can have a stab at or we can cross for Cahill to bonce in

Pretty depressed with the news about Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain this week. I never had much to do with the work of either, but its really sad seeing people in what should be the prime of their lives feeling as though suicide is the way out. I'm 23, I've dealt with the teenaged angst and I'm apprehensive about the stress that marriages and mortgages will bring in the future. I got a big breakthrough in the job market by chance last year, and quit four months in. I wasn't interested, I was getting sick with an autoimmune/thyroid disorder that I still haven't got under control: I fundamentally couldn't hack it. I'm doing an Honours year now, and performing well, but sitting up at 2am trying to finish an essay that I've out off for the last five days when things were meant to be better.

I've been through my share of shite with my mental health, and on one hand you want to feel proud that you've made it through - on the other you feel aware that it can come back at any time; whenever it wants. At my age, you feel like once you have kids and find a job and do well - you will be content to live the rest of your life. Its hard to see two people who have accomplished so much ending their lives like this. On the other hand, you watch Neale's speech to the group today and you think "* - I can do anything I want", and then you remember that some people have their physical health in order but their mental health is so bad that death becomes the way out.

There's all sorts of s**t going round right now. Look at Avicii, stabbing himself to death with a broken wine bottle. 28, his internal organs ruined from going too hard a decade ago, his wife and kid left behind because he couldn't face life despite the money and fame. The bastard can strike anybody.

Surely more needs to be done about this? Sitting on Facebook tonight having a long chat with the girlfriend about the state of the union, and wondering why this website is so popular. Making people feel a million bucks when things are good, in exchange for feeling like s**t when they realise how much they're missing. They're not actually missing anything, but Facebook is in the business of making you feel jealous that mates caught up and didn't invite you when its a totally normal thing to do.

Surely this isn't how it should be?

Pretty depressed with the news about Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain this week. I never had much to do with the work of either, but its really sad seeing people in what should be the prime of their lives feeling as though suicide is the way out. I'm 23, I've dealt with the teenaged angst and I'm apprehensive about the stress that marriages and mortgages will bring in the future. I got a big breakthrough in the job market by chance last year, and quit four months in. I wasn't interested, I was getting sick with an autoimmune/thyroid disorder that I still haven't got under control: I fundamentally couldn't hack it. I'm doing an Honours year now, and performing well, but sitting up at 2am trying to finish an essay that I've out off for the last five days when things were meant to be better.

I've been through my share of shite with my mental health, and on one hand you want to feel proud that you've made it through - on the other you feel aware that it can come back at any time; whenever it wants. At my age, you feel like once you have kids and find a job and do well - you will be content to live the rest of your life. Its hard to see two people who have accomplished so much ending their lives like this. On the other hand, you watch Neale's speech to the group today and you think "**** - I can do anything I want", and then you remember that some people have their physical health in order but their mental health is so bad that death becomes the way out.

There's all sorts of s**t going round right now. Look at Avicii, stabbing himself to death with a broken wine bottle. 28, his internal organs ruined from going too hard a decade ago, his wife and kid left behind because he couldn't face life despite the money and fame. The bastard can strike anybody.

Surely more needs to be done about this? Sitting on Facebook tonight having a long chat with the girlfriend about the state of the union, and wondering why this website is so popular. Making people feel a million bucks when things are good, in exchange for feeling like s**t when they realise how much they're missing. They're not actually missing anything, but Facebook is in the business of making you feel jealous that mates caught up and didn't invite you when its a totally normal thing to do.

Hang in there bud. When i turned 30, i feel like thats when my life turned a bit. I thought about the fact I've got 1 shot, and all the things I'd put off on the theory that there is plenty of time just became more important. I got a permanent job I didn't hate, decided to focus on being disciplined on certain things (and continued to work on others, often without success). Getting out of a toxic relationship that wrecked the second half of my twenties was the worst at the time, but later makes you feel like life is an empty forward 50m arc, and your Buddy streaming toward the goal.

I think if you can find some meaning in your life it helps. Often people know it but its a way to articulate it. I found Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules book helpful in crystallising a few thoughts I'd always had but never been able to articulate (The thoughts aren't his, they are ancient. This also isn't me advocating for everything he says, I'm not interested in a political discussion). On Facebook.... yep, its something I think you have to make sure you stay on top of. My ex used to always compare her life to the manicured images people created on Instagram. Drove me nuts.

Hope things turn, or stay good in terms of the mental health. I suppose the only good part is the awareness is getting better, as are the treatments and drugs.

Hang in there bud. When i turned 30, i feel like thats when my life turned a bit. I thought about the fact I've got 1 shot, and all the things I'd put off on the theory that there is plenty of time just became more important. I got a permanent job I didn't hate, decided to focus on being disciplined on certain things (and continued to work on others, often without success). Getting out of a toxic relationship that wrecked the second half of my twenties was the worst at the time, but later makes you feel like life is an empty forward 50m arc, and your Buddy streaming toward the goal.

I think if you can find some meaning in your life it helps. Often people know it but its a way to articulate it. I found Jordan Peterson's 12 Rules book helpful in crystallising a few thoughts I'd always had but never been able to articulate (The thoughts aren't his, they are ancient. This also isn't me advocating for everything he says, I'm not interested in a political discussion). On Facebook.... yep, its something I think you have to make sure you stay on top of. My ex used to always compare her life to the manicured images people created on Instagram. Drove me nuts.

Hope things turn, or stay good in terms of the mental health. I suppose the only good part is the awareness is getting better, as are the treatments and drugs.
Cheers mate, appreciate the kind words. Funnily enough, I'm doing well. In a good place mentally, even if I'm not really sure what's next. I'm careful to maintain semi-regular contact with a psychologist, just to check in every couple of months. Just horrified by the suicide crisis, and wondering why its just being accepted au fait

Cheers mate, appreciate the kind words. Funnily enough, I'm doing well. In a good place mentally, even if I'm not really sure what's next. I'm careful to maintain semi-regular contact with a psychologist, just to check in every couple of months. Just horrified by the suicide crisis, and wondering why its just being accepted au fait

Yeah I was listening to the BB4 show Last Words (currently in UK) where they give a rundown of recent deaths.... The Kate Spade one threw me a fair swing.

I think I'm looking at a lot of it, many are high flying people who seemingly have everything. Its making me feel a lot more content with less, and thinking maybe a family is a much better thing for one's health than only career/money.

As for how its taken... beats me. I guess people have killed themselves in one way or another since day dot. While the attitude to mental health is changing, the end result I guess we still see it the same way we always have.

I’ve just finished reading a book about Elvis by one of his friends, Jerry Schiller. If anyone had it all it was Elvis but he wasn’t content. It said to me that happiness has to come from internal things. In my book being happy has a lot to do with being content. And being content is about now, not how things will be once you get the new car/house/job/girlfriend/boyfriend.
The happiest people I know are kids and all they really care about is right now. And while I know this I truly do not live in the moment.
My advice is to change your internal dialogue from a doubting critic to something you would hear from your best mate. Do that and your set. I haven’t managed it yet though ;-)
Kumbaya.

And Tulip beyond the attitude stuff, if you’re prone to depression stay away from alcohol and try to keep up some regular exercise. Speaking from hard won experience.

I've been through my share of shite with my mental health, and on one hand you want to feel proud that you've made it through - on the other you feel aware that it can come back at any time; whenever it wants. At my age, you feel like once you have kids and find a job and do well - you will be content to live the rest of your life. Its hard to see two people who have accomplished so much ending their lives like this. On the other hand, you watch Neale's speech to the group today and you think "**** - I can do anything I want", and then you remember that some people have their physical health in order but their mental health is so bad that death becomes the way out.

The thing with Facebook and Insta is that you need to remember its a curated view of life. You don't see the s**t. Its like an ad. Just remember that you aren't seeing the hard work, the struggle behind those photos.

Its closer to an advertisement than anything. But it doesn't count for much in the real world.

I think I'm looking at a lot of it, many are high flying people who seemingly have everything. Its making me feel a lot more content with less
This seems key. I was keen to treat myself last week, and was choosing between a good bottle of gin and the pair of white Adidas' I've had my eye on for a while. Long story short, got the shoes on Monday, wore them that day, and haven't worn them since. Granted, that's because its been raining and I don't want to * them, but the happiness that I got from having them lasted a few hours before they became just another item that I own. Onto what comes next.

... Surely this isn't how it should be?
It's been an awful week hasn't it?

And old friend of mine passed away yesterday, he wasn't a close friend but super talented, warm, and very much loved. Suicide as well I believe- such a huge loss.

Anyway: I live a blessed life but I've had more than my share of dark times as well.

If anyone ever feels like everything's too much and chatting to a stranger might help, send me a PM!

PS: I don't think Avicii had a wife and kids? Was a total legend though (but I hate his music). The documentary on him is supposed to be really good.

My advice is, don't close you mind to anything until you have properly investigated something and are making an educated decision. I found something that gave my life meaning, direction and happiness that I would have never considered. I am by nature a skeptic and a natural born hater but have learnt that knowledge is power, in that it gives you insight into something you would normally eliminate based on preconceived ideas/bias. By knowledge, I don't mean from a scholastic point of view, I find academic knowledge is full of bias, I mean investigate something yourself and see if it presents any value to you personally or if it merits further investigation because, what might give you purpose might not be what you think it should.

So much of our thinking is based on the principal that if you accumulate possessions or have a 'good job' and so on, happiness will follow. How can an inanimate objects or completing an assigned task for money do that? Some task or asset based satisfaction, yes, fulfilling your life goals, no. My mentality with work is this: Earn as much as possible in as little time as possible and dedicate the rest of your time to what you are actually passionate about. I guess for some people it is their work but I don't get that, getting paid to do something seems to dilute the 'I do it because I love it' reasoning. Yes, I understand if you're trying to cure cancer or play professional sport there are scales of importance but for the most part work is exactly that - work. If it was purely for enjoyment it'd be called play.

Life does't have to be complicated, we tend to do that to ourselves and pay the price for it.

My advice is, don't close you mind to anything until you have properly investigated something and are making an educated decision. I found something that gave my life meaning, direction and happiness that I would have never considered. I am by nature a skeptic and a natural born hater but have learnt that knowledge is power, in that it gives you insight into something you would normally eliminate based on preconceived ideas/bias. By knowledge, I don't mean from a scholastic point of view, I find academic knowledge is full of bias, I mean investigate something yourself and see if it presents any value to you personally or if it merits further investigation because, what might give you purpose might not be what you think it should.

So much of our thinking is based on the principal that if you accumulate possessions or have a 'good job' and so on, happiness will follow. How can an inanimate objects or completing an assigned task for money do that? Some task or asset based satisfaction, yes, fulfilling your life goals, no. My mentality with work is this: Earn as much as possible in as little time as possible and dedicate the rest of your time to what you are actually passionate about. I guess for some people it is their work but I don't get that, getting paid to do something seems to dilute the 'I do it because I love it' reasoning. Yes, I understand if you're trying to cure cancer or play professional sport there are scales of importance but for the most part work is exactly that - work. If it was purely for enjoyment it'd be called play.

Life does't have to be complicated, we tend to do that to ourselves and pay the price for it.
Is a great call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not one of your funnier jokes but a good effort. (emoji)

Not one of your funnier jokes but a good effort. (emoji)
I’ll try for this then. I have had quite a bit of cancer in my family over the last 20 years and have lost a couple of family members to it. So I decided to coin the following phrase:

‘Cancer, it’s not just a star sign.’

You better bloody like this! It’s black but it’s funny, unlike cancer. ;)

I bought milo ice cream today. I never generally eat desert but it was an impulse because it was in a nice green tub and I thought yeah - milo ice cream.

It was okay but I think that thing I used to do as a kid by getting some normal Peters vanilla scooped in a big bowl and then making it more interesting by sprinkling spoons of milo over it is actually better.

Movies for Proper Gander to watch if you haven't already:
  • Life of pie - I almost hate every movie I watch but really liked this. Mrs Crim didn't think it was as good as I did but have spoken to a few and it seems to resonate more with men.
  • Schindlers list - When you feel like being depressed give it a go. Sounds stupid to say that but sometimes we feel a little mellon collie and this is the movie for those days.
  • Once upon a time in the west - Strang way they filmed this movie but great.
  • The good, the bad and the ugly - Another awesome western as is its sequel 'a fist full of dollars' and 'a few dollars' more is good too.
  • Dances with wolves - Another set in the west, good movie.
  • Jaws - The special effect are dated but a great movie. I saw it as a child and I kind you not, to this day if I can't see the bottom of the ocean my mind goes straight to 'Well, I've had a good life.'
  • Raiders of the lost ark - The next two in the trilogy are also awesome. The 4th not so much.
  • Ben Hur - One of the original 'epics' set aside half a day.
  • Hard times - The best Charles Bronson movie. Don't know what it is but it resonates with me. Perhaps it because its set during the depression which both in the US and Australia would have been a fascinating time to live through.
  • The silence of the lambs - Hopkins is awesome.
  • The fifth element - Movie was originally canned by critics but now has a cult following.
  • Pulp fiction
That will keep you going for now. Which of these have you seen and what did you think of them?

• Life of pie - I almost hate every movie I watch but really liked this. Mrs Crim didn't think it was as good as I did but have spoken to a few and it seems to resonate more with men.
  • Schindlers list - When you feel like being depressed give it a go. Sounds stupid to say that but sometimes we feel a little mellon collie and this is the movie for those days.
  • The good, the bad and the ugly - Another awesome western as is its sequel 'a fist full of dollars' and 'a few dollars' more is good too.
  • Jaws - The special effect are dated but a great movie. I saw it as a child and I kind you not, to this day if I can't see the bottom of the ocean my mind goes straight to 'Well, I've had a good life.'
  • Raiders of the lost ark - The next two in the trilogy are also awesome. The 4th not so much.
  • Hard times - The best Charles Bronson movie. Don't know what it is but it resonates with me. Perhaps it because its set during the depression which both in the US and Australia would have been a fascinating time to live through.
  • The fifth element - Movie was originally canned by critics but now has a cult following.
  • Pulp fiction
That will keep you going for now. Which of these have you seen and what did you think of them?

Some cracking films there, and a couple I'll have to watch. You'd hope most people over 25 would have seen a fair few of those.
  • 3:10 to Yuma (2007) - rare quality modern Western, also has the Ennio Morricone soundtrack as per the Sergio Leone films.
  • Alien - from 1979 but the special effects still stand up and it was a trail blazer for Sci Fi at the time. Also great seeing people fly space ships with computers that have less processing power than an Atari.
  • American History X - put your teeth on the curb.
  • Being John Malkovich - Acquired taste, I guess. Weird but awesome.
  • Brazil - Terry Gilliam film, also weird, but quality.
  • Casablanca - given.
  • Charlie Wilson's War - hilariously cynical.
  • Donnie Darko - haven't watched it for a while, but was one of my favourites back in the day.
  • Dr Strangelove - probably already mentioned somewhere here, but is a must see.
  • Evil Dead trilogy - transitions from horror to comedy, but peak Bruce Campbell. Second is my favourite.
  • Falling Down - quality Michael Douglas.
  • Gattaca
  • Glengarry Glenross - ABC, Always Be Closing, coffee is for winners.
  • In Bruges - starts slow, but changes pace and is hilarious. And sweary, if that bothers you.
  • Logan - X Men movie filmed like a western. Different feel to the usual guff.
  • Mad Max (the original) - Roger Ward!! Also, Mel Gibson.
  • Memento - mandatory viewing.
  • Miller's Crossing - already mentioned this one, but worth going over again.
  • No Country for Old Men - Javier Bardem kills everything interspersed with Cormac McCarthy dialogue.
  • Re-Animator - one of the great mad scientist movies. Also has Barbara Crampton's rig in it, for those who enjoy Barbara Crampton's rig.
  • Seven Samurai - Kurosawa, a long one, but excellent. Will recognize the plot if you've seen any of the Magnificent Seven remakes.
  • Thank You For Smoking - another cynical comedy.
  • The Ox-Bow Incident - oldy but a goody. Probably more relevant now given some of the recent judgmental trial-by-media we get these days.
  • The Thing - another classic sci-fi / horror movie. John Carpenter's best.
  • There Will Be Blood - no dialogue for the first 30 minutes, long movie, just Daniel Day Lewis being awesome. Loooooong moofy.
  • Watchmen - good adaptation of the graphic novel.

Yes, I did just go through my collection and pluck out some of my favourites.

• Pulp fiction
I have seen all of those other than Once Upon a Time in the West, Hard Times and The Fifth Element. That’s and excellent list. A fair few are due a rewatch by me.

I also like the classic era Woody Allen movies like Annie Hall and Hannah and her Sisters but I’m probably too hung over to cope with 15 NY Jewish persons in a room talking over the top of each other today. I thought Life of Pi was terrific but that’s probably because I like big cats.

Some cracking films there, and a couple I'll have to watch. You'd hope most people over 25 would have seen a fair few of those.
  • 3:10 to Yuma (2007) - rare quality modern Western, also has the Ennio Morricone soundtrack as per the Sergio Leone films.
  • Alien - from 1979 but the special effects still stand up and it was a trail blazer for Sci Fi at the time. Also great seeing people fly space ships with computers that have less processing power than an Atari.
  • American History X - put your teeth on the curb.
  • Being John Malkovich - Acquired taste, I guess. Weird but awesome.
  • Brazil - Terry Gilliam film, also weird, but quality.
  • Casablanca - given.
  • Charlie Wilson's War - hilariously cynical.
  • Donnie Darko - haven't watched it for a while, but was one of my favourites back in the day.
  • Dr Strangelove - probably already mentioned somewhere here, but is a must see.
  • Evil Dead trilogy - transitions from horror to comedy, but peak Bruce Campbell. Second is my favourite.
  • Falling Down - quality Michael Douglas.
  • Gattaca
  • Glengarry Glenross - ABC, Always Be Closing, coffee is for winners.
  • In Bruges - starts slow, but changes pace and is hilarious. And sweary, if that bothers you.
  • Logan - X Men movie filmed like a western. Different feel to the usual guff.
  • Mad Max (the original) - Roger Ward!! Also, Mel Gibson.
  • Memento - mandatory viewing.
  • Miller's Crossing - already mentioned this one, but worth going over again.
  • No Country for Old Men - Javier Bardem kills everything interspersed with Cormac McCarthy dialogue.
  • Re-Animator - one of the great mad scientist movies. Also has Barbara Crampton's rig in it, for those who enjoy Barbara Crampton's rig.
  • Seven Samurai - Kurosawa, a long one, but excellent. Will recognize the plot if you've seen any of the Magnificent Seven remakes.
  • Thank You For Smoking - another cynical comedy.
  • The Ox-Bow Incident - oldy but a goody. Probably more relevant now given some of the recent judgmental trial-by-media we get these days.
  • The Thing - another classic sci-fi / horror movie. John Carpenter's best.
  • There Will Be Blood - no dialogue for the first 30 minutes, long movie, just Daniel Day Lewis being awesome. Loooooong moofy.
  • Watchmen - good adaptation of the graphic novel.

Yes, I did just go through my collection and pluck out some of my favourites.
I’ve seen fewer than half of them - but those I’m familiar with go a long way to confirming your essential twistedness.

Now I’ve got a couple of lists I’m taking my hangover to the DFO jb hi fi to buy movies. Of course I could probably stream a bunch of these but for some reason I still also like buying dvds. You can put them on a shelf and go “look at all those dvds”. It’s comforting somehow. Same with downloading music - it never feels quite the same as browsing cds at a music store. Actually forget cds - buying actual records was the best. I might become a hipster and buy a record player and spend my time getting takeaway espressos and flipping though dusty boxes of albums in Brunswick.

Nick Kyrgios fined 23k for simulating a sex act on a water bottle a day after he was confronted by a reporter about swearing. His response, "do you swear?" "Cool, great question"

Love it.
People were apparently 'horrified'. Legit hilarious though, this fake world we portray on TV is silly. Let s**t campaigners be s**t campaigners I say!

Nick Kyrgios fined 23k for simulating a sex act on a water bottle a day after he was confronted by a reporter about swearing. His response, "do you swear?" "Cool, great question"

Love it.
People were apparently 'horrified'. Legit hilarious though, this fake world we portray on TV is silly. Let s**t campaigners be s**t campaigners I say!
You should go into politics.

I hadn’t heard this latest on Nick. I’m a bit confused. Was the swearing thing somehow connected to the water bottle thing. Also what the ... is that about? Actually don’t worry, I’m going to hunt the information down online.

You should go into politics.

I hadn’t heard this latest on Nick. I’m a bit confused. Was the swearing thing somehow connected to the water bottle thing. Also what the ... is that about? Actually don’t worry, I’m going to hunt the information down online.
Hey if Trump can get in everyone's a shot now.

Nah swearing was in one match and the BBC had to apologise to it's listeners, then the very next match he wanked his water bottle and sprayed it lol and the BBC had to apologise again.
Found out he was also caught playing the circle game with his coaches during the match lol. To me it's quality gold.

Sports way too serious, it's a microcosm of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back