AFL Autopsy Rnd 12: Loss to the Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

We were averaging almost 10 tackles inside 50 before last nights match, we only had 2, it really is a big part of us playing well.

Previous lows of 5 and 6 were against Port and Brisbane also.

snelling is a bid part of that
His pressure is immense

Last 10 minutes you can tell we were cooked
Definitely. Used all the gas to catch up before they steamrolled us. Still not disappointed as we're significantly less seasoned than Richmond - they have so many bigger bodies and all of them always seemed to be moving. I'm confident we'll be moving like that in a couple of years.

Although Darcy picked up 44, Richmond's disposals were much more evenly spread. I think it's indicative of their system and it's what we need. I fully expect Darcy's disposal numbers to drop next year, with Ham out and Shiel and Caldwell back. If Ham, Perkins and Zaharakis (or who ever is in instead) pick up more disposals our system is rolling more evenly and less reliant on Darcy. That's what I'm looking forward to.

We were averaging almost 10 tackles inside 50 before last nights match, we only had 2, it really is a big part of us playing well.

Yep - couldn’t exert any pressure inside 50 last night which is one the reasons Tigers ball use was so precise all night - even in the patches where we seemed to largely be controlling the game.

Smith and Snelling not being there hurt but our entries were a bit haphazard and shallow for the most which didn’t allow us to get representation at the fall of the ball and get a bit of a swarm going.

Richmond had theirlittle taps out of congestion to an open player on the fringe of the contest working to perfection last night. It's incredibly annoying how when they do it an oval ball seems to bounce straight like a round ball, we try it and it breaks left and right all over the shop.

Good on them though. You don't win 3 flags in 4 years by fluking them, and we matched them for the best part.

Yeah, that single kick was worth 8 goals.

That's me convinced. Trade him.

But if he does snap what should’ve been a pretty standard goal, we go 8pts up & prob go on & win it.

There’s defining moments in games & that was one for us. No need to get all melodramatic & take his message out of context. Calm down.

Richmond had theirlittle taps out of congestion to an open player on the fringe of the contest working to perfection last night. It's incredibly annoying how when they do it an oval ball seems to bounce straight like a round ball, we try it and it breaks left and right all over the shop.

Good on them though. You don't win 3 flags in 4 years by fluking them, and we matched them for the best part.

I actually hate that part of their game, along with their chaos ball/surge BS. Can't deny it's effective, but it's not clean/pretty football, and I don't find it all that entertaining to watch.

I thought your blokes played really well.

You see it all the time... a team grapples back a lead after being down then get overrun. might have been different if you did not get injurie.

impressed with Parish .. great game and good speech when taken unaware. Future leader I reckon. Out of contract ... I reckon he would look really good wit the yellow sash rather than the red. 😎

plenty of upside.... could be worse.... you could be a blues or pies supporter .

I thought your blokes played really well.

You see it all the time... a team grapples back a lead after being down then get overrun. might have been different if you did not get injurie.

impressed with Parish .. great game and good speech when taken unaware. Future leader I reckon. Out of contract ... I reckon he would look really good wit the yellow sash rather than the red. 😎

plenty of upside.... could be worse.... you could be a blues or pies supporter .

100% spent everything to get there and then Richmond did what Richmond do and responded.

I also reckon it's the way you respond or score that can really break down teams too.
If Jack marks a ball at the top of the square after a muddled kick it's a bit different to Dusty bombing one from 55m. That's a heartbreaker that one, sucks the life out of a team.

Stringers miss, clock starts to get into that final 13mins and then some back breaker goals robs a team of all momentum.

"Real" margin was probably what it was for most of the night 20-27 points, not 39.

Really good lesson for our guys though, generated similar moments but didn't capitalise. Some from some unrewarded umpiring decisions and others from just the lack of class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Bombers, the experience of playing one of the best teams in the competition will not be wasted.

We will learn much from this game and will be a better team as a result.

We worried them, and showed we have the team to beat them.

Parish one of the elite in the league in a young team with an emerging elite list.

Next

Losing Mcgrath early with Tippa on one leg forced us to move Hind forward. We really missed his drive off half back, even though he wasn't too bad forward.

One thing is clear, Bolton is a gun. He is single handedly keeping Tigers in the race. We could do with that sort player.

Grimes, love him or hate him, is a very good defender and a very good match up for Stringer.
Stringer should have had 3 goals on the night. Why on earth he passed off to Waterman I will never know and you would normally expect him to make the snap just after we took the lead. A 2 or 3 goal night would have been pretty good. Not an awful game from him. Got himself chances.

At the end of a day we are still building our style of footy and in the higher pressure games we are still learning how to deal with it. This was always going to be different to last week as WC do not play an all out pressure game so if you get the ball movement right you can attack against them. It is a different / messy style when you play the Tigers and you have to have your defense and positioning spot on. Thought it was a decent effort until they got 10 points in front again and then we just rolled over. Really disappointing last 10 minutes but the rest was decent.
McGrath going down highlighted why we need to hold our midfield depth.

Question: "Nick Hind's positioning in the second half – can you talk us through, was there a bit of a role change for him?"

Rutten: "Yeah there was, he started down at half-back as he normally does but you know once we lost McGrath there were a few moving parts to be able to cover that. You know Perkins – who has been playing a bit more forward – played midfield. So that left us a bit short across half-forward so we've got the flexibility with Matt Guelfi, we moved him to half-back. Then Hind played a little bit forward and on the wing which we know he's done in the past. So we thought he gave us a bit of spark and a bit of run and he had a couple of shots on goal, wasn't quite able to you know convert a couple of those longer shots."

So;

McGrath: Midfield > Bench
Guelfi: Bench > Half-back
Hind: Half-back > Half-forward
Perkins: Half-forward > Midfield

Later question he also mentioned that Langford and Stringer also spent some more time in the midfield, and obviously Ambrose came in from the sub rule.

That's Rutten's explanation :)

P.S. The Amart ad is actually kinda funny. If I have to watch an ad it might as well be amusing.

Just on point. We are not just missing Lynch and Nank but also Lambert and our fullback in Astbury.

That a side, I am seriously impressed with your youth! They are really exciting and games like tonight bring heaps of learnings, they will be better. I said when Truck was appointed you would be on a winner, and was poo pooed. I have met him a few times and like Hardwick he is 100% a players coach, watch your kids continue to thrive.

Anyway, best of luck for the rest of the year

Not trying to be a dick but how do you read the Richmond board? Obviously game day threads aren’t a good place for football discussion but to have seemingly a huge percentage of posts in the preview and autopsy threads read like the comments section on Facebook makes my brain hurt.

Losing Mcgrath early with Tippa on one leg forced us to move Hind forward. We really missed his drive off half back, even though he wasn't too bad forward.

One thing is clear, Bolton is a gun. He is single handedly keeping Tigers in the race. We could do with that sort player.
Exactly the type we need to target at the draft along with the big bodied mid. It is good going more defensive over the ground but you need the odd guy who can blow the struggle open and with Tippas age it is becoming a priority.

Question: "Nick Hind's positioning in the second half – can you talk us through, was there a bit of a role change for him?"

Rutten: "Yeah there was, he started down at half-back as he normally does but you know once we lost McGrath there were a few moving parts to be able to cover that. You know Perkins – who has been playing a bit more forward – played midfield. So that left us a bit short across half-forward so we've got the flexibility with Matt Guelfi, we moved him to half-back. Then Hind played a little bit forward and on the wing which we know he's done in the past. So we thought he gave us a bit of spark and a bit of run and he had a couple of shots on goal, wasn't quite able to you know convert a couple of those longer shots."

So;

McGrath: Midfield > Bench
Guelfi: Bench > Half-back
Hind: Half-back > Half-forward
Perkins: Half-forward > Midfield

It was tough because Zaka was the one filling a midfield rotation for McGrath before he pinged a hammy.

I know he’s limited offensively but I think we could have mitigated our lack of rotations further by playing Ambrose as a wingman instead of a marking forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back