Play Nice Random Chat Thread: Episode III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some heartbreaking stories coming out of yesterday’s fire activity on the Mid-North Coast. This dash cam footage from one of our trucks shows the extremely challenging fire behaviour and terrain crews were faced with, in this instance, while attempting to reach remote properties to search for people. The water you can see streaming down the windscreen is our ‘overrun’ sprays, designed to prevent the truck from catching fire itself in such situations.

Only recently relocated to the mid north coast and may well be in the firing line tomorrow. Personally I’m on the edge of the predicted area that might be at risk.

I’m on the fence with climate change but it’s interesting talking to some of the locals up here. Even some of the most staunch non conspirator types believe that the climate is significantly different from 25-30 years ago.

Have you made a fire plan? If not do one now. See this post if you like and the NSW RFS website.

If I'd seen your post last night I would have mentioned it then... good luck if anything happens and if you haven't prepared what'll you will do if the fire is on your door step do it as soon as you read this.

Some heartbreaking stories coming out of yesterday’s fire activity on the Mid-North Coast. This dash cam footage from one of our trucks shows the extremely challenging fire behaviour and terrain crews were faced with, in this instance, while attempting to reach remote properties to search for people. The water you can see streaming down the windscreen is our ‘overrun’ sprays, designed to prevent the truck from catching fire itself in such situations.

One of those trees go down and they were toast (literally). I’m not a religious person but someone or something was looking over them in that scenario! Having nothing but utmost respect and appreciation for our volunteer firies!

Have you made a fire plan? If not do one now. See this post if you like and the NSW RFS website.

If I'd seen your post last night I would have mentioned it then... good luck if anything happens and if you haven't prepared what'll you will do if the fire is on your door step do it as soon as you read this.

Yep. All sorted Ferbs, if any front gets within a few km’s I’ll be evacuating my family and a few of my elderly neighbours.

I have no experience fighting fires and have no intention on learning how to do it in catastrophic conditions.

Yep. All sorted Ferbs, if any front gets within a few km’s I’ll be evacuating my family and a few of my elderly neighbours.

I have no experience fighting fires and have no intention on learning how to do it in catastrophic conditions.

Good one. Take care, try and stay safe and I hope you don't have to do anything after all.

One of those trees go down and they were toast (literally). I’m not a religious person but someone or something was looking over them in that scenario! Having nothing but utmost respect and appreciation for our volunteer firies!

I've got a feeling one of those people has life changing injuries. Hopefully she'll still have use of their arms. I dunno ... this isn't official or anything but if ****ed up for her. We were up a trail that day and we to do 30 point turns in the only possible spot under a burning hollow tree that would have done the same to us. This s**t happens all the time but usually nothing falls on you.

My hats off to those people.

That's actually fairly cruisy in comparison to the front that went thru there. Might be lucky to survive even the cab sprays on. The actual flame heights that went thru there would have been at least 3X the tree height.

If we get any footage like that i'll post it. I thought I had some the other day but it was just smoke when I played it back. :rolleyes:

Indeed.

I don't wipe my arse in the morning without checking in with "the mayor of Glen Innes" to see if I am doing it correctly.

Welcome to the echo chamber.

How is it an echo chamber?

She has the lived experience, with the facts and figures to back it up.

What did she say that is incorrect?

The mayor of Glen Innes:

I’ll put my 20-year Rural Fire Service medal up against your free advice any day of the week.

The anger is real. The anger is justified. Because this disaster was all foreseen and predicted. For decades the link between a hotter, drier climate, land-clearing, excessive irrigation and increased fire risk have all been attested in scientific papers.

Equally for decades there have been those who insist they know better. Their ignorance and arrogance have delivered us only ashes...

You want an echo chamber...

I'll put my 20 year medal^ next to hers.

And say exactly the same thing.

Not only that... Every one of my members with more than a decades experience has said exactly the same. We have been saying it for months.

We all knew this was coming.

We've been warning you for years. Why didn't you *en well listen???

^I don't have one. I'm just entitled to one (and a few others too) but aren't in this for the bullshit plaudits and i'm not signing my own nomination forms. I don't even turn up to the medal presentations for the ones I've got. (That someone else nominated me for.)

The member for New England said on Sky News that the two people who died in bushfires, he said, “I acknowledge that the two people who died were most likely people who voted for the Green Party so I’m not going to start attacking them. That’s the last thing I want to do.”

I must say that Beetrooter 'Drunken Sot' Joyce is an absolute campaigner.

Too soon to talk about climate change, but happy to see people die if they vote for someone else besides him.

Abag, bet he is an * supporter.

Why? Do you believe one of the alternative theories?

I believe the science and not the selective purveyors peddling the stuff without the slightest skerrick of realistic evaluation.

To answer your question, the world is in fact becoming greener as CO2 levels rise (which should be obvious to you), and your correlation is ignorant.

It could be a forestry oversight issue, a freak weather pattern or any number of complicated factors.

How is it an echo chamber?

She has the lived experience, with the facts and figures to back it up.

What did she say that is incorrect?

I'm stating the she wouldn't have a clue, and you should source better information..

The mayor of Glen Innes:

You want an echo chamber...

I'll put my 20 year medal^ next to hers.

And say exactly the same thing.

Not only that... Every one of my members with more than a decades experience has said exactly the same. We have been saying it for months.

We all knew this was coming.

We've been warning you for years. Why didn't you fu**en well listen???

^I don't have one. I'm just entitled to one (and a few others too) but aren't in this for the bullshit plaudits and i'm not signing my own nomination forms. I don't even turn up to the medal presentations for the ones I've got. (That someone else nominated me for.)
Do you want a ******* medal mate?

Right-o, apparently you don't. Carry on then!

Do you want a ******* medal mate?

Right-o, apparently you don't. Carry on then!

Wielding a hose and chopping down shrubs is very scientific work mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe the science and not the selective purveyors peddling the stuff without the slightest skerrick of realistic evaluation.

To answer your question, the world is in fact becoming greener as CO2 levels rise (which should be obvious to you), and your correlation is ignorant.

It could be a forestry oversight issue, a freak weather pattern or any number of complicated factors.

I'm stating the she wouldn't have a clue, and you should source better information..

What about N2O?

Snake and Groin: You ought to both be ashamed of yourselves. He's already said he's not doing it for any medals, and chopping down shrubs and wielding a hose is saving people's homes and potentially their lives right now. And all without pay either. He's volunteering his time, and at great personal risk, while you two just sit on your useless arses and insult him. You're not fit to wipe his shoes.

Thank you ferball, for everything you're doing to help. I hope you, and everyone on your crew stays safe.

And no, I'm not freaking "virtue signalling", so don't even bloody go there.

Snake and Groin: You ought to both be ashamed of yourselves.

I don't have your emotional limitations.

He's already said he's not doing it for any medals, and chopping down shrubs and wielding a hose is saving people's homes and potentially their lives right now. And all without pay either. He's volunteering his time, and at great personal risk, while you two just sit on your useless arses and insult him. You're not fit to wipe his shoes.

Thank you ferball, for everything you're doing to help. I hope you, and everyone on your crew stays safe.

Utilising a time in the fire service as some type of imprimatur to reinforce an existing false argumentum ab auctoritate, only serves to compound the original fallacy.

Ferby is a big boy. He'll live.

Snake and Groin: You ought to both be ashamed of yourselves. He's already said he's not doing it for any medals, and chopping down shrubs and wielding a hose is saving people's homes and potentially their lives right now. And all without pay either. He's volunteering his time, and at great personal risk, while you two just sit on your useless arses and insult him. You're not fit to wipe his shoes.

c35.gif

:$

Fact is he's out there volunteering his time to help people, at potentially considerable risk to his own well-being, and all you can do is sit on here and condescendingly mock him. Some jokes just really aren't that funny, and I doubt anyone whose home is burning right now would think much of what you're doing. Have some common decency.

I think GG's was just a joke SN. No malice in that one. It might be an Aussie phrase though?

Anyway I agree that ferby is top quality. 👍

I think GG's was just a joke SN. No malice in that one. It might be an Aussie phrase though?

Anyway I agree that ferby is top quality. 👍

Groin walks a fine line on here with his "jokes". There's usually an undercurrent to them, but he tries to cover it. Either way, what ferbs is doing, and what people in those fire-ravaged areas are going through deserves a little more respect. Especially from people who aren't doing anything to help.

Fact is he's out there volunteering his time to help people, at potentially considerable risk to his own well-being, and all you can do is sit on here and condescendingly mock him. Some jokes just really aren't that funny, and I doubt anyone whose home is burning right now would think much of what you're doing. Have some common decency.
When did I mock him exactly?

I have the utmost respect for volunteers, especially during the trying times. Rallying together and pitching in is the Australian way.

I do love when you get all high and mighty though. It's a nice way to prop yourself up. Quite malicious as well given you know full well I volunteer and am responsible for putting food on the tables of people in third world countries - not throwing money at it either, legitimate long term solutions (something I don't bring up every second week like you do :$). But conveniently ignore those things so you can continue making yourself come across like an angel at the expense of Snake and myself.

When did I mock him exactly?

I have the utmost respect for volunteers, especially during the trying times. Rallying together and pitching in is the Australian way.

I do love when you get all high and mighty though. It's a nice way to prop yourself up. Quite malicious as well given you know full well I volunteer and am responsible for putting food on the tables of people in third world countries - not throwing money at it either, legitimate long term solutions (something I don't bring up every second week like you do :$). But conveniently ignore those things so you can continue making yourself come across like an angel at the expense of Snake and myself.

In your above post about the medal.

And yeah, I know you volunteer. Once a week at an animal shelter, and then for some people in Venezuela, if I remember correctly. But I could have it wrong, and please correct me if I do.

It still doesn't give you license to condescend about people's homes burning, and those who are trying to help them. Nothing that is happening up there right now is a situation to laugh about, nor are the people fighting it.

Your childish emotional stunts don't work on me.

If you persist with it in regards to quoting me from now on, then you are simply engaging in virtue signalling.

In your above post about the medal.

And yeah, I know you volunteer. Once a week at an animal shelter, and then for some people in Venezuela, if I remember correctly. But I could have it wrong, and please correct me if I do.

It still doesn't give you license to condescend about people's homes burning, and those who are trying to help them. Nothing that is happening up there right now is a situation to laugh about, nor are the people fighting it.
:drunk: Little more than "some people" - non-pissing into the wind work. And that was a private DM. I'd prefer the details to be kept that way.

It wasn't condescending at all. It was a joke that you felt the need to jump into so you could take a moment and let BigFooty know just how much you appreciate the effort of ferbs and other volunteers (as if that wasn't the default for everyone in here anyway) + getting an extra jab in at Snake and myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back