Ron Casey 1928-2000

Remove this Banner Ad

hey there, here is a letter that i wrote for another forum. I hope it puts into perspective what a great man Ron Casey was and his what his contribution to football and sport in australia was all about
-------------------------------------------

You would have all heard by now the sad passing of Ron Casey who died yesterday after a long illness.

Being a North supporter it shocked me as i was at a club function last night and all 2000 members, players and officals were told by our C.E.O Greg Miller. Ron was given 3 cheers, the theme song was played, we cried alot and it was a sad end to a great evening.

I have never met Ron Casey but he was my chairman, a man that would give all he had to the club he loved so much. He wasn't an outspoken president like some others, but all his energy and drive were for the betterment of the roos and the benefit of our great game. He was instrumental in getting north to play friday night matches, getting the brownlow medal telecast live on tv, getting the grand final broadcast live on tv and he was fully behind the roos push into sydney to increase the awareness of our sport into NSW to make a great national Competition

Ron had royal and white blood in his veins and several incidences in the 1990's showed how much he loved the roos.

On the low side you saw him openly weep after North's failure to merge with Fitzroy and after North's 1998 fadeout loss to the Crows. You also saw the highs with him beaming proudly at the 1996 North Melbourne Grand Final Breakfast, his great interview with Neil Kerley after our win against the Swans and his beaming smile and clap of appreciation in last year's Grand final.

There was more to Ron Casey than just the North Melbourne Football Club, He pioneered sports broadcasting in Melbourne. He ran a show, World of sport that went for 28 years, called all major olympic games and world boxing title fights and started a football panel tradition that has made the way for today's shows that without his invention would never have started.

This North Melbourne Kangaroos fan would like to say thanks Ron for all you have done for not only to football community but also for all you have done for the sporting community of Australia over the years.

We will miss you and hope that the mighty roo boys can win the flag for you, the way us supporters think they should

Paul Menotti
A Kangaroos Member since 1997"

Well said Paul. He was a fantastic person across many fields and a fine servant of the North Melbourne Football Club. His passing, though not unexpected, has cast a pall over the whole club. It will be interesting to see whether the club continues to follow his vision. Vale Ron,we'll miss you.

Yes, well said Paul. I'm sure everyone, not only North Melbourne fans, are mourning the loss of a wonderful man.

To Ron, you were a great man and your efforts with our club will never be forgotten. Condolences to the Casey family and all involved in the North Melbourne Football Club.

R.I.P Ron.

C'mon Rooboys, lets win it for Ron in 2000!

Heer Heer Paul, well said.

World of Sport alone made him a footy legend without even taking into account his truly great work at the helm of the Roos.

Interesting you mentioned his low key approach, unlike some others in the comp that put their name on a grandstand. Reminds me of that saying about emty vessels make the most noise (or something like that). If the footy club decides to name say Arden street oval after him now (that would be fitting, young fans in the future certainly won't be asking "who the hell was Ron Casey?" Which is what you can guarantee will happen down at Optus.

Three cheers for Ron Casey hip hip.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back