Preview Round 1, 2020: Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions, 22 March 2020, 3.20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Early days but at no stage in either marsh game did we have aerial superiority in defence. So we didn’t get the benefit of the height and none of Frawley, frost or McEvoy provide run and spread from defence. It is difficult to see how it will work in practice. I’m sure some games it will look good but the big thing Richmond do is not push everyone back which enables them to not get our number in their forward line. All they try to do is bring the ball to ground and work the ball through their even numbers. At that point our talls are a liability. Brisbane don’t use the ball going forward as well as Richmond so let’s hope it does give us an edge.
I'm not talking just in defence.
We are taller forward as well.

No idea whether it will work at all or is even the real plan.

Team sheet lineups aren't worth the paper they are printed on for us.

Whatever the plan is we are certainly taller than last year

We went into the 2015 grand final old and slow and tall and that worked out ok.

Not saying this will but we don't have the list to play Richmond's game so the question is can Clarko make a plan for our list that is good enough

I think stacking the back line with height clarko is putting his own spin on the tigers strategy.

- Forces our wingers deep into defense
- Half fwds high up the ground
-Patton will be the long option like lynch.
-If we can be predictable with our ball movment it makes the half fwd life easier.

Sicily,Smith,Scrimshaw will provide plenty of run and clean ball use from defence.

Hopefully Breust,Burgoyne,Wingard,Poppy will benefit knowing where the footy is always going lets see how it all unfolds sunday!

I think stacking the back line with height clarko is putting his own spin on the tigers strategy.

- Forces our wingers deep into defense
- Half fwds high up the ground
-Patton will be the long option like lynch.
-If we can be predictable with our ball movment it makes the half fwd life easier.

Sicily,Smith,Scrimshaw will provide plenty of run and clean ball use from defence.

Hopefully Breust,Burgoyne,Wingard,Poppy will benefit knowing where the footy is always going lets see how it all unfolds sunday!

I just hope that our tall forwards don’t get dragged up the ground. Because with a setup like that you may quickly find that you’re winning the ball but have nobody to kick to, or you’re kicking it to someone like Poppy who doubled back and is now 3v1. Ideally Patton plays the deepest but it can be easy to want to match your opponent and wander higher up.

I wonder if the Hawks coaching staff will be strategically placed around the ground with head sets on to communicate with each other.

Forward line coach behind the goals backline coach behind the goals, with Clarko and Mitch roaming around the outside of the ground

They could even yell instructions out to the players over the fence if needed.

Will be interesting to watch and see what happens.

(No point all being stuck inside a coach’s box with no crowd security risks)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was damaging though.
It's when your slow forwards aren't that it becomes an issue.
Pressure is less important when you mark.
Also if you are drawing defenders to jump.

If they don't stay down they can't run as easily.

One slow forward who can mark and body out opponent's more than chase on the ground isn't bad, he's effective in his own way

Hale wasn't quick but he sure helped our forward line function, not just as a target but as a decoy.
Maybe it's just something this team isn't really used to. You bring up Hale but he was good at pressure despite his size, as was McEvoy whenever we sent him up there they were. I don't know what the stats ever said but they always knew what to do.

We were spoiled by Roughead and various other guys, most forwards can't do it all. And it's honestly not that important for a tall forward to pressure unless he plays all around the ground (or you have a lot of tall forwards).

INT: Jack Gunston, Liam Shiels, Oliver Hanrahan, Paul Puopolo
I think I'd prefer only one of Poppy / Hanrahan and have Wingard and Scrimshaw split their midfield minutes.

I guess selection see it differently

ROUND 1 TEAM

B: Ben Stratton, James Frawley, Ben McEvoy

HB: James Sicily, Sam Frost, Harry Morrison

C: Tom Scully, Jaeger O’Meara, Ricky Henderson

HF: Luke Breust, Shaun Burgoyne, Isaac Smith

F: Tim O’Brien, Jon Patton, Chad Wingard

R: Jon Ceglar, James Worpel, Tom Mitchell

INT: Jack Gunston, Liam Shiels, Oliver Hanrahan, Paul Puopolo

EMG: Conor Nash, Jack Scrimshaw, Michael Hartley, James Cousins

Only explanation for no Scrimshaw is they don't feel he has had a solid enough pre season with injury.

This plus his history of injuries probably worked against him. Although can see Gunston or Timmy O coming out as a late change.

Think Nash should’ve gotten the nod ahead of Poppy based on preseason form. Poppy and Ollie along with Wingard and Bruest allows us the flexibility to play Silk in the backline if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back