Richmond v Collingwood - Rd 20, 2016 - 7:50 @ MCG

Who will win?

• Richmond

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 41 51.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That selective use of stats can 'prove' whatever you like? No, you did a very good job on that.

Firstly, my use of "our team was younger" was correct. Marginally younger, yes, but younger. And I didn't use it as a dick-measuring contest as you thought, I used it to highlight how the decline of a raft of our senior players has resulted in the necessary use of a bunch of our kids - which has, in turn, contributed to some of our shoddy performances this year.

Secondly, the point of my entire post was that Richmond's core group is older than Collingwood's. That point remains and is bang on. I then used that to argue that time is on Collingwood's side, but the man in charge is our problem.

Thirdly, **** off.

This year has shown that our senior brigade isn't good enough.
As a Richmond supporter watching last night, you've probably never seen a younger team take the field.

Appreciate the effort you've gone to, but on the bolded...

|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014|2015|2016| Career
\Hardwick|23.15|23.19|23.93|25.00|24.88|25.11|24.86| 24.29
\Buckley|||24.28|25.19|24.73|24.18|24.35| 24.55
As a rule of thumb, by ~25 your team should be playing finals if everything is kosher.

Hardwick's actually got a 77% record (34 from 44) when older than the opposition. That strike rate has taken a hit this year which signals trouble, and he's rightly turning over the team from the bottom end. Buckley on the other hand seems to have made a couple of pushes whilst remaining out of the finals for four consecutive years.

Both teams are relatively young in the current scheme of things (but not exceptionally so like Melbourne which has overtaken them both). It's keeping both coaches alive. Barely.

Last edited:

'Full rebuild required' is standard fare. An old-style Richmond revolution would blot out the sun in today's hyper-sensationalised media coverage, and the board challenge story sent them into a frenzy. Even the umpires seemed to catch a whiff of insanity. Opinions on what Richmond needs to do have covered the full spectrum, and not many have been well thought out.
"Imagine the chaos at Punt Road if Richmond lose tonight"umpire.
"I know right" replied the second ump with a cheeky grin.
Go out on the ground and gift Collingwood 4 goals.

"Imagine the chaos at Punt Road if Richmond lose tonight"umpire.
"I know right" replied the second ump with a cheeky grin.
Go out on the ground and gift Collingwood 4 goals.
You sound like a WCE supporter.

Back