Autopsy 2021 Rd 10: 2 point loss to Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd was great, underrated and maligned as *. As was Dawson.

Buddy still our best player at half pace and worth every cent. Made plenty here eat crow and if he never plays another minute the facts remain as they are.

One quarter of poor footy cost us the cookies. So be it.

At the start of the year would have taken this year to date and result in a heartbeat.

Get Logan in. May as well learn on the job.

They are fun to watch if frustrating at times. Greatly improved. Horse has changed. Credit to him and proved me wrong.

Carry on.

Lead by mccartin. He was deplorable tonight. Someone check his blood sugar levels incase it runs in the family because his attempted spoils were a good few metres away from the drop of the ball tonight (aka lobbs mitts)

Spoken like a person who has never seen Lobb play. When he is timing his leaps like he was last night, it is almost nigh on impossible to spoil (including the third man up).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So it seems like in recent years we haven't served much of a purpose in Perth other than to make Fremantle look like a top 8 side and get Buddy closer to the 1,000 goal mark. :p (On a serious note, his average of 7 goals a game at Optus Stadium is the most compelling case for it to be re-named 'Franklin Stadium'.)

No sugar-coating what I thought was a pretty bad loss. I thought our first quarter was strong, and that run in the second where Papley, Warner and Yesterdays News all goaled was exciting. Other than that it felt like there wasn't a clear game-plan. (And no I'm not blaming coaching solely for this. It was a myriad of issues.)

I thought there were four clear issues though that pretty much persisted, give or take, the entire match:

1. Our forward line was dysfunctional. It seems our sweet spot is when Buddy is neither a dominant force (as he was tonight and vs GWS) or a passenger (as he was vs Melbourne), but when he is just one of a handful of good contributors in the forward 50.

2. Our defenders lacked composure. I'm not keen on knocking them as they were under the pump all night, fought tirelessly, and racked up a heap of the ball. But geez they didn't seem to learn from the dump kick out of defence. It was like Groundhog Day in the second half watching them try the exact same method over and over and expecting different results. Naming no names as I felt there was no single culprit worse than the rest. Credit to Freo though their pressure was top notch and they always set up well defensively.

3. Our midfield was sorta doomed to fail. The kids aren't ready to lead the midfield, so it was definitely a night for the veterans. JPK & Parker were huge and showed incredible ticker. Unfortunately the difference between those two and the Mundy & Fyfe combination was just pretty clear. Freo's dynamic midfielders were their battle-hardened, bullocking veterans. Our dynamic midfielders are 19/20 year olds with TOG% in the low 70s. No one's fault, but that was the story of the midfield IMO and why we just don't match up well with this team. Hickey not at 100% didn't help either.

4. There was a lack of real intensity and work rate about the boys last night. We gave our opponents so much time and space and allowed them to take uncontested marks all over the field; yet when it was our turn to possess the ball, we had a Docker hanging off us like the piece of toilet paper stuck to your pants every time. That to me is just a sign of a team that was working harder. But it felt like Freo had that extra bit of motivation being on their home deck with the crowd behind them, while we were sort of looking for motivation to materialise and even things like Buddy highlights reels just couldn't get the boys up and about like they usually would.

Oh well. Onto next week. We should win it. As I've said before, with this team and where we're at, I think we can take just as much out of how we respond to a loss as we can from a good win!

Last edited:

Got way too little from Heeney, Hayward, Papley, McLean and Blakey, as well as the maggots where holding the ball and illegal disposal are concerned.
You can add Dawson and Stephens to that list. Just a few too many passengers last night. Hewett acquitted himself well as did Florent, Lloyd and Cunningham. Mills was great but switched off in q3. Buddy was solid. Umps were kind to him.

Even after Taberner went off, McCartin didn’t shift to Lobb - which I found a bit odd.

Another observation - we do lack an intercepting defender. But no, I’m not going to start on about Aliir.
Ideally, McLean becomes a star and Reid can be our intercept defender. Such a bummer that he was a no show last night.

You can add Dawson and Stephens to that list. Just a few too many passengers last night. Hewett acquitted himself well as did Florent, Lloyd and Cunningham. Mills was great but switched off in q3. Buddy was solid. Umps were kind to him.
Dawson ! WTFDWFTC

Dawson was very good apart from that one spoil when he should have marked towards the end.

Ideally, McLean becomes a star and Reid can be our intercept defender. Such a bummer that he was a no show last night.
McLean will not become a star.

To be even serviceable, he needs a lot more effort than what I saw last night.

There can be no excuse for a key forward not sprinting to make a contest. Or just loitering whilst his teammate got sandwiched. Which happened on several occasions.

I don’t criticise players who make mistakes whilst busting a gut. But players not putting in 100% is a different matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ps. Our media team have uploaded the last two minutes clip onto the Swans site. What absolute sadists.
Thought you would only do that after winning....!!!!!

Ehhhh, look it was disappointing, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water.

We won 3 quarters, lost 1. The difference was that when we won a quarter they kicked some goals and stayed in it. In comparison when they dominated we scored 0.1.

We've made many games too difficult with turning off for quarter and needing a break to get back into it, we will learn and grow.

I don't feel like rewatching it, but did Florent really have another viable option? He could have gone shorter, but it seemed that everyone was too close to each other and covered pretty well. I might be wrong, but it felt like any kick into the forward line would have probably resulted in a spoil.

I don't feel like rewatching it, but did Florent really have another viable option? He could have gone shorter, but it seemed that everyone was too close to each other and covered pretty well. I might be wrong, but it felt like any kick into the forward line would have probably resulted in a spoil.
The 1 minute sign was being waved frantically on the bench & whilst there was perhaps a degree of panic involved, there weren’t other “easy” options available.

For all Florent knew, it was the last play of the game.

Definitely had an option. Heeney and Hayward were open.. Would have been nice if he kicked it to Heeney and banged it through after the siren, Hayward would have probably missed anyway. I'm sure Florence will learn a huge lesson from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back