Game Day Richmond v Geelong, Preliminary Finals — Fri 20 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah to think this contest will resemble round 12 you'd have to be tremendously optimistic. It's obvious the Richmond side now is completely different, as is Geelong. No excuses. Cats with a slim chance, and perhaps they can take somethinh from that game, but imo an upset would equal or surpass last year's.

Bigfooty nuffies aren't a true representation of anything, by your reasoning Geelong supporters are all gay haters who threaten to stab people on the reg like you do.
Back to the Richmond day board.

Yeah to think this contest will resemble round 12 you'd have to be tremendously optimistic. It's obvious the Richmond side now is completely different, as is Geelong. No excuses. Cats with a slim chance, and perhaps they can take somethinh from that game, but imo an upset would equal or surpass last year's.

This match will go as expected (Richmond thumping Geelong)

The upset of the weekend will be GWS smashing Collingwood.

Tigers supporters should temper themselves a bit. Preliminary finals are always 50-50. Sure Richmond's form has been better but Geelong when up and purring are a quality side and swept all aside in the first half of the year. It seemed to click last week against WC, so they will have their confidence back, a big factor in finals. Almost sure this will be an absolute cracker of a final.
Geelong are a good side and it's no shame to lose to them closely tomorrow, but it'd be very disappointing if Richmond only make 1 Grand Final in 3 consecutive years of hosting a PF. I think Richmond will win because they tend to not disappoint twice in a row nowadays (i.e. losing to Geelong twice or losing a PF twice in a row). They've shown that they are good at learning from their losses. It's certainly not a lock, but I'd be surprised and disappointed if they mess up a GF appearance again.

Richmond have won 10 games in a row since their bye with only 1 of the wins being less than 27 points whereas Geelong have gone LWLWLWLWLWLW (6-6) since the bye and have won half of the games Richmond did in their last 10. As we found out the hard way last year, early season form means less than your form at the end of the year. Additionally, Richmond are pretty much full strength (Rance is not included as he wasn't really a part of the on-field journey) whereas Geelong are not with Duncan (23 games in 2019) and Hawkins (24 games) on the sidelines. Again, it doesn't mean that we will win because you just don't know with finals, but I think we are at least in a better place for a GF berth than last year.

Geelong are a good side and it's no shame to lose to them closely tomorrow, but it'd be very disappointing if Richmond only make 1 Grand Final in 3 consecutive years of hosting a PF. I think Richmond will win because they tend to not disappoint twice in a row nowadays (i.e. losing to Geelong twice or losing a PF twice in a row). They've shown that they are good at learning from their losses. It's certainly not a lock, but I'd be surprised and disappointed if they mess up a GF appearance again.

Richmond have won 10 games in a row since their bye with only 1 of the wins being less than 27 points whereas Geelong have gone LWLWLWLWLWLW (6-6) since the bye and have won half of the games Richmond did in their last 10. As we found out the hard way last year, early season form means less than your form at the end of the year. Additionally, Richmond are pretty much full strength (Rance is not included as he wasn't really a part of the on-field journey) whereas Geelong are not with Duncan (23 games in 2019) and Hawkins (24 games) on the sidelines. Again, it doesn't mean that we will win because you just don't know with finals, but I think we are at least in a better place for a GF berth than last year.
I just wanted to point out to the other Tigers supporters in this thread, this post is how you talk your own team up without being a cocky douche bag. Learn from Lsta062

If I was Tiger, apart from the instant lowering of IQ and shrinkage of vocabulary, I would also be concerned about the all-ground Cats defense which has been quite fantastic the last 3 weeks at the ends of games. The Tiges may be able to break the lines early but the Cats seem to bring it late in games. Tigers CP are weak and can be exploited. It is a 50/50 game and if Scott can control his shrill caterwaul, and the Tiges feel nervous after being shamed and disgraced this time last year, it will be fun.

Richmond in rare form, only missing 1 player from their best 22 out, gonna be extremely hard to beat its their premiership to lose
G'day Bucks.

Haven't you got more important things to do other than troll BF?

Bigfooty nuffies aren't a true representation of anything, by your reasoning Geelong supporters are all gay haters who threaten to stab people on the reg like you do.
So all of the Geelong posters specifically on Bigfooty are gay haters and threaten to stab people? lolwat

So all of the Geelong posters specifically on Bigfooty are gay haters and threaten to stab people? lolwat

He was pointing out your double standard. Look at the trash your peeps have been saying about all RFC posters this week

He was pointing out your double standard. Look at the trash your peeps have been saying about all RFC posters this week
But it goes both ways. I'm not seeing any gay hating posts though.

Chris Scott already mouthing off saying Richmond were better last year. Pfft. Can’t coach, can’t sledge. What a lemon
Richmond were a better side at this time last year. He's correct in his summation, the Tigers are yet to prove otherwise and they have to win the flag to prove otherwise. But currently, right at this moment Chris Scott is correct.

But it goes both ways. I'm not seeing any gay hating posts though.

He's referring to past form. I know for example one of your more prolific posters is famous for their completely feral and abusive PM's to posters.

We are not saying all cats fans are like that flog, and that was the point Sterge was sarcastically trying to make

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond were a better side at this time last year. He's correct in his summation, the Tigers are yet to prove otherwise and they have to win the flag to prove otherwise. But currently, right at this moment Chris Scott is correct.

We were but we limped into the Prelim with a dodgy Dusty and some gastro around the club.
I’m worried about the 2 games in 4 weeks and Geelong being the better side all year. Can’t believe they are paying 3:50. Geelong look big and strong like their Premierships sides.
Hawkins missing is helpful but it’s 50/50 game surely?

I don’t get your reasoning. It looks like you’re basing that purely on results, yet simply making the GF or being competitive tomorrow night would prove otherwise, we don’t have to win the GF to have a better material result than last year.
It’s pretty obvious we are travelling better than this time last year, and in any case, it’s a stupid thing for a coach to say. Why add fuel to the fire?

Dimma, all class:

"Chris is very good at giving you an insult without giving you an insult, I reckon. I love the way he goes about it, I love that football club really," he said.

"They're something we admire to be – they've been incredible performer over a long period of time. That's something our football club is starting to get an understanding of and to create that long-term success."

The bolded bit is clearly not true.

Richmond were a better side over the home and away of 2018 than we were over the entirety of the 2019 H&A, but we dropped off our form the last few weeks of last year leading into finals and just couldnt maintain the intensity for 26 odd weeks. Club has admitted as much.

This year we started poorly, so our entire year has not been as good as last but we are playing much better football now than at the same time last year. So yes Chris' comments are probably technically true, but I'm not sure how they are helpful, and given there was no need for them I think they are probably a little disrespectful.

Is it usual for cats fans to be so scared around these parts or this normal

cant wait for tomorrow night
That's interesting. Let's ignore the false bravado of Richmond supporters for a minute. Under the arrogance and cockiness guise is a real fear and trepidation heading into this game.

How do I know? Firstly, you were entrenched in the Hawkins tribunal decision, following every back and forth cross examination closely. Then you listened intently to what Chris Scott had to say in his press conference trying to find validation by picking apart his words in an attempt to instil some real confidence in what you believe will happen tomorrow night. Lastly, you're keeping an eager eye on the weather forecast 'hoping' like hell you gain something from it.

I can't speak for any other Geelong supporter but I couldn't give two shits what Damien Hardwick says and I don't care less about the make-up of your team either. I don't bother listening to an opposition coaches presser.

I'm not manufacturing confidence like you lot. I actually believe Geelong will win ... rain, hail or shine.

You lot can keep looking for something that makes you believe.

I think there are 3 scenario's that can play out tomorrow night, and it depends which form you trust as to what you think is likely to happen

Formlines
Richmond pre bye - I think we were 7-6 and percentage around 94%, put in some solid undermanned performances but were outclassed more than once by the good teams.
Ricmond Post Bye - 10-0 with a percentage around 155%, playing 6 games against teams that were at that stage above us on the ladder, a couple of gutsy wins against really good opposition who had us on the back foot early.

Geelong Pre Bye - 10-2 I believe, with a percentage around 140% ( I am probably a little off from exact numbers), very hard draw, racked up some great pressure wins against good teams, defending and scoring well with very high scoring effeciency.
Geelongs Post Bye - 6-6 with very patchy form and percentage not much better than about 105%, still solid defensively, but struggling going forward especially with accuracy, cant string 2 good games together.

So the 3 scenarios are

Richmond Pre Bye v Geelong Pre Bye - Geelong probably win this by 40+ and this is really the game we saw in round 12. Honestly cant see this happening, we would need 2 reversals of form and I'm confident at the least Richmond will bring close to ther post bye form.

Richmond Post Bye v Geelong Post Bye - On current form the most likely scenario and what the bookies odds are based on, geelong showed signs last week of turning this around but do you trust them? Richmond probably win this game 30+

Richmond Post Bye v Geelong Pre Bye - 50/50 game and will be an epic, I think most of us trust Richmond can bring the post bye form, but arent sure on Geelong returning to Pre Bye form, especially missing Hawkins. If they can and last week was a turning point then we are in for a cracker and the margin will be inside 2 goals either way, will probaby depend on each teams big game players, wouldnt discount Danger winning it off his own boot.

I suppose tomorrow night we will see, cant wait I have front row seats right behind the goals at Punt rd end. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

If a coach of a top team said ahead of an encounter with Gold Coast: "They're a poor team and they're really struggling, so we're expecting an easy victory", he'd probably be correct. It would still be ungracious and he would be rightfully slammed for it. As I've said elsewhere, though, the biggest problem is that it makes it seem that he's desperate to give his boys some confidence and as a result gives the opposite message.

Back