PC Rome II: Total War

Remove this Banner Ad

It's better than the last ones.

Negatives: AI is pretty shitty in the tutorial. I get that it is handholding, so hopefully that is the main issue. Very badly optimised game.

What now? Will see if the AI is better on max difficulty. Will improve with patches. Not much else to say.
The AI definitely improves, I have seen some interesting tactics.

As for poor optimisation, really? Full settings with no latency or glitches, runs absolutely beautifully on my notebook. My friend has a pretty dated rig and it's the same thing. Do you have the latest driver for your graphics card?

Even though I preloaded, for some reason Steam appears to be downloading a patch even though mine says 9.9gb of 9.9gb stating I have 21 hours eta to finish download.

Even though I preloaded, for some reason Steam appears to be downloading a patch even though mine says 9.9gb of 9.9gb stating I have 21 hours eta to finish download.
Whoa really?

Did you get that sorted? My friend seemed to have issues but just needed to make some space on his HD and then it updated and installed instantly, like it did for me.

The update may be the Greek cities DLC that came free with pre-orders.

Whoa really?

Did you get that sorted? My friend seemed to have issues but just needed to make some space on his HD and then it updated and installed instantly, like it did for me.

The update may be the Greek cities DLC that came free with pre-orders.

It was strange, when it was "downloading" at 0 bits/sec the progress bar was moving and the time was decreasing but, when it actually downloaded something (speeds fluctuating between 0 and 400kb/sec) the progress bar stopped moving and the time increase (said eta was about a 1 day 21 hours at one point when it was downloading at 400kb/sec).

In the end I cracked it and left the comp sit there for an hour, came back and it had finished.

It was strange, when it was "downloading" at 0 bits/sec the progress bar was moving and the time was decreasing but, when it actually downloaded something (speeds fluctuating between 0 and 400kb/sec) the progress bar stopped moving and the time increase (said eta was about a 1 day 21 hours at one point when it was downloading at 400kb/sec).

In the end I cracked it and left the comp sit there for an hour, came back and it had finished.

I had that same thing downloading at the incredibly high speeds of 23kb/per second. Good times

I had that same thing downloading at the incredibly high speeds of 23kb/per second. Good times
This is so strange. Either it runs really well for some people, or they have some issues. Often the case for new games, however mine updated and installed nearly instantly and has run perfectly on maxed out settings.

Maybe it has something to do with different driver versions... Oh well, best thing you can do is head off to the forums and see if anyone has had similar performance issues and if there is a fix.

This is so strange. Either it runs really well for some people, or they have some issues. Often the case for new games, however mine updated and installed nearly instantly and has run perfectly on maxed out settings.

Maybe it has something to do with different driver versions... Oh well, best thing you can do is head off to the forums and see if anyone has had similar performance issues and if there is a fix.

I think it's my graphics card. I've been trying a few different things in regards to the low frame rate of battles. Hopefully I can find a solution.

Played for a bit last night. It needs some hard-core patching :(

Performance is rough compared to Shogun 2, battle AI is highly inconsistent to say the least and the UI is a genuine step down from Shogun 2's. I'm playing it on medium-high settings and it still looks good, and generally does its setting justice in much more impressive manner than any TW before it (though I run Shogun 2 at close to maximum settings with a much better frame-rate).

Saying that, the combined naval/land battles (though pretty wonky still when trying to beach your ships, for example) are an awesome addition. I love the speed of the naval battles, too. Actually there are a ton of general improvements (alongside a few regresses); the campaign map looks so much better than before, I like the way local regions work so you can run them in chunks instead of micro managing every city every turn, the cities are a huge step up from before and now feel like proper cities when invading (Carthage, in particular is stunning); the historical battles, though few in number (only 4!) are also seem pretty outstanding and a big step forward. I also love the cinematic cam, the new options that make marching your army in formation a much easier task than before and a bunch of other stuff.

It will be the best Total War game ...in a few months (well, for me at least. I'm not sure how Total War veterans will take to it in time). With much patching (which always happens), a decent expansion (which I hope is a Civ V style "expand from within" style expansion) and the mod support that is coming it'll be amazing, but its just too rough at the moment. I'm probably going to wait for a bit or play Shogun 2 whilst some performance patches come through in the very least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Performance is the worst I have seen in a Total War game. The system I am using is the same one I use for Shogun 2 and Empire and I have no issues with them.

Not 100% happy with the interface but I may get used to it. Not sure why they keep wanting to change things that work. The AI in the tutorial is weak.

But said, there are some good advances as well, prefer the recruitment and city building. Mass army movement better. Unlike many other Total War games, missile fire does not appear to be too strong.

Performance is the worst I have seen in a Total War game. The system I am using is the same one I use for Shogun 2 and Empire and I have no issues with them.

Not 100% happy with the interface but I may get used to it. Not sure why they keep wanting to change things that work. The AI in the tutorial is weak.

But said, there are some good advances as well, prefer the recruitment and city building. Mass army movement better. Unlike many other Total War games, missile fire does not appear to be too strong.

This.

I know where all the info I need is in Shogun 2. It was set-up in that game so the small details were pretty easily spotted and logically place, but in Rome II, I'm constantly looking around for that same info. I have to dig it up, and I never really had that feeling in Shogun 2. Considering I more or less know what I'm supposed to be looking for and am still finding it awkward, I can only imagine how newcomers to the series (or those who haven't played since Rome 1) would be handling this. It just adds a lot to the learning process that is completely unnecessary. And this leads to the next problem (and one that should be non-negotiable for launch)...

For *s sake CA, SUPPLY A MANUAL. I mean, holy s**t. This has to be the first strategy game I've bought off Steam that doesn't have a PDF link. Paradox's games and Civ V have highly detailed, 100+ page manuals, and one of these would solve so many problems. I know it has an in-game encyclopaedia, but its awkward, its web-based and thus SLOW, and I have to be in-game to read it. Just give me a fully detailed manual, with an index.

So far so good, the battles are paced rather well and the campaign map is awesome. A little overwhelming at first as i have only played Rome and Medieval Total War games and the new interface took a long time to get going. I run the game quite well although when units get mashed up into a mosh pit for example in a small street the game chops up somewhat ordinary. Finished the prolugue and about to get into the main game. Impressed so far but that being said hopefully they get a patch to fix up and polish some more of the minor details.

I quite like it after today. Needs patches. Needs mods. WIll be a great game, I hope people stick around to play it when it is.

Tried Sparta on legendary. Terrible things happened.

Decided to use Athens as a buffer and took as many men as I could raise south to the little island there. Money was already running short by the time I arrived and I needed that town to raise funds and also disband some of my force. Not only did Macedon decide to make Athens disown me when they saw my capital was weakened the islanders sallied forth with the entire garrison able to sally out with them (something I didn't realise) and utterly slaughtered me. The whole battle was like 300, only much quicker.

My attempt at javelin superiority ended up a massive 2:1 failure and within a few seconds of skirmishing 2 units were ready to rout. I drew them back behind my hoplite wall with 3 javelin units to throw over the top of my phalanxes into theirs to hopefully soften them up and the other 2 ready to swing behind my weak(er) right flank and hopefully pincushion a few units and allow my phalynx to sweep down the line while my cavalry ran their skirmishers around. My mounted javelin force I used to distract and draw their forces towards my stronger left flank where hopefully I could hold them long enough for my right flank to break through.

It didn't work very well. The distraction worked almost too well and drew a cavalry charge, 3 phalynx and 2 mobs into my left flank while every other unit along my line was already engaged with at least one enemy. My javelins over the back did a little bit of damage, but nothing compared to the endless rain they were throwing down on me and despite my flanking manoeuvre on my right flank working flawlessly it soon became apparent that their individual hoplites were actually just as strong (if not stronger) than even my best units. I held firm for a while and my javelin flanking force racked up a few hundred kills, but eventually the reinforcements came just as I was about to break anyway and washed over me like waves on a rock.

Utterly dominated and I had barely any survivors.

I take back what I said about the AI. Battle AI gets a big tick from me in regards to open field battles. They had a huge advantage, but boy did they make use of it.

Campaign AI then decided to bombard Sparta and I decided to cut my losses and actually play with some restraint with my next campaign. Terrible decisions that the AI completely took advantage of.

Great hour of gaming!

It's nice to hear a detailed report about the AI performing well. It's quite possible that there are "good" AI routines waiting to be triggered, and its the triggers themselves which need adjusting. The weekly Friday patches begin soon and CA have already promised they are adjusting AI and tweaking performance.

They really need to get a public beta going for TW pre-orders. It would solve all of this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back